Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

JD Barger

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Apr 11, 2009 1:01 pm

New Albanian Brewhouse Bad Experience

by JD Barger » Sat Jul 25, 2009 10:01 am

Our group finally made the trip over to the much hyped Brewhouse. We love the concept of great beer and food, but many of us felt the both fell very short of our expectations. First the beer, I have enjoyed New Albanian Beer in the past, but the brew last night was warmer then usual, almost "hot". We inquired about this to our server ( who was very bothered by us asking the question) and said that is how they serve it! It was the begining of a downhill spiral. The server by this point made it very obvious that we asked the wrong question. The mussels were also overcooked. We decided that it was time to go. We drove back across the river and enjoyed a meal at Ramsis.
Last edited by JD Barger on Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
User

Marsha L.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:56 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: New Albanian Brewhouse Terrible

by Marsha L. » Sat Jul 25, 2009 12:13 pm

JD Barger wrote:Our group finally made the trip over to the much hyped Brewhouse. We love the concept of great beer and food, but many of us felt the both fell very short of our expectations.

I'm sorry you didn't enjoy yourself, JD - but I'm confused: Did you guys actually stay and eat, or just have the one beer?
Marsha Lynch
LEO columnist, free range cook/food writer/food stylist
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

by Steve P » Sat Jul 25, 2009 12:30 pm

Without disputing the fact that you had a negative experience, the title of your post struck me as a little strong. Considering this was (apparently) your first visit perhaps "disappointing experience at NABC" might have been a better choice of words.
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
User

Paul Mick

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:38 am

Downtown

by Paul Mick » Sat Jul 25, 2009 12:34 pm

I'm sorry you didn't enjoy yourself. It seems to me that the server could have handled things a bit better.

However, regarding the beer temperature issue, I'd love to know what beer you ordered. Some are meant to be served warmer than others. Their hand-pull is also usually warmer than the rest. The only time you serve beer (or wine for that matter) truly cold is when you're trying to hide something. Cooler, but not cold, temperatures are reserved for lighter whites, lagers, some of the lighter more citrus-driven IPA's.

However, many European countries (especially Germany) serve their beer warm regardless of the style. Since Bank Street is trying to embrace this European sensibility, their beers will probably be warmer than what you'll find at other places around town.

I hope that helps assuage some of your shock at the warm beer, but I'm fairly certain it wasn't an accident. I don't know how busy it was or how harried your server was, but maybe a thorough explanation would have improved your experience.
"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."--J.R.R. Tolkien
User

Kyle L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri May 30, 2008 10:47 am

Highview

by Kyle L » Sat Jul 25, 2009 1:04 pm

From the German Beer Institute:

Before pouring, rinse your glass in cold water without drying it. This helps remove any detergent residues that could destroy the beer's foam. Most German beers are best poured at about 45 to 50°F (7 to 10°C). Only the exceptionally efferevescent Weissbier (Hefeweizen) likes to be poured two or three degrees cooler. Before serving any German beer that is kept in the fridge, allow it to warm up at room temperature for five or 10 minutes, because beer that is served too cold loses its complexity. For the same reason, never store German beer glasses in the freezer. Frosted glasses chill the beer too severely, dilute the taste, and numb rather than stimulate your palate.

Yes, I had this page bookmarked.
User

Roger A. Baylor

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:01 pm

New Albany

by Roger A. Baylor » Sat Jul 25, 2009 1:05 pm

I've spent the past couple of days hosting my family reunion and have been in and out, but I know we were crazy slammed last night, so anything's certainly possible. I don't take such critiques lightly and will check into it, but right now, I'm balancing baby seals on the tip of my nose and cannot. I'll be back to report on the findings after the forensic exam.
Roger A. Baylor
Beer Director at Pints&union (New Albany)
Digital Editor at Food & Dining Magazine
New Albany, Indiana
User

Paul Mick

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:38 am

Downtown

by Paul Mick » Sat Jul 25, 2009 1:14 pm

Kyle L wrote: Frosted glasses chill the beer too severely, dilute the taste, and numb rather than stimulate your palate.

Frosted glasses--only for milkshakes.

Kyle L wrote:Most German beers are best poured at about 45 to 50°F (7 to 10°C). Only the exceptionally efferevescent Weissbier (Hefeweizen) likes to be poured two or three degrees cooler.

Thanks for the exact temperatures Kyle. I didn't realize that the German's recommend serving the beer quite that cool.

Regardless, we're definitely not talking about temperatures cold enough to turn the mountains on your Coors can cold. As an aside, I really feel like their inclusion of a crude thermometer is an ingenious ploy. If people would ever try their beer when it wasn't Arctic-cold (read: warm enough to actually taste it) then they would realize that it really isn't very refreshing or tasty.
"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."--J.R.R. Tolkien
no avatar
User

Brian Curl

by Brian Curl » Sat Jul 25, 2009 1:17 pm

Your post said that both the food and beer fell short. You didn't mention what you ate or the problem wit the food? And you mentioned that you left and ate elsewhere? So I hope you ate something at Bank St if stating the food was not good.
User

Kyle L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri May 30, 2008 10:47 am

Highview

by Kyle L » Sat Jul 25, 2009 1:23 pm

Sure thing, Paul. I just remember seeing the post from the website I had archived not too long ago. But, I've had German beer served to me luke warm while staying with family in Germany, And, am here to tell you, the taste is SO different. For some reason, it seems to be a little stronger too. Of course, this may be because it was German Beer.
User

Alan H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Dec 08, 2008 5:37 pm

Highlands

by Alan H » Sat Jul 25, 2009 2:03 pm

Roger A. Baylor wrote: I'm balancing baby seals on the tip of my nose and cannot.

LMAO :lol: Can't wait to use that one at work !!
Alan Hincks
Overtime Sports Bar and Grille

A fine beer may be judged with only one sip, but it's better to be thoroughly sure.
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

by Steve P » Sat Jul 25, 2009 2:11 pm

Kyle L wrote: Frosted glasses chill the beer too severely, dilute the taste, and numb rather than stimulate your palate.

It's Saturday afternoon and I'm sitting out here in Okla-ficking-Homa-Stan where it is 99 degrees, sunny and humid. While I enjoy my "craft" beer on a very regular basis let me assure that despite what anyone tells you, there IS a time and place in this world where a cold Rolling Rock served in a nice frosty mug is quite refreshing.

Ya'll are making this beer drinking stuff WAY too complicated.
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
User

David Clancy

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:09 pm

A couch in Andy's house.

by David Clancy » Sat Jul 25, 2009 3:55 pm

Alan H wrote:
Roger A. Baylor wrote: I'm balancing baby seals on the tip of my nose and cannot.

LMAO :lol: Can't wait to use that one at work !!
Hope they aren't Harp Seals....gotta use a club to get those off....LOL
David Clancy
Fabulous Old Louisville
(Is this your homework Larry?)
User

John Hagan

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:38 pm

SPENCER CO. Lake Wazzapamani

by John Hagan » Sat Jul 25, 2009 4:14 pm

David Clancy wrote:Hope they aren't Harp Seals....gotta use a club to get those off....LOL

You better watch it...I got balled out here awhile back for making a baby seal joke.
Punch line was...warranty void if seal broken.
The tall one wants white toast, dry, with nothin' on it.
And the short one wants four whole fried chickens, and a Coke.
User

Heather Y

{ RANK }

In Time Out Room

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:07 pm

Prospect

by Heather Y » Sat Jul 25, 2009 4:32 pm

I like Root beer in a cold frosty Mug! Sippin' while I watch the seals frolick!
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Jul 25, 2009 4:37 pm

Heather Y wrote:I like Root beer in a cold frosty Mug! Sippin' while I watch the seals frolick!

And then whack 'em with the empty mug? :twisted:
Next