Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Alanna H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:11 pm

Colorado Springs

Re: Favorite Gyro in Louisville

by Alanna H » Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:52 pm

Adrian Baldwin wrote:PS - Had a bite of my girlfriends falafel yesterday.......1st time trying one of those ----> Ummm, not my thing. In fact, I thought it was borderline nasty.

I just recently moved to the Highlands (Grinstead to be exact) and the thing I am most excited about are all the great restaurants I get to try.
I just went to Pita Delights last week and thought I would try falafel as I've never had it but really like to try new things...
Wow, I thought it was really bad! Definitely not my taste, I was really disappointed. I'll be trying the gyros and avocado dip next time.
User

DeeDee D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:48 pm

Sellersburg, IN

by DeeDee D » Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:02 pm

Thats strange, because the one's I always get at St. James are just th opposite.....tons of meat, onions and lots of the sauce! It's too much to carry and look at the same time, you have to stop to eat usually.
no avatar
User

Adrian Baldwin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:29 pm

Louisville, KY

by Adrian Baldwin » Mon Mar 05, 2007 4:29 pm

Bonsa Mak's gyro is indeed, HUGE! It's very good, and an amazing value for only $4.

While the bread is good, it's not your typical warm, slightly toasted/grilled Pita, which I prefer for a gyro.

They have an awesome cake in there, I usually get too. It's chocolate/mousse type thing, with layers. Yummy.
User

kathy m

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:54 pm

Favorite Gyro in Louisville

by kathy m » Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:58 pm

My pick is for the Fishery Station on Outer Loop http://thefisherystation.com/) --the owner has built a separate gyro counter, which the upright spit grill for the lamb/beef meat. Or you can get it with grilled chicken.

It's on a soft pita, with a really creamy taziki sauce, for under $5.
no avatar
User

MikeG

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:22 pm

Twin Cities, MN

by MikeG » Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:22 pm

Best Gyro I've ever had was in DC at Soul Veg. I havent bothered to check and see if any palce here makes a Gyro using Seitan.
User

Ethan Ray

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:30 pm

by Ethan Ray » Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:56 pm

MikeG wrote:I havent bothered to check and see if any palce here makes a Gyro using Seitan.

Would that be pronounced like 'satan'?
Cause I don't care what it tastes like... anything that sounds like it's endorsed by the devil has to be sinfully good.
haha.
Ethan Ray

I put vegetables in your desserts, white chocolate with your fish and other nonsense stuff that you think shouldn't make sense, but coax the nonsense into something that makes complete sense in your mouth. Just open your mind, mouth and eat.
no avatar
User

MikeG

{ RANK }

Foodie

Twin Cities, MN

by MikeG » Mon Mar 05, 2007 7:53 pm

That's how I've always pronounced it. My girlfriend has a sweatshirt that has a pentegram made of forks and it says "PRAISE SEITAN".

PS is that a snapcase quote in your sig file?
User

Ethan Ray

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:30 pm

by Ethan Ray » Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:00 pm

MikeG wrote:PS is that a snapcase quote in your sig file?

Yeah. It is.
I was listening to that album while setting up the blog and always loved the title. The more i thought about it, it really summed up the approach I've taken to food and cooking - so it seemed appropriate.

I never thought anyone would recognize where it came from, being that the average person i expected to read my food blog, or on here wouldn't be listening to anything anywhere near style of music.

So I guess you've got me pegged. haha.
Ethan Ray

I put vegetables in your desserts, white chocolate with your fish and other nonsense stuff that you think shouldn't make sense, but coax the nonsense into something that makes complete sense in your mouth. Just open your mind, mouth and eat.
no avatar
User

Tina M

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 3:21 pm

Highlands

by Tina M » Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:05 pm

The felafel at Shiraz is easily the best in town. I don't know how they do it. It's greenish-colored and creamy tasting inside, but crispy and brown on the outside.

They don't have gyros though.
no avatar
User

MikeG

{ RANK }

Foodie

Twin Cities, MN

by MikeG » Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:43 am

Ethan,

That awesome man, I miss that band. I may have to listen to that on the way to work today.
User

barry.g

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:50 am

gyros

by barry.g » Thu Mar 08, 2007 7:31 am

best I have had is in detroit,they have a good sized greek population .
and ther own greek town area in the downtown.
I lived there before transfering here.
as the ship sink's I will be partying with the band
no avatar
User

Doug Chin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 7:07 pm

J-Town

Jasmin Bakery

by Doug Chin » Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:03 pm

The best in town is at Jasmin Bakery (Bosnia) on Bardstown Rd. Just the smell of fresh bread being bake is worth the trip.
The large gyro $4 is at least 10" round piled high with very flavorful meat, onions, fresh tomatoes, & the homemade sauce. You better be hungry if you get the large. The small is on a fresh baked baguette. I have tried many gyros in Louisville and this is the real deal.
You can eat in the bakery or go next door to the restaurant and order.
Plus they sell loafs of bread, rolls, croissants, and pastries cheap.
They can run out of bread if you go after 5 PM. :D
Doug Chin
User

Laura SS

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:26 pm

Highlands

Re: Jasmin Bakery

by Laura SS » Thu Mar 08, 2007 3:38 pm

Doug Chin wrote:The best in town is at Jasmin Bakery (Bosnia) on Bardstown Rd

Wow, that sounds great! I hadn't heard of them (had to check the main site and read Robin's review to find their location), but I might want to try a trip soon!

Question: do either Jasmin or Sarajevo have any poultry/seafood/vegetarian options? Husband's not a red or gamey meats kind of guy, but Robin's review doesn't indicate these options exist (though it's from 2003) ...
no avatar
User

Doug Chin

{ RANK }

Foodie

J-Town

Re: Jasmin Bakery

by Doug Chin » Thu Mar 08, 2007 4:24 pm

Laura SS wrote:
Doug Chin wrote:The best in town is at Jasmin Bakery (Bosnia) on Bardstown Rd

Wow, that sounds great! I hadn't heard of them (had to check the main site and read Robin's review to find their location), but I might want to try a trip soon!

Question: do either Jasmin or Sarajevo have any poultry/seafood/vegetarian options? Husband's not a red or gamey meats kind of guy, but Robin's review doesn't indicate these options exist (though it's from 2003) ...

I have only had lamb and beef meats at Jasmin. You may want to try Al Watan at 3713 Klondike for veg. dishes. Great hummus and the bakery next door sells a large stack of pita bread for around $1.50 The bakery offers some spinach cheese pie. Not bad. Some of their pastries looked good.
Doug
Doug Chin
no avatar
User

Doug Chin

{ RANK }

Foodie

J-Town

Re: gyros

by Doug Chin » Thu Mar 08, 2007 4:25 pm

barry.g wrote:best I have had is in detroit,they have a good sized greek population .
and ther own greek town area in the downtown.
I lived there before transfering here.

What band did you play in?
Doug Chin
PreviousNext