Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

Southern Living's list of Louisville's best restaurants

by Mark R. » Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:58 pm

As part of an article on Louisville and the Derby, Southern Living magazine has published a list of their 20 best restaurants in Louisville. Here's a link to the article: Southern Living Article

It doesn't state when the restaurants were reviewed but several on the list are closed so it can't be A real recent. The list certainly contains several restaurants we would expect to be on it like Equus, Jack Fry's, The Oakroom, etc. But it also contains several that I wouldn't expect to be on it such as J Gumbo's and Cafe Bristol in the speed museum.

It's certainly is interesting to see how out of towners view the Louisville restaurant scene!
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

Susanne Smith

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 02, 2007 5:55 pm

Re: Southern Living's list of Louisville's best restaurants

by Susanne Smith » Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:37 pm

Seems for the most part a poorly researched article with very little imagination. Icons maybe, but best places to eat? Come on. Not all of them of course!! No flaming please. Just a strange list.
User

Clay Cundiff

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:54 am

by Clay Cundiff » Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:50 pm

Seventeen out of the 20 are still in business, so they've got that going for them. Which is nice.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:48 pm

Susanne Smith wrote:Seems for the most part a poorly researched article with very little imagination. Icons maybe, but best places to eat? Come on. Not all of them of course!! No flaming please. Just a strange list.

They didn't even spell "Genny's" right. No byline on the article, either, as far as I can see. I wonder if it was done by a clueless mag staffer who doesn't live here, or a less-than-competent local free-lancer.
User

Ethan Ray

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:30 pm

by Ethan Ray » Fri May 01, 2009 12:03 am

If it helps to show how dated the information is in the article...

3 | Asiatique
The menu changes seasonally, but try the wok-seared salmon if it's available. Asiatique's Pacific fusion cuisine also features unique desserts such as Bosc pear beignets or lemon grass panna cotta.

Those items were on one of my earliest dessert menus at Asiatique... in oh, around 2004. :?

Actually, upon closer examination... if you look Robin, you mention both desserts in your last review of Asiatique, (one of which was a spcecial that week)... I'm thinking they did very little hands-on reviewing (if you catch my drift).
Last edited by Ethan Ray on Fri May 01, 2009 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ethan Ray

I put vegetables in your desserts, white chocolate with your fish and other nonsense stuff that you think shouldn't make sense, but coax the nonsense into something that makes complete sense in your mouth. Just open your mind, mouth and eat.
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

by RonnieD » Fri May 01, 2009 1:15 am

While honored with being #12 on the list, I do agree that the article seems a bit out of date. The review listed is for our home store on Frankfort Ave., but one would think it might mention that we have other locations (and have had them since 2006...)
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
User

Kyle L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri May 30, 2008 10:47 am

Highview

by Kyle L » Fri May 01, 2009 10:24 am

This article was updated when Genny's last cleaned their fish tank.
no avatar
User

Linda C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:38 pm

by Linda C » Fri May 01, 2009 11:13 am

You lost me at Bristol. It's been updated since they have Napa's new location correct. However, any best of list that doesn't include Seviche is ridiculous.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri May 01, 2009 12:28 pm

Ethan Ray wrote:Actually, upon closer examination... if you look Robin, you mention both desserts in your last review of Asiatique, (one of which was a spcecial that week)... I'm thinking they did very little hands-on reviewing (if you catch my drift).

Hmm ... those were awesome desserts. I wonder who made them. :D

Good point, though! If the "reporter" Googled Louisville food reviews for information but couldn't be bothered to contact LHB (or, presumably, the competition) for local advice, he or she just wasn't doing the job.
User

John Greenup

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:03 pm

Oldham County

by John Greenup » Fri May 01, 2009 4:03 pm

Sloppy research....makes one question the veracity of their other articles. :?
"I want to go where the hand of man has never set foot."

-- Samuel Goldwyn
no avatar
User

Will Gaines

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Oct 03, 2007 9:32 am

Louisville

by Will Gaines » Fri May 01, 2009 5:05 pm

Not that I am defending the list, but to be fair it looks as though the goal was to provide a mix of places specializing in different types of fare. You have a burger joint, good breakfast spot, coffee shop, cafe, fine dining, etc. I would have a hard time arguing that Genny's or Kaelins (when in business) were not two of the top burger joints in town. The same can be said about Heine Bros. coffee, or Equus, Oakroom, and Jack Fry's for a fine dining experience. The list is clearly not geared toward locals, but rather to an out of town crowd who may have different needs at different times during their visit. It is also clearly not intended to be an end all be all list of the top 20 restaurants in town based on certain parameters. It would have been more appropriately titled something like "20 of our top Louisville dining picks". All of that being said, the article is clearly dated and poorly researched which is indefensible for a national magazine.
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Fri May 01, 2009 8:16 pm

Will, that's when I thought too originally an I purposely went back to check the title of the article. It clearly states that it's the 20 Best restaurants in Louisville. Any one who came here believing that would certainly miss out on many of our best restaurants, as well as going to some that wouldn't make the list by any definition! It really makes Louisville look like it has a much weaker dining scene than it is.
Last edited by Mark R. on Mon May 04, 2009 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

Kevin Graves

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 30, 2007 3:51 pm

Louisville, KY

by Kevin Graves » Mon May 04, 2009 12:50 pm

No Seviche. No Corbett's. This article is horrible. Half the restaurants do not even belong on this list.
Kevin J. Graves