Off-topic discussions about regional news, issues and politics. Pretty much everything goes here, but keep it polite: Flaming and spamming aren't welcome.
no avatar
User

Brian Curl

NIMBUS FOR MAYOR !!!

by Brian Curl » Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:14 pm

Nimbus Couzin, a professor of physics and small business owner, has announced he will run as an independent for mayor of Louisville Metro Government. Couzin teaches physics programs at the University of Louisville Medical School, founded a brewery in Arizona and is the owner of Ray's Monkey House Coffeehouse/Roastery in the Highlands. He announced his “intent to file the necessary petitions” to run for mayor through a press release Monday.

Couzin said the decision to run was “tough,” but he said the city needs change.

“There are a lot of issues not being addressed,” Couzin said. “The candidates that are considering running will do business as usual.”

Couzin says his platform will stress giving incentives and tax breaks to local, independent and green businesses instead of deals for “corporate parasites” like Cordish, which built 4th Street Live. He also will run on a policy of sustainability over grown, community policing, replacing current police commissioners with a civilian board and stressing academics over athletics at all levels.

On the sustainability issue, Couzin's press release says: “In other words, power that doesn't go out every time the wind blows, instead of corporate tax giveaways.”

The only other person who has announced mayoral aspirations is Louisville businessman Greg Fischer, who will run as a Democrat
no avatar
User

Brian Curl

Re: NIMBUS FOR MAYOR !!!

by Brian Curl » Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:21 pm

Nimbus, do you think you could fire the whole city government and just run everythiing out of Ray's? This could be a huge money saver!

I don't like the part of education over athletics however. You may want to leave that out because it will cost you all UoL and UK fan votes which is uhhh, just about everyone in Jefferson County. lol
User

Antonia L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:28 am

Cherokee Triangle

by Antonia L » Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:24 pm

First and only HotBytes forum member running for mayor? HotBytesPAC may have to endorse. If, in fact, HotBytes actually did have a political action committee.
no avatar
User

Brian Curl

by Brian Curl » Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:27 pm

Nimbus, does this mean you will shave your beard and put on a suit?
no avatar
User

PatrickWhelan

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:01 pm

Shelby Park

by PatrickWhelan » Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:32 pm

Nimbus good luck my friend! You certainly have my support.
Patrick Whelan
Logan Street Market
Safai Coffee & Tea
900 E. Kentucky St.
Louisville, KY 40204
502-693-3865
User

Marsha L.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:56 pm

Louisville, KY

by Marsha L. » Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:01 pm

I have already seen Nimbus in a suit and he has zero problems looking (and being, I'm sure!) respectable.
Marsha Lynch
LEO columnist, free range cook/food writer/food stylist
User

Shawn Vest

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:10 pm

850 main street, charlestown, indiana

by Shawn Vest » Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:55 pm

I'll cast my sunnyside vote for Nimbus

and i second the academics over athletics.......coaches should never earn more than teachers
Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza. D Barry
www.ctownpizzaco.com
850 MAIN 812-256-2699
User

Suzi Bernert

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:08 pm

Louisville, KY

by Suzi Bernert » Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:01 pm

Brian Curl wrote:Nimbus, do you think you could fire the whole city government and just run everythiing out of Ray's? This could be a huge money saver!

Hey! Wait a minute...there are a lot of hard working people in metro gov. Just get rid of all the Directors/Deputy Mayors/CEOs/Commissars/Advisors/Department Heads and let the folks who know what works run it. :D

Good Luck Nimbus!!
Retired from LMEMS
Co-Founder and House Mother
Berndows Enterprise
"Time to eat?"
User

Nimbus Couzin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:05 pm

by Nimbus Couzin » Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:53 pm

Brian Curl wrote:Nimbus, do you think you could fire the whole city government and just run everythiing out of Ray's? This could be a huge money saver!

I don't like the part of education over athletics however. You may want to leave that out because it will cost you all UoL and UK fan votes which is uhhh, just about everyone in Jefferson County. lol

Haha...thanks for he support. No, I wouldn't fire all of gov't. But that doesn't mean I wouldn't look at how things are being done. I'm pretty certain there is a BUNCH of waste in the system. I've experienced multiple local gov't systems and most are pretty similar. Exactly how to go about the reforms will be the tricky part.

As for education over athletics, U of L is pretty much off limits to Louisville jurisdiction. We won't touch it. I'm talking JCPS. Junior high and HS kids aren't bringing in money, and they shouldn't be dying on the practice fields. I'm a big time sports fan myself, and I play hoops as much as I can (tyler park pickup games, or Cherokee - anyone want to play? Seriously). I spent Sat morning with my big kid (Leone Ray, 6 1/2 yrs old) while he played baseball on his YMCA team. And he does karate twice weekly. It is just that the public schools NEED to emphasize academics. They need PE badly, yes. But they also need critical thinking, arts and humanities. Less rote learning for standardized testing. It is many issues, and athletics is only a small part of the problem. Overall, I'm pro-athletics, but we need some balance.

Cheers!
Dr. Nimbus Couzin
User

Nimbus Couzin

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Nimbus Couzin » Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:57 pm

Brian Curl wrote:Nimbus, does this mean you will shave your beard and put on a suit?

My campaign manager said no suit, no tie, no shaving for the formal picture. Be myself.

I'm kind of running against the suits and ties. Against the business as usual. Yeah, I can do it, but isn't it just a big act? I'm determined to be different, rather than just another shade of the same.
Dr. Nimbus Couzin
User

Nimbus Couzin

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Nimbus Couzin » Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:57 pm

PatrickWhelan wrote:Nimbus good luck my friend! You certainly have my support.

Thank you. I appreciate it. And tell a friend..Haha.....(campaigning already)
Dr. Nimbus Couzin
User

Nimbus Couzin

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Nimbus Couzin » Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:59 pm

Marsha L. wrote:I have already seen Nimbus in a suit and he has zero problems looking (and being, I'm sure!) respectable.

Yeah, I'll certainly do it when necessary. No problemo....
Dr. Nimbus Couzin
User

Nimbus Couzin

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Nimbus Couzin » Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:04 pm

Shawn Vest wrote:I'll cast my sunnyside vote for Nimbus

and i second the academics over athletics.......coaches should never earn more than teachers

Thanks. The athletics thing may touch a raw nerve. As a sports junkie myself, I think I'll be able to explain my views as the topic evolves.

Coaches in big dollar programs (like U of L) do need to be paid big bucks. They're basically celebs. But that is really state tax dollars being spent, not Louisville. So the Mayor has no say over those decisions. Coaches in HS should be paid like other teachers. Athletics can be an important part of the learning process, but you can't neglect the academics.
Dr. Nimbus Couzin
User

Nimbus Couzin

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Nimbus Couzin » Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:08 pm

Suzi Bernert wrote:

Hey! Wait a minute...there are a lot of hard working people in metro gov. Just get rid of all the Directors/Deputy Mayors/CEOs/Commissars/Advisors/Department Heads and let the folks who know what works run it. :D

Good Luck Nimbus!!

Thanks!!! I appreciate it...

There are a lot of hard workers. Definitely. There probably is a lot of administrative bloat also.. Change can be difficult, especially when people grow accustomed to a cushy system. That will be tricky, and it will take time. But I will pursue a serious "shake-up." Which will create opposition (of course). But it will be for the good of the city. Reform is never easy...

Cheers!
Dr. Nimbus Couzin
User

Paul Mick

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:38 am

Downtown

by Paul Mick » Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:54 pm

I still have yet to meet you in person, but from what I know you have my vote. Good luck! :D

Shawn Vest wrote:and i second the academics over athletics.......coaches should never earn more than teachers

That depends upon the level of athletics you're talking about Shawn. I pretty much agree with Nimbus' position. At U of L, football and basketball bring in much more money to the University than the salaries paid to Pitino and Kragthorpe. Plus, at the Division I level, such athletics can produce a great deal of positive publicity for the University. It's easy to say that academics is more important than athletics (it is ;)) but it is much harder to cope with the reality of actually running a university, making it popular with prospective students, and balancing the budget.

However, I couldn't agree more when it comes to high school sports.
"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."--J.R.R. Tolkien
Next