Hitting the road? Ask questions about dining out anywhere, and post your trip reports here!
User

Shannon W

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Aug 29, 2007 3:06 pm

Re: Indianapolis Must Eats/See

by Shannon W » Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:18 pm

Just to extrapolate on the St. Elmo's Cocktail shrimp...

St. Elmo's get's very crowded. Get there early or have reservations.

The cocktail shrimp is the most amazing kind of "hot" I've ever had. It's so hot at first, you want to scream. Give it 30 seconds. You will be begging for more. Shrimp cocktail perfection.
"Mark that frame an eight...and you're entering a world of pain."
User

John Greenup

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:03 pm

Oldham County

by John Greenup » Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:44 pm

Bill Veneman wrote:For the celebration of the 18th Anniversary of my 29th Birthday, I've decided to take Me, myself and I on a little road trip up to Indy for a weekend of "let's get the hell out of town".

Anyplace I shouldn't miss? Anyplace I should?

Will be staying downtown right by the Circle.

Thanks in advance.

I'll second (third?) St Elmos -- great steaks (and the shrimp cocktail IS awesome)...be sure to block out time for a lunch at Shapiro's (just a few minutes south of Monument Circle); the closest thing we have in Louisville is Stevens & Stevens -- and as good as it is, Shapiro's is much better; go there hungry -- HUGE sandwiches!

Both restaurants have websites.
"I want to go where the hand of man has never set foot."

-- Samuel Goldwyn
User

Bill Veneman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:35 pm

East End outside of the Watterson, but not afraid to travel for good grub

by Bill Veneman » Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:59 am

Bumping up.....have a couple of good suggestions, but there has got to be more to Indy than that???????
If life's a Banquet, what's with all the Tofu?

Cheers!

Bill V.
User

DeeDee D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:48 pm

Sellersburg, IN

by DeeDee D » Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:19 am

St Elmos! You gotta have the shrimp cocktail. Just keep in mind when it says that it's hot as fire, that's exactly what they mean. It took my breath away it was so hot. I was not prepared for it! But man was it good!
Realtor, Semonin Realtors
Selling homes in beautiful Indiana
no avatar
User

Sue H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat May 05, 2007 12:08 am

by Sue H » Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:22 am

Peterson's Restaurant is an excellant place to eat. Although it is on the north side, just take Meridian Street straight up. It may be a 15 minute drive, but well worth the trip.

Check it out at petersonsrestaurant.com
User

Roger A. Baylor

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:01 pm

New Albany

by Roger A. Baylor » Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:32 am

I enthusiastically second Brugge, but in a city prone to chains and exurban inauthenticity, there's another find just south of center, across from the Eli Lilly corporate campus ... Bosphorus Istanbul Cafe.

http://www.bosphoruscafe.com/

Turkish satellite television, lots of Turkish begin spoken, but no problem communicating. Diana endorses the tabouli, and all the meat dishes I've had were great, with the kofte perhaps most favored.
Roger A. Baylor
Beer Director at Pints&union (New Albany)
Digital Editor at Food & Dining Magazine
New Albany, Indiana
no avatar
User

Neal M

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:37 pm

Louisville

by Neal M » Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:07 pm

I had a very nice meal just this past weekend at Milanos Inn. Wonderful homemade Tortellini and Sausage soup.
no avatar
User

Leah A

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Dec 25, 2007 1:00 pm

Elizabethtown

by Leah A » Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:29 pm

Puck's restauraunt was very good when we went a few years ago. You can also enjoy a visit to the museum as well.

http://www.wolfgangpuck.com/restaurants ... ianapolis/

The Villa is downtown and also offers a spa as well as good food.

http://www.thevillainn.com/

If you're interested in seafood this may be worth checking out. Their baked alaska isn't bad either.

http://www.theoceanaire.com/
no avatar
User

Broc Smith

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Feb 24, 2008 6:56 pm

by Broc Smith » Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:34 pm

I recommend Loon Lake Lodge on 82nd St. in Castleton. Some of my favorites are the Eld Medallions w/ Horseradish and Raspberry Sauce, the Crab Stuffed Portabella, the Bison Burger, the Trout, and the ribs fall off the bone. I think they have rattlesnake bites and ostrich too. It's worth checking out!

The best pizza in town is at the Ale Emporium on 86th and Allisonville Rd. The pizza takes forever, but they have a great beer selection.

I also like Yats! in Broadripple, around 55th on College. They have great cajun food.

If you like seafood and don't need your money, check out Oceanaire downtown.

I would tout everything about St. Elmo's, but it sounds like that's been done.

If you go out for a beer downtown, the Slippery Noodle is a must. It is the oldest bar in Indy. It is famous for the great blues talent they draw. Back in the day, the upstairs was a brothel. The basement was linked to the underground railroad, and there are bullet holes in the wall from John Dillinger.
User

Todd Antz

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri May 11, 2007 12:37 pm

Clarksville, IN

by Todd Antz » Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:49 pm

There is a great Scottish pub/restaurant, MacNiven's Restaurant And Bar on Massachusetts Ave in downtown. Great beer selection and very good food to boot. They even have haggis if that is up your alley.

They don't have a website that I could find, but here is a link to them on beeradvocate: http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/9812/?view=beerfly
Keg Liquors
Keeping Kentuckiana Beer'd since 1976
http://www.kegliquors.com

617 E. Lewis & Clark Pkwy
Clarksville, IN 47129
812-283-3988

4304 Charlestown Road
New Albany, IN 47150
812-948-0444
no avatar
User

Neal M

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:37 pm

Louisville

by Neal M » Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:00 pm

I forgot to mention that there is a Fago De Chao in Indy. If you've never been to a Brazillian Churascaria it is something to try.
no avatar
User

Linda C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:38 pm

by Linda C » Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:06 pm

Love St Elmo's shrimp! Yeeowww. My husband and I had a wonderful meal at Elements. Food and service top-notch.

http://www.elementsindy.com
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:21 pm

St. Elmo's shrimp definitely awsome, and their steaks are wonderful. If you go with a significant other, they are used to splitting orders, so go for a large steak, split the soup and potato (they'll do it in the kitchen, no problem), and enjoy!

Also second Shapiro's, especially the downtown one (when the suburban moved, lost a lot of charm).

We've had good luck with Oceanaire, but it is a large chain. And, tho the food is excellent, it can be very expensive depending on how you order. I signed up on-line for their "frequent diner club" and even though we go maybe once a year, I get monthly special deals sent via e-mail, so if you're possibly going sign up!

I'm really writing to second the Slippery Noodle! They are a long narrow building, with different blues bands at each end. They have typical bar food - lots of fried stuff, burgers, nacho's, etc - but the food is better than it has to be at that type of place. We had dinner moderately late (wtih a reservation), and were not charged the cover - just stayed for the music. Also, while there's one underpass that's a tad dark, it is an easy walk from downtown - and only a couple of short blocks from St. Elmo's.
Andrew Mellman
User

Tom Holstein

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:55 am

Derby City :)

by Tom Holstein » Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:03 pm

Shannon Williams wrote:St. Elmo's Cocktail Shrimp.

Shazzam............4th it!

Fab cocktail sauce with a bale o' Pontoon Beach horseradish...........it'll fix a corn belt cold.
User

Marsha L.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:56 pm

Louisville, KY

by Marsha L. » Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:10 pm

I enthusiastically endorse the Slippery Noodle. I once went by myself (on an impulse) to a blues concert at the Murat Theater, and was directed to the Noodle for afters. Fantastic vibe.

Food, tolerable - this was a long time ago. Atmosphere = 100%.
Marsha Lynch
LEO columnist, free range cook/food writer/food stylist
PreviousNext