Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

News Release about DCE fund-raiser for Adam: Spread the word

by Robin Garr » Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:19 am

Thanks to Melissa R-P for this excellent press release. Please disseminate it widely to friends, co-workers, family, anyone who might go to the event or support it with a donation. Also if you have friends or neighbors in the media - yes, even Gannett ;) - please forward it to them. Let's beat the drum and make this one BIG!

Adam Tatum, the owner of Oak Street Pizza in Louisville, is just a guy who loves putting out good food, trying to run his business and make a living. He’s a one-man show, and has been getting a pretty good reputation for a seriously good pie. That is, until Sunday night, when two men pulled a gun and shot him in a robbery attempt. Adam was hit in the chest and had surgery to repair the damage. He’s still in the hospital recovering, but in the meantime, his business is closed and there are medical bills to consider.

So, a group of local foodies on LouisvilleHotBytes.Com have pulled together to help raise money for Adam and get him, and his business, back to health. Matthew at Derby City Espresso is hosting a benefit on Thursday, October 16 at his coffeehouse and beverage mecca at 331 East Market St. From 11am – 6pm, $1 from every drink will be donated to help Adam and Oak Street Pizza. Then, from 6-midnight, there will be a bigger party, with live jazz (starting at 9 p.m.), a silent auction, and not only a $1 drink donation, but Marsha Lynch of Café Lou Lou will be serving up slices of her to-die-for cakes…price being whatever you want to give to Adam! Foodies are coming out of the woodwork…er…kitchen to help, so there will probably be more surprises in store that night.

Foodies Unite for Adam and Oak St Pizza!
Thursday, October 16 11am – 6pm
Silent Auction and more 6pm – 9pm
Live jazz - 9pm - Midnight
Derby City Espresso
331 East Market St

Stop by on your way to work….stop by again on your way home, and share the foodie love! Spread the word and forward this to a couple friends – let’s do something positive in the face of all this bad news!
User

Matthew Landan

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 29, 2007 5:17 pm

331 East Market Street

Re: News Release about DCE fund-raiser for Adam: Spread the word

by Matthew Landan » Fri Oct 10, 2008 11:54 am

Actually we open at 11am!
Se from 11am to 6pm I will be donating $1 of every drink sold to Adam Tatum and Oak St. Pizza.
Here's to his speedy recovery.
Thanks,
Matthew
Owner
Haymarket
331 E. Market St.

Since I came down from Oregon, there's a lesson or two I've learned
Oh, oh the Pride of Cucamonga, of, of silver apples in the sun,
Yes, it's me, I'm the Pride of Cucamonga, I can see golden forests in the sun.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Oct 10, 2008 12:56 pm

Matthew Crow wrote:Actually we open at 11am!
Se from 11am to 6pm I will be donating $1 of every drink sold to Adam Tatum and Oak St. Pizza.
Here's to his speedy recovery.

Original now corrected, and thanks, Matthew!

Saaaaaayyy ... <squinting> Landan or Crow?
User

Marsha L.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:56 pm

Louisville, KY

by Marsha L. » Fri Oct 10, 2008 3:46 pm

Hey, I'm not sure where we got the idea the cake slices were being sold for "whatever you want to give" - it's really good cake! We had talked about $4 a slice. Matthew can correct me if I'm wrong, though.

Naturally if it's too late or someone protests, we'll let 'em slide on the cake price. 8)
Marsha Lynch
LEO columnist, free range cook/food writer/food stylist
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Oct 10, 2008 4:21 pm

Marsha L. wrote:Naturally if it's too late or someone protests, we'll let 'em slide on the cake price. 8)

Better yet, recite this line: "It was a mistake in the news release, and we're sorry. If you really, really want to give less than $4, we're fine with that, as long as you understand that you're actually shafting poor Adam."
User

Marsha L.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville, KY

by Marsha L. » Fri Oct 10, 2008 4:26 pm

Hey, nobody's going to cry at giving up $4 for a piece of one of MY cakes. :wink:

Melissa, if I haven't said it before, thanks so much for writing the press release.

Matthew's doing two interviews today, so watch the news this evening. I was supposed to do one as well, but the crew was "called away" to a better/more important story :(

And, guess what? Per Ed's suggestion, we're now close to confirming with a live auctioneer for the big-ticket items. I will post a partial list on Monday or Tuesday of the stuff people have donated. It makes my head spin how generous the foodie/indie restaurant community is in this town.

Well done, all of you.
Marsha Lynch
User

Matthew Landan

{ RANK }

Foodie

331 East Market Street

by Matthew Landan » Fri Oct 10, 2008 5:11 pm

BUSTED
yes all this time I have not been in total compliance with the 'true name' rule!
My birth name is Landan (was Landau 100 years ago but an overzealous immigration agent flipped the U upside down and created a more Anglo sounding name for my great grandfather).
I have for many years used Crow as a surname when signing my writings and artwork.
sorry for the confusion!
Owner
Haymarket
331 E. Market St.

User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Oct 10, 2008 5:57 pm

Since you meant no harm, Matthew, and since you do use Crow as a professional name, I'll give ya some slack, but you owe me a coffee or a beer. ;)

As a GENERAL rule, we go on the honor system and ask folks to use real names, not pseuds, but in a case like this there was no effort to be sneaky and no one was hurt than I can see.

Matthew Crow wrote:BUSTED
yes all this time I have not been in total compliance with the 'true name' rule!
My birth name is Landan (was Landau 100 years ago but an overzealous immigration agent flipped the U upside down and created a more Anglo sounding name for my great grandfather).
I have for many years used Crow as a surname when signing my writings and artwork.
sorry for the confusion!
User

Matthew Landan

{ RANK }

Foodie

331 East Market Street

by Matthew Landan » Fri Oct 10, 2008 7:46 pm

Yes sir, Robin
I owe you one!
thanks for not bringing the hammer down on me!
Owner
Haymarket
331 E. Market St.

User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:46 pm

Matthew Crow wrote:Yes sir, Robin
I owe you one!
thanks for not bringing the hammer down on me!

Hey, it's just Maxwell's little silver hammer ...
User

Melissa Richards-Person

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 08, 2007 3:05 pm

The 'burbs of the Ville

by Melissa Richards-Person » Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:02 pm

Hey there all!
First of all - I apologize for the little mistakes. My face is red professionally :oops: My only defense was that it was midnight and I have had the flu since Tuesday (one of the reasons I had time on my hands this week to engage in the discussion on this Board! :-)

And Marsha - my actual intent was that people pay $5, $10 or more for your amazing cake! However, perhaps Robin can use his moderator magic to make that edit as well!

Again, sorry to all! This isn't usually the way I work!

On the flip side, can anyone who has talked to any media about this event PM me so I can start a list? I don't want to double-hit media outlets and burn them out, and I want to make sure we direct the remaining days to new media sources. Thanks!
User

Shawn Vest

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:10 pm

850 main street, charlestown, indiana

by Shawn Vest » Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:45 pm

Matt can you provide a list of the auction items to us here on the forum
if i can't make it i want to be able to place an absentee bid
(note, i am targeting beers from the private cellars of roger, todd, and david p)

thanks
Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza. D Barry
www.ctownpizzaco.com
850 MAIN 812-256-2699
User

Marsha L.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville, KY

by Marsha L. » Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:18 pm

Shawn Vest wrote:Matt can you provide a list of the auction items to us here on the forum
if i can't make it i want to be able to place an absentee bid
(note, i am targeting beers from the private cellars of roger, todd, and david p)

thanks

Matthew and I met with the auctioneer this afternoon and he had some great advice on how to maximize our profits for Adam by grouping the donations into lots (both the live auction items and the raffle items). Matthew and I will spend a large part of tomorrow afternoon organizing the lots, and we'll have a comprehensive list to post tomorrow night. I wanted to post it tonight, but I think it's worth waiting to see what the lots are like.

Thanks to everyone for your patience. I spent the day today driving around town picking up donations and certificates. I got to meet a lot of folks in our foodie/restaurant/bar community that I'd never met before, and I have a raging headache from alternating turbo-caffeinated coffee drinks from our local coffeehouses and craft beer from our local beer-selling establishments.

Don't worry on my account, though - I'm currently pouring bourbon on the headache to make it go away 8)
Marsha Lynch
User

Marsha L.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville, KY

by Marsha L. » Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:51 pm

Okay: Matthew and I spent the early evening organizing donations into "lots". There are two categories of lots to bid on: A) the Live-Auction Lots, and B) the raffle-ticket lots. Live auction lots will be auctioned off live around 8 PM by a professional auctioneer. Raffle-ticket lot winners will be determined by a drawing before 9 PM. Patrons will be buying strips of raffle tickets throughout the evening and dropping their tickets into bags representing the raffle-ticket lot items. So if you really want that massage-and-haircut combination lot, you could buy a strip of tickets and drop them all in the corresponding receptacle. That will give you a better chance of winning the things you want most, and Adam will get funded by everyone that wants certain items, not just the winning bidder (as would be the case in a traditional silent auction).

Being present to win is the best scenario, but if you're not present, you might still win your raffle-ticket-lot of choice....you'll just have to check back here for a list of winning ticket numbers. The winning numbers will also be posted at Derby City Espresso for one week.

Naturally, you will have to be present to win the live-auction lots!

Here is a list of what we'll be auctioning/raffling off tomorrow to help Adam get back on his feet:

LIVE AUCTION LOTS (not necessarily in this order! That's why we're using letters until we assign numbers tomorrow):

LOT A: Wusthof boning knife, Time-Life "Foods of the World" trio of cookbooks, "Taste of Home" cookbook with "entertaining CD", donated by two Steves....Stephen D. and Steve Shade

LOT B: 1 gift-boxed bottle of "Marilyn Merlot" 2004 from Nova Winery - "The Velvet Collection Pose #2" - 1.5 litre bottle in presentation box, donated by Len Stevens of L&N

LOT C: (2 bottles donated by Robin) 2005 ala Cave Syrah from JC Cellars and 2004 Trilogy Flora Springs Meritage

LOT D: Gift certificate from Leah Stewart's Gallery House Bed and Breakfast for one night's stay in the Rose Room, along with dinner for two at Bistro 301 downtown

LOT E: "Nuevo Latino" 5-course tasting for two at either Seviche location, donated by Anthony Lamas

LOT F: Two gift certificates, $100 EACH, for Havana Rumba and Mojito

LOT G: Full keg of BBC Beer. I am unclear on which beer, but it'll be good no matter what!

LOT H: Beers donated by Todd Antz of Keg Liquors in Clarksville:
2007 Three Floyds Dark Lord Russian Imperial Stout - 22 oz-
2008 Dark Horse Plead the Fifth Imperial Stout - 12 oz
2006 Goose Island Bourbon County Stout - 12 oz
2005 N'ice Chouffe Danish Export Version - 750 ml
Phantom Circus Phantom Saison - 750 ml
Founder's Deca 10th Anniversary Ale - 22 oz
AleSmith Horny Devil Belgian-style Ale - 750 ml
New Glarus Bourbon-Barrel Bock 4 pack of 12 oz bottles
New Glarus Belgian Red 750 ml

Lot I: (25) logo t-shirts of your choice, one color, by Monkey Drive Printing

Lot J: $50 gift certificate to Mayan Cafe, and an original oil painting, "Tijuana Lady", by Susan Steinbergen

Lot K: Professional photo print, matted and framed, by forum member Michelle J(ones) "Break in the Clouds on Ohio River", and a $50 gift certificate to The Irish Rover

Lot L: One round of golf for 4, with golf cart, from Standard Country Club

Lot M: 3-course dinner for two at Basa on Frankfort Avenue

Lot N: 2 hours' professional photography services from Erin Reidel's boyfriend: Orange Photography - Weddings, special events, etc.

Those are the live auction items. In addition, we will be raffling off the following in groups (you decide how to assign your raffle tickets):

* O'Sheas Restaurant Group gift basket

*Original Art Mixed Media piece by Jeremy Dixon, Cds and Tshirts from Charlestown Pizza Company and Nachbar

*"Casual Dining Lot" - $25 Charlestown Pizza Company, $30 Marcus' Barbeque, $25 J-Gumbo's on Frankfort, CPC t-shirt

*"Pizza Lot" - $50 gift certificate to Impellizzeri's, $25 Charlestown Pizza Company, CPC t-shirt

*"Lunch & Dinner" - $25 at any Louisville Original, $50 at Cafe Lou Lou

*"Progressive Dinner" - $25 Kaelins, $25 any Louisville Original, $25 Bristol Bar & Grille

*"Pasta/Pizza Extravaganza" - $30 Come Back Inn, $25 Charlestown Pizza Company, CPC t-shirt, $25 Baxter Station

*"Clifton-esque Lot" "Dinner for two" at L&N Wine Bar & Bistro, $25 Baxter Station

*"Foodie Lot" - 6-month single or couple membership in "Bon Vivant Savant" Louisville Chapter, $25 gift certificate to Varanese

*"Pamper Yourself" - Gourmet Chocolate gift basket donated by Deb Hall, and a haircut from Shimmer Salon

*"Jam Band Thank-You-Ma'am" Autographed Medeski, Martin & Wood vinyl double album, $25 Charlestown Pizza Company

*"Coffee Pot Lot" $25 Jackson's Organic Coffee, $20 Ray's Monkey House, $20 Derby City Espresso

*"Rub and a Haircut" - Hairstyle by Shimmer Salon and a 1 hour massage

*"Rub and a Haircut II, Electric Boogaloo" - Highlight and cut by Fixx Salon and a 1 hour massage

*Schlafly Beer, case consisting of 12 Octoberfest and 12 APA

*"Hurstbourne Hijinks Lot" Brunch for 4 at Limestone, $25 Bristol

*"Moon over Limestone Lot" Brunch for 4 at Limestone, "New Moon" Mixed Media piece by Furnish

*"Art and Tapas Lot" Charlie Reed print, De La Torres $50 gift certificate

and much, much more that we either don't have yet or don't know about yet!

Everybody come out, and bring cash or checks if at all possible to simplify things for Matthew and myself - we are only two people! Receipts will be available upon request, though....you betcha :wink:

Any questions?
Marsha Lynch
User

Shawn Vest

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:10 pm

850 main street, charlestown, indiana

by Shawn Vest » Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:22 pm

wow
wow
wowzer
Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza. D Barry
www.ctownpizzaco.com
850 MAIN 812-256-2699