Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

Planked Salmon with Mustard-Herb Crust & Mango Salsa Rec

by Deb Hall » Tue Mar 06, 2007 4:21 pm

Wanted to share this recipe we developed for one of our Cooking Demonstrations last year. It's very straight forward, delicious and looks gorgeous on the plate for entertaining. You can cook it on the grill or in a regular oven: both are great. This will be our recipe for my cooking demo at the House & Garden show this weekend, so thought you all might like it.

Deb Hall
Gourmet For Everyone
111 S. English Station Road
http://www.gourmetforeveryone.com

Planked Salmon with Mustard-Herb Crust and Mango SalsaServes 6

If you haven't cooked with cedar planks before, you'll find this method adds great flavor (and smell) with very little effort.

Ingredients
1 - 2 Cedar Planks

• 2 garlic cloves, finely minced
• 2 T. Fallot Dijon mustard
• 2 T. Fallot whole-grain mustard
• ¾ t. finely chopped fresh rosemary
• ¾ t. finely chopped fresh thyme
• 1 T. dry white wine
• 1 T. Divina extra virgin olive oil
• 6 (6 oz.) salmon fillets
• Salt & freshly ground black pepper
• 6 lemon wedges

Mango Salsa (see recipe below)

Directions

1. Soak planks in water for at least 1 hour.

2. In a small bowl, mix the garlic, mustards, rosemary, and thyme. Mix in the wine and oil. Set the mustard sauce aside.

3. If cooking in oven, preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place plank into hot oven for 5 minutes. Remove from oven and arrange the salmon fillets on the plank; sprinkle them with salt and pepper. Bake for 5 minutes. Spoon the mustard sauce over the fillets. Continue baking until the fillets are just cooked through and golden brown, about 5 – 10 minutes longer.

4. If cooking on grill, preheat grill to 350-400 degrees. Place soaked plank on grill and close lid. Plank will begin to smoke and crackle after 3 – 5 minutes. Arrange the salmon directly on the hot plank and sprinkle with salt and pepper; close the lid. Cook for 5 minutes. Spoon the mustard sauce over the fillets. Continue cooking until the fillets are just cooked through and golden brown, about 5 – 10 minutes longer. Remember, salmon will continue to cook after removing from grill.

5. Transfer the fillets to plates. Top with Mango Salsa across each salmon fillet and garnish with the lemon wedges.

Mango Salsa
This quick and easy salsa can be made 6 hours ahead. Just cover and chill until you are ready to serve.

Ingredients

• 2 cups peeled, pitted and diced mangos
• 1 cup diced tomatoes
• 2/3 cup chopped green onions
• 1/4 cup minced, fresh cilantro
• 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice

Directions

1. Mix all ingredients in a small bowl. Season with salt and pepper.

2. Serve at room temp.

(Note: Mustard-Herb Crust adapted from a Giada DeLaurentis recipe)
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Planked Salmon with Mustard-Herb Crust & Mango Salsa

by Robin Garr » Tue Mar 06, 2007 5:00 pm

Deb Hall wrote:Wanted to share this recipe we developed for one of our Cooking Demonstrations last year.

Thanks, Deb, looks great! Does the plank get hot enough to smoke much if you do it in the oven?
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands , Louisville

Planked Salmon with Mustard-Herb Crust & Mango Salsa Rec

by Deb Hall » Tue Mar 06, 2007 5:45 pm

Robin,

I was surprised at how well it smoked in a home oven as long as you pre-heat the plank. I had called the manufactor and it was their suggestion; they do it all the time for product demos. Just make sure it's on conventional bake/roast not convection.

This recipe is so wonderful (and easy). I will say that the Fallot French mustards do make a big difference in the taste. toI had one customer who attended the demo, call me to tell me that she never cooks but this recipe inspired her to try - with great results. Made my day to help create a convert... :D

Deb
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Planked Salmon with Mustard-Herb Crust & Mango Salsa

by Robin Garr » Tue Mar 06, 2007 5:50 pm

Deb Hall wrote:I was surprised at how well it smoked in a home oven as long as you pre-heat the plank.

I've got to try this! Maybe in Copper River salmon season.

I was really asking a slightly different question, though, Deb: If you bake with the plank in the oven, does it put out enough smoke to either fumigate the house or require taking the smoke detectors down?
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands , Louisville

No fire department visit...

by Deb Hall » Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:08 pm

Sorry, I misunderstood.

The planks create enough smoke to flavor the fish, but nothing to cause a problem at home. I've done it many times and never had an alarm (which I regularly get if I'm pan-searing). Much less smoke than broiling for me in my home kitchen. And it makes the kitchen smell wonderful.

Just a note: the planks we carry have what I'm sure is a "legal notice" that says to use them outside, but I spoke directly to the manufactor and they told me to try it in the oven. The planks are so wet from the soaking that they are barely charred in the oven after the ~15 minutes in the oven.

Deb
no avatar
User

Rick Boman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:26 am

Try this...

by Rick Boman » Wed Mar 07, 2007 12:59 pm

On a war summer day, serve that dish with the plank on fire, outside off the grill of course. We serve a similar preparation to parties at Norma Jean's and the cedar smoke and flames, crackling of the sauce when it hits the fire is a showstopper.