Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

JamesBHess

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jun 04, 2008 7:53 am

Schnitzelburg

City Portrait in Garden & Gun Magazine

by JamesBHess » Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:15 am

The April/May issue of Garden & Gun magazine features a profile of Louisville as a city that is more than just Derby. While I don't agree with the opening paragraph or that Louisville "is content to hang just under the radar," the article gives a fair description of what Louisville is about compared to the GQ blunder of a few months ago. The article also has brief descriptions of Corbett’s, Proof on Main, Flabby’s Schnitzelburg, 21c Museum Hotel and several other Louisville dining and drinking destinations.
Link: http://gardenandgun.com/article/time-go-louisville
User

Jon K

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:22 pm

Re: City Portrait in Garden & Gun Magazine

by Jon K » Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:30 am

Hey that was written by Pableaux!
User

Heather Y

{ RANK }

In Time Out Room

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:07 pm

Prospect

by Heather Y » Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:37 am

My pilates studio carries Garden and Gun in their magazine collection, and I was just looking at the spread about half an hour ago! The only thing I did not care for was glorifying Fourth Street live in the opening of the article.
no avatar
User

Matthew D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:22 am

No Longer Old Louisville

by Matthew D » Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:32 am

JamesBHess wrote:While I don't agree with the opening paragraph or that Louisville "is content to hang just under the radar," the article gives a fair description of what Louisville is about compared to the GQ blunder of a few months ago.

Seems the author's argument is that many people return to Lou. from "on the radar" cities because of Louisville's willingness to do its own thing. I can't really disagreement with this point. I'd be the first person on train out of town if Louisville started playing the metropolitan version of "Keeping up with the Joneses."

Heather Y wrote:My pilates studio carries Garden and Gun in their magazine collection, and I was just looking at the spread about half an hour ago! The only thing I did not care for was glorifying Fourth Street live in the opening of the article.

It's not really glorifying to me. Seems more like a point about the surprises Louisville offers, as it is a celebration of any single item he mentions in the paragraph. I would think if he wanted to celebrate 4SL he would include it in the list of places to go.
Thinks the frosty mug is the low point in American history.
User

Josh A

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:01 pm

Paristown Point/Germantown

by Josh A » Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:37 am

Reading through that makes me realize I need to get back up to Avalon for lunch one of these days. And I still haven't gotten up to Jack Fry's ;_;

Guess I've got me some lunch destinations for this week.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:51 pm

Sounds great! Good work by Pableaux (except maybe for his failure to keep that 4SL thang quiet).

I've got to ask, though: GARDEN and GUN!?

Who in the hell is the target demographic for that magazine? :shock:
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:01 pm

Pableaux did great. We could all quibble about certain omissions (notably, Seviche and Mojito), but I only found a couple of nitpicks:

1. Does Flabby's serve fried chicken on Fridays? I thought it was only a Saturday-Sunday thing. Or am I wrong?

2. A real editing screwup mashed together Slugger Field and the Louisville Slugger Museum:

Slugger Field
Slugger Field, the home field for the Louisville Bats, a AAA farm team for the Cincinnati Reds, is a great place to while away a day. You’ll tour the actual production floor where Major League bats are computer-carved from slabs of ash. At the end of the tour, you’ll even get a souvenir bat, the perfect size and heft for muddling the mint for a nice julep.
800 West Main St.; batsbaseball.com
User

Steve A

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:13 am

turn left

by Steve A » Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:18 pm

Robin Garr wrote:I've got to ask, though: GARDEN and GUN!?

Two things come to mind....
1. So you need a garden and a gun to subscribe? I'd better start digging.
2. One of these things is not like the other. :mrgreen:
"It ain't a matter of pork 'n beans that's gonna justify your soul
Just don't try to lay no boogie woogie on the king of rock and roll."
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:27 pm

Steve A wrote:2. One of these things is not like the other. :mrgreen:

Got it in one!

It almost HAS to be a Southern mag ... doesn't it?
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:52 pm

Robin Garr wrote:Sounds great! Good work by Pableaux (except maybe for his failure to keep that 4SL thang quiet).

I've got to ask, though: GARDEN and GUN!?

Yeah, I had the same reaction when I first saw the magazine ( at Blue Dog of all places) a couple of months back! Yikes! But the food articles I've read have been really very good, and the "gun" content seems to be largely "entertaining my friends at my hunting lodge". Guess I'm not blue-blood enough to get the connection, but I've greatly enjoyed what I've seen/read so far.

BTW, Robin, I think the target market is folks a la Owsley Brown Frazier - blue-blood Southern with cash.

Deb
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:09 pm

Deb Hall wrote:BTW, Robin, I think the target market is folks a la Owsley Brown Frazier - blue-blood Southern with cash.

Makes some sense, Deb ... the garden for the lady, the gun for the gentleman. :oops:

Of course, you know my argument that Louisville (the city) only has one foot in the South, but that may explain why Pableaux steered well clear of "ethnic" top eateries like Seviche and Mojito in favor of places that can be spun as more "Southern." You write for your market, yes you do ...
User

Mark Head

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:44 pm

Prospect

by Mark Head » Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:20 pm

Never heard of it and it's certainly not what I expected. It sounded more like "Grit Magazine".

I might have to get this....

http://gardenandgun.com/
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:27 pm

From the "About Us" page:

Garden & Gun is a Southern lifestyle magazine that's all about the magic of the new South – the sporting culture, the food, the music, the art, the literature, the people, and the ideas. It espouses a strong conservation ethic that grows out of its connection to the land, and it reveals the beauty of the South.

All sorts of snark comes to mind, but I think I'll leave it alone. 8)

(More seriously, I see it's based in Charleston, which is certainly Southern but maybe not as typical of the usual stereotypes as some Southern cities.)

Mark Head wrote:Never heard of it and it's certainly not what I expected. It sounded more like "Grit Magazine".
no avatar
User

Joseph M

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:27 pm

by Joseph M » Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:36 pm

Flabby's definitely serves fried chicken on Fridays. Many a Friday night, I've traveled out to Germantown with only one thing in mind..... Uh oh... I'm hungry.
User

Charles W.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:53 pm

Schnitzelburg

by Charles W. » Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:50 pm

Robin Garr wrote:(More seriously, I see it's based in Charleston, which is certainly Southern but maybe not as typical of the usual stereotypes as some Southern cities.)

Charleston is certainly Southern, but is a one-off kind of place. Even in SC, Charleston is in its own world.
Next