Hitting the road? Ask questions about dining out anywhere, and post your trip reports here!

Lexington Dining

Moderator: Robin Garr

no avatar
User

Steve B

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:25 pm

Chicago

Lexington Dining

by Steve B » Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:59 pm

I'll be in Lexington to go to Keeneland for 3 days in April and was looking for any dining recommendations anyone would like to share.
User

NDDuncan

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Jun 19, 2008 6:24 pm

Re: Lexington Dining

by NDDuncan » Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:16 pm

There's a fairly new place called De Vassa Bar & Cafe (Brazilian influence) - I really like it,
and they have some good night life/music to boot - at least they did last fall...it's at 401 West Main
across from Triangle Park - check them out on the link below :)
Nancy Duncan
User

Gayle DeM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:42 pm

by Gayle DeM » Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:40 pm

I've said it before when the question of Lexington dining came up and I'll say it again: Azur http://azurrestaurant.com/default.aspx
"I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian" -Erma Bombeck
no avatar
User

Tommy Walters

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:51 pm

Lexington

by Tommy Walters » Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:26 pm

Debbie Longs...."Dudley's"

The best wine list in town.....food is great too!!!!
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:39 pm

Gayle DeM wrote:I've said it before when the question of Lexington dining came up and I'll say it again: Azur http://azurrestaurant.com/default.aspx

Totally concur . . . look up several prior threads on this subject, and I was also vocal in my support of Azur!
Andrew Mellman
User

Jeremy Markle

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jul 09, 2007 2:58 pm

In my car

by Jeremy Markle » Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:31 am

Lexington has lots to offer. I agree with the other posters that Azure is top notch. Malone's, Jonathon's, and Portofino are also very good. In my humble opinion, though, Holly Hill Inn is tops, and sooooo worth the trip.
Check out the new http://www.kentuckyale.com
no avatar
User

Eric Shaw

{ RANK }

Just got here

Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:48 pm

by Eric Shaw » Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:56 am

i was born in lexington and lived there until 6 months ago, i now live here. i worked in a restaurant, a la lucie's, and ive been to a lot of the restaurants in town. holly hill inn is by far the best in the lexington area, it's in midway which is only 15 minutes away, and i would get a reservation now if i were going during keeneland because the chef is a semi-finalist for a james beard award this year. if you like indian you can't go wrong with bombay grill which is downton or tandoor which is further out in the suburbs. alfalfa is downtown and if you like lynn's paradise cafe then you will like this because it is where lynn worked before she came to louisville. dudley's is good if you like jack fry's kind of food, though it is not up to par with said restaurant. if you like sushi go to tachibana which is on newtown near the marriot and the i-64 exit. the julep cup is run by a chef i used to work for and i trust that she is doing it well, it has a traditional southern menu. for lunch, sandwich like items are my favorite, downtown you can go to giacomos which is a ny style deli or 3rd street stuff for a tasty sandwich on great local bread, both of which are both on north limestone. le matin is also great for lunch not just because the sandwiches are great but they are also a bakery and do some very delicious pastries which i never pass up when i go, it is on tates creek road which is what high street turns in to coming out of downtown. they make the second best croissant ive had, second only to an obscenely buttery one i had in nice, france. if you like cajun gumbo ya-ya's has the best in town. the yat-wich is amazing, a gigantic braised turkey sandwich, soooo goooood. i could go on and on but it is late.
no avatar
User

Catherine Davidson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:53 pm

by Catherine Davidson » Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:37 am

Is a la Lucie's still open? I had wonderful meals there in the '80's! Does she still own a second restaurant? CD
If you wish to make an apple pie truly from scratch, you must first invent the universe. Carl Sagan
no avatar
User

Eric Shaw

{ RANK }

Just got here

Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:48 pm

by Eric Shaw » Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:25 am

a la lucie's is still going strong but three of her other ventures have come and gone; pacific pearl, roy and nadines, and the phoenix. she is now a part owner of the julep cup which opened in december.
no avatar
User

Catherine Davidson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:53 pm

by Catherine Davidson » Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:47 am

Neat that Lucie's is still around. Here's the website: http://www.alalucie.com/dinner.html CD
If you wish to make an apple pie truly from scratch, you must first invent the universe. Carl Sagan
User

Brad Keeton

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:04 pm

Highlands

by Brad Keeton » Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:10 pm

Steve - you might do a search. There should be one very recent thread and one a somewhat older that discussed the best Lex has to offer.

I second Portofino, A la Lucie, and Jonathan.
"I don't eat vegans. They're too bony."
-Alton Brown
User

Brad Keeton

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:04 pm

Highlands

by Brad Keeton » Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:15 pm

Actually, Steve, try Murray's. It used to be the Homstead, and is now owned by the Merrick folks. It had one of the best patio's I've ever seen. I wrote a review of it after my wife and I ate there after Keeneland in the fall. It was very good, and it's much easier to get there from Keeneland than to get downtown or over to the Merrick. The traffic tends to head away from that direction.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4445&p=42715&hilit=+lexington#p42715
"I don't eat vegans. They're too bony."
-Alton Brown
no avatar
User

Steve B

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:25 pm

Chicago

by Steve B » Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:45 pm

Thanks to everyone for the great suggestions. I've been to Jonathan's and Malone's, and look forward to trying a few of the others. As always I wish I had few more days, but with racing every April and October I should be able to work my way through the list. I'll also do a search for past threads thanks for the tip. I've found the forum and the hotbytes site very informative and reliable when dining in Louisville in the past.
User

Casandra C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:49 pm

by Casandra C » Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:59 am

I lived in Lexington for a couple years, and met my husband there who was a native.

Although both places are lacking in ambiance, I highly recommend Plant Thai (on Nicholasville Road and I think Pasadena? Next to a KFC) and Sugano (Japanese & sushi- off Eastland Parkway/New Circle next to where the Continental Inn used to be). I taught ESL to Japanese-speaking folks for a while and every single person I asked about Japanese restaurants in Lexington always said Sugano. I finally went- it's dingy and in a pretty crummy area but the food is out of this world and includes many items you certainly won't find at most strip mall sushi joints. Natto, anyone?

I don't really have a favorite fine dining establishment there. Portofino's didn't do too much for me. Harvest was good but I think they're gone. I agree with Gayle on Azur (especially their patio and the chocolate lava cake- wow!)

Wines on Vine is a wine shop/bar that is always great for a pre- or post- dinner libation.
"We can't have people running around eating pie and eggs for breakfast--- it's not on the menu."- WB
User

Kyle L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri May 30, 2008 10:47 am

Highview

by Kyle L » Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:50 pm

Tolly-Ho . ;)
Next