Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Scott_Shreffler

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Aug 21, 2007 7:05 pm

Old Nio's Location

by Scott_Shreffler » Sun Jul 05, 2009 10:33 pm

Anyone have the inside scoop on what is going into the old Nio's location? There's a huge "Coming Soon" sign with no indication of what, exactly, is coming...
Life is too short to drink cheap beer.
-Hunter S. Thompson
no avatar
User

Caroline K

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:45 am

Re: Old Nio's Location

by Caroline K » Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:07 am

My boyfriend heard it was a Los Aztecs from folks in the neighborhood-I emailed Michelle from Consuming Louisville since she posted info as well to let her know but I got El Tarasco mixed up with Aztecs...regardless it is going to be Mexican.
no avatar
User

Adrian Baldwin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:29 pm

Louisville, KY

by Adrian Baldwin » Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:58 am

The Tequila Factory.

...the owners of Sol Aztecas are behind it. It will be a 'trendy' mexican spot, with more than your standard menu.

...and will also be a lounge/club that is open til late on the weekends.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:31 am

Adrian Baldwin wrote:...the owners of Sol Aztecas are behind it. It will be a 'trendy' mexican spot, with more than your standard menu.

Not to pick on those good people, but I recall they said exactly the same thing when Sol Aztecas opened on Frankfort ...
User

Brad Keeton

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:04 pm

Highlands

by Brad Keeton » Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:03 am

Sounds kind of neat. I wonder if the same phyiscal bar will be there--I loved that bar when it was Nio's.

I hope it's good, and that they can avoid the curse of 917 Baxter Avenue.
"I don't eat vegans. They're too bony."
-Alton Brown
no avatar
User

Adrian Baldwin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville, KY

by Adrian Baldwin » Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:55 am

Said the same thing about what? We were in Sol Aztecas as it was being built, and never heard that it planned to be a lounge or more of a 'bar' w/ late hours. With regards to the Btown Rd. location, they do have some different items at the Frankfort Ave.

Anyhow, my wife is the GM of the Tequila Factory, and is working on the menu as we speak So, pretty sure I have an inside track on this one... :?

The plan currently is to bring about half of the old menus over, w/ all the favorites.......but, to have plenty of new items that will cater more to the atmosphere.

It won't be just tacos, burritos, and enchildas, I can promise you that...

As far as the 'late night' concept, I'm sure that will be a feeling out process, and be determined by the success of the spot. I do know the goal is for it to be open until the wee hours on the weekends, and that the renovation is taking that into account.
User

Brad Keeton

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands

by Brad Keeton » Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:14 pm

Adrian -- Any idea about the old Nios' bar? Either way, it sounds interesting, and the option of getting Mexican-related food late at night in a loungey location seems like a recipe for success on Baxter Ave.

Good luck to your wife. Do you have any idea of when it will open?
-Alton Brown
no avatar
User

Adam C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:43 pm

Camp Taylor aka Louisville's food desert

by Adam C » Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:15 pm

Brad Keeton wrote:I hope it's good, and that they can avoid the curse of 917 Baxter Avenue.

This ^^ and please put the Steak Tapequeno on the menu por favor!
no avatar
User

Adrian Baldwin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville, KY

by Adrian Baldwin » Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:29 pm

Well, my wife is South American, so I'm sure you can expect a Seviche or two, a 'kicked up' version of Guac, and some other items w/ a little Latin influence. There will be many more, but those are just a few things she's mentioned to me.

I'm sure she'd love to hear some requests.

I'm not quite sure about the old Nio's bar...and I believe they plan to open early August. I'm sure she'll drop in here at some point and answer these questions.
Last edited by Adrian Baldwin on Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:29 pm

Adrian Baldwin wrote:Said the same thing about what?

Adrian, it was the "more than your standard menu" thing. I'm absolutely certain that Sol Aztecas came to Frankfort Avenue with that same pledge, but it didn't happen. Not that this is necessarily a bad thing.

I'm quite sure that under your wife's guidance, if she's given reasonably free rein, good things will happen. Thanks for disclosing the connection, by the way. :)
User

Brad Keeton

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands

by Brad Keeton » Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:33 pm

Adrian Baldwin wrote: I'm sure she'd love to hear some requests.

My only suggestion would be some sort of tapas menu. I know tapas/small plates have become so common in many restaurants in Louisville now, but considering the location and the fact that many of the diners may be pre-, during, or post-night out, some small plate offerings might be a good idea. I would think that upscale/amped up/whatever Mexican style food woud lend itself well to small plate/sharing options.
-Alton Brown
no avatar
User

Adrian Baldwin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville, KY

by Adrian Baldwin » Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:01 pm

^ I agree, and have suggested the same thing.

Seems like the tapas would lend itself well to the late-night or cocktail crowd as well, as chowing down on a big mexican meal doesn't exactly work (for me at least) if I'm in a drinking mood!
no avatar
User

Caroline K

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:45 am

by Caroline K » Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:42 pm

So excited! Love the building and love there will be another option in the Highlands!! Look forward to visiting, dining and drinking soon!
User

Dave Nelson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 1:44 am

Original Highlands

by Dave Nelson » Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:55 pm

Need a chef? I know the building quite well! :lol: Adrian, good luck to your wife and all her staff. When I was the chef at Nios I remember the monthly lease payment as being quite substantial. Hopefully this concept can generate enough revenue to cover the operational costs and still pocket some profit. :mrgreen:
User

Anthony Lamas

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:41 pm

by Anthony Lamas » Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:14 pm

Need a Chef? I know Latin food quite well. My father is Puerto Rican and my mother is Spanish/Mexican. I know seviche pretty well too. My restaurant Seviche is not changing or anything, just thought I could go back and fourth, since Tequila Factory will be just down the road. It's not cursed! Just needs the right person running the place. :shock:
Next