Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Chicago Sandwich Stop.

User

Doogy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:15 pm

The purlieus of Louisville, KY

Chicago Sandwich Stop.

by Doogy R » Fri Mar 02, 2007 7:21 am

I was perusing some stuff on the web and discovered that this place in Bucker had won the 11th annual Chili Cook-Off at Churchill Downs. Being as I am a huge chili fan, my interest in this place has been piqued to the nth degree. They also seem to carry Vienna beef hot dogs. Has anyone been there or know of anyone who has? I've never seen it mentioned on the old boards, or anywhere else for that matter.
Great food along with great company is truly one of lifes best treasures.
User

Andrea E

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:15 pm

La Grange, KY

by Andrea E » Fri Mar 02, 2007 7:58 am

I have been there, but I can't say it's on my usual radar (not that it's bad!) It's across from Oldham County High School on Rt. 393. The guy who owns it is very nice and accomodating. It's set up like an outdoor sandwich shop with a little patio to eat, and as I recall, the hot dogs were very good. I'll have to go back soon! It's just hard when Steve (as in Steve-O's) is right down the street, I always forget about the sandwish shop.
User

Ed Vermillion

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:32 pm

38 degrees 25' 25' N 85 degrees 36' 2' W

by Ed Vermillion » Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:28 pm

Doogy,

I have been there once and to be honest with you......I cannot remember a thing about it :oops: One of those washing the car in a hurry with my young son in the car im in a hurry get a bite to eat (in a hurry) kind of experiences! And my family is like Andrea: we head to Steve-O's when up that way (which is every week on Thursday or Friday nights) In fact tonight is our night for Steve-O. I would be willing to meet you up there for an independent taste test. I ned to check it out (again) :roll:
User

Doogy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Doogy R » Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:53 pm

Ed Vermillion wrote:I would be willing to meet you up there for an independent taste test. I ned to check it out (again) :roll:

I would be up for that. Sometime in the near future would be great. I just love some good chili and hotdogs. Man, I miss Zap's.
User

Doogy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Chicago Sandwich Stop.

by Doogy R » Tue Mar 06, 2007 12:53 am

I drove up there last Friday and got a Chicago dog and a bowl of chili. The dog was decent (in other words, not Zap's) but the chili was majestic. Lots of lean ground beef, some beans, garlic, plenty of tomato and a few other flavors I just couldn't pick out. Anyhow, I can see why this chili was a winner at the Chili Cookoff at Churchill Downs last year. It's worth the short drive up 71 to get there.