Want to organize a get-together with forum pals at a local eatery or pub? Plan it here!
User

Ed Vermillion

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:32 pm

38 degrees 25' 25' N 85 degrees 36' 2' W

Re: Louisville Hotbytes Forum BBQ & Book Drive July 20th @ 1PM

by Ed Vermillion » Sun Jul 20, 2008 12:27 pm

You can go that way, Robin. When I give directions to my house I use 1793 because that section off 42 is South Rose Island when you get into Oldham County and turns into North Rose Island on the other side of 1793. It has the same house numbers on both South & North Rose Island.

Heading out the door now, see you all there!
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sun Jul 20, 2008 12:29 pm

Ed Vermillion wrote:You can go that way, Robin. When I give directions to my house I use 1793 because that section off 42 is South Rose Island when you get into Oldham County and turns into North Rose Island on the other side of 1793. It has the same house numbers on both South & North Rose Island.

Heading out the door now, see you all there!

We haven't left yet ... dryer's running, and we need to run into Doll's for some nice rolls to go with the brisket, but we should roll in pretty close to 1p.
User

Jessica Devine

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:29 pm

Germantown

by Jessica Devine » Sun Jul 20, 2008 6:21 pm

I wanted to thank everyone for coming out today. I'm overwhelmed with the number of books that each of you donated. I can't wait to post some pictures of my bookshelves and the rest of the classroom. Also, the lunch spread was incredible!

If you didn't have a chance to sign in, please pm with your information so that I can keep you updated. If you're interested in reading aloud to my class or participating in a career day, please let me know.

Thanks!!!!
User

Leann C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:42 pm

Highlands

by Leann C » Sun Jul 20, 2008 7:12 pm

Bummer! I didn't see the post that the BBQ had been moved until just now. I could have come -- although still exhausted from a 10 hour road trip (so probably not much of a brilliant conversationalist). Hope everyone had a great time! I'll get books to Jackie and look forward to the next event.
User

Marsha L.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:56 pm

Louisville, KY

by Marsha L. » Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:02 pm

yikes - double-posted. Help me, Help me Robin.
Last edited by Marsha L. on Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marsha Lynch
LEO columnist, free range cook/food writer/food stylist
User

Marsha L.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville, KY

by Marsha L. » Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:07 pm

Man, was that fun!

Here are the photos I took, such as they are. I wish I'd taken more, but there was too much good food and good conversation. Unsurprisingly, there was plenty of food and then some. Captions are underneath the corresponding photo.

This was so cool - while we were eating, Jessica got up, very low key, and said she wanted to read us a book one of her mentors had given her: Thank You, Mr. Falker by Patricia Polacco - the story of a young girl who overcomes her learning disability thanks to an exceptional teacher. (So thank you, Jessica. Your passion is showing - I have no doubt you'll also be an exceptional teacher.)

Here's an excerpt:

The grandpa held the jar of honey so that all the family could see, then dipped a ladle into it and drizzled honey on the cover of a small book.

"Taste! What is that taste?"

The little girl answered, "Sweet!"

"Yes, and so is knowledge, but knowledge is like the bee that made that sweet honey, you have to chase it through the pages of a book!"

Beautiful prose, worthy subject, captive audience, (you'll see why, when you see the pictures of the food down thread) touching story - I had to get up and pretend to go into the kitchen for something because I was getting a little misty-eyed. *sniff*

Now, drum roll, please: Here's pictures of some of the food (not nearly everything...I missed so much!) Thank god it was my free (from my diet) weekend!

Here's a gorgeous fruit Trifle from Andrea E. of Q&A Sweet Treats in LaGrange, along side my tasty but not-as-photogenic "Splendiferous Coconut Cake" (so christened by one of our gracious hosts at the Cardinal Harbour Pavilion, Ed Vermillion.)

You realize, of course, that Vermillion totally rhymes with Pavilion- right?

*I run off to write a rap song*

Look upon this and weep, non-attenders. You know what you're not having right now? My jalapeno-pimento cheese deviled eggs, that's what! They were quite a bit spicier than I've made them before - I found a can of "red pickled jalapenos" in the grocery and added them into my regular spicy-egg-salad version of the filling (that pepper mix even had pickled carrots in it, yum!). I'll just go ahead and 'fess up here that I've already eaten four more halves of the leftover ones since we got home - and I'm so full, but I just...can't...stop.

I'll be fascinated to find out who made this beautiful shrimp salad - what a gorgeous presentation! I couldn't find anybody to take credit for it, so - whoever you are - confess!

This is an embarrassingly crappy, too-close-up photo of something delightful: Jessica's numptious Hash Brown Casserole.

I told her it was the only thing I went back for seconds of. With so much to choose from, one must choose one's "seconds" wisely. 8)

Here's David Pierce's Bourbon Barrel Stout Chocolate Cake with Belgian Chocolate/Bourbon Ganache Icing.
It was so good, I got mad for a minute!

Okay, here's the deal. This is my Bourbon Butter Grilled Corn. Nice presentation, and I think I cooked it to the proper temp (but I have to say, it cooled off too quickly for my taste). But since there were families attending, I flamed the bourbon off before I added it to the butter. Unfortunately, I think that subtracted all the bourbon flavor from the equation...sort of making the whole thing a pale imitation of what it's been (for me) before.

Note to self: Don't skimp on the booze, silly. :roll:

Okay, these are Andrea E's cookies. Ladies (and I am in no way kidding): lasso your husbands and man your cookie-making stations. She may have stolen our cookie-mojo - but she'll never take our FREEEEDOMMMMMMMM! (/Braveheart)

I was thinking: Dang, this place is swank as all get-out! They have a florist come in and decorate when they rent out the clubhouse! But, no: the flower arrangements were done by Cindy S., Ed V's beautiful bride (he always calls her that!). "How did you do it?!!!!" I said. "It was easy, I just went out into the yard...." she replied.

I am in awe. If I made an arrangement of stuff I found in our yard in the Highlands, it would be a conglomerate of an old piece of indoor-outdoor carpet, a tire-tracked, turquoise thong bikini bottom from our parking space, some decrepit magnolia blossom petals from the tree out front, and a sheaf of flyers from Grateful Threads, down the street.

This is the Cookie Inspector(Andrea and Mike's kid, Miles). You can tell he's the Cookie Inspector, because it says so on his shirt.

I'm sorry, M'aam - no cookies beyond this point unless they're liquified in a food processor and also stored in a clear polythene bag.

Hey: I, for one, welcome my new one-year-old-Alien-Overlords! :mrgreen:

We now interrupt our regularly scheduled program to let you know that Cap'n Ed V. (of the Prospect Fire Dept.) says his favorite book from childhood is "Little Toot" by Hardie Gramatky.

Sure it is, Ed.

Sure, it is. :mrgreen:

Here's Carol C., Andrea E and Miles the Magnificent.

Miles: Could we please get on with this?

Heh.

I tried to get a picture of Carla Griffin for several minutes. Judging from this picture I finally snapped, well...she's in the Witness Protection Program. No doubt about it. :wink:

More shots of donated books. You might be surprised to find out we (HotBytes forum members) donated over 150 books, not including gift certificates. That's like at least $600-worth of books!

Here's Pierce and his son, Bryce. Future brewers, Unite!

This is a great picture of John and I that Jessica took, outside. It would make a good "we got engaged" picture...if we actually had. Which we didn't.

Heh.

Now, say this three times, fast.

That's what I thought.
Marsha Lynch
User

Doogy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:15 pm

The purlieus of Louisville, KY

by Doogy R » Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:24 pm

I can hardly wait for the BLT challenge. Thanks for all the wonderful pix.
Great food along with great company is truly one of lifes best treasures.
User

Andrea E

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:15 pm

La Grange, KY

by Andrea E » Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:27 pm

I can't follow that...laughing too much. I love ya. We had a fantastic time and can't wait to do it again. Thank you Ed for the hospitality (perfect location!) We so enjoyed seeing everyone and I'm glad I got to participate in a worthy occasion for Jessica.

And yes, folks, the coconut cake really is all that and a bag of chips! Miles and David wholeheartedly concurred (and for youngsters, they have very developed palates, you know).
Q&A Sweet Treats Bakery & Dessert Cafe
211 South First Street
La Grange, KY 40031
502-265-0550
www.qasweettreats.com
no avatar
User

GaryF

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:05 am

by GaryF » Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:44 pm

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
OK- I am salivating over my keyboard now, and laughing through my tears.
It sounds like a wonderful time- thank you so much for the pictures, Marsha- it was the next best thing to being there.
I'll PM you, Jessica about getting you my donation.
User

Suzi Bernert

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:08 pm

Louisville, KY

by Suzi Bernert » Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:07 am

I cannot tell a lie, the shrimp salad was mine - well actually, Cooks.com had the recipe - called Greek Pasta Salad, I just made the food.....
Here is a link to it:

http://www.cooks.com/rec/doc/0,1643,153191-255195,00.html

I did play a little fast and loose with some of the proportions, I like feta a lot and I added more shrimp for the top.
Richard was drooling over the plates I brought home and is now offically jealous of the great time we had. Everything was wonderful, I began to wish i could eat more, even though I was full to the top!!

I am going to buy the book Jessica read for our son, who has a LD in reading, it was SO appropriate! She is going to be a GREAT teacher!!

Looking forward to the BLT throwdown - bring on your A-game guys!!! :D
Retired from LMEMS
Co-Founder and House Mother
Berndows Enterprise
"Time to eat?"
User

Ed Vermillion

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:32 pm

38 degrees 25' 25' N 85 degrees 36' 2' W

by Ed Vermillion » Mon Jul 21, 2008 1:35 am

Miles just let me out of the cookie shoveling room!!!!!! You may be ready for our new alien overlords only because he let you stay on the bridge with him!

Miles: " No, no, Marsha my slendiferous coconut cake queen, let the others prepare for my feast. You and I will rule this puny planet!!!!!!! If Mom say's it's OK."

Thanks to everyone who donated time, talent, food, goodwill and glorious books towards making this a great time.

All the food was outstanding and Jessica has a great start on teachin' them young un's some book learnin'. Yee-Haw.

Special thanks to Carol & Bob for your gracious generosity.

Mr. Pierce: There may be litigation involved with your deadly cake creation. I think the other side is willing to settle for just your recipe. Think about it, things could get ugly. Just put the recipe in a brown paper bag and leave it in my mailbox. I'll make sure it gets to the plaintiff. Trust me.

John: Call me. We need to have a little chat.

P.S. That was not Carla. We don't know a Carla. Never saw her. That was.....uh....mmm......"Penny", yeah, "Penny". Now get those Federal Marshals out of here.
User

carla griffin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:32 pm

by carla griffin » Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:38 am

What a wonderful time. To everyone on the boards that couldn't make it, you were dearly missed. The food was fantastic , the conversations were great. After talking with Jessica it became obvious what a fine, caring teacher she will be.
Uhhh.. :roll: I wish I could have been there.
Carla
There is one thing more exasperating than a wife who can cook and won't, and that's a wife who can't cook and will. ~Robert Frost
User

Jackie R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:48 pm

Highlands

by Jackie R. » Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:35 pm

Marsha, Marsha, Marsha... I've been falling over laughing - you're such a comical writer. I really feel like we just kicked it together.

Marsha L. wrote:
You realize, of course, that Vermillion totally rhymes with Pavilion- right?

*I run off to write a rap song*

So I hope you don't mind my running away with this, but it was too ripe within...

"forumite Ed Vermillon
fire's greastest villain
picnicking at the pavillion
devilish eggs he's revelin"

You could probably do better, so let's have it!
User

Marsha L.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville, KY

by Marsha L. » Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:53 pm

Jackie - why didn't you come?!!! We missed you.

Here's my rap song inspired by the BBQ and Book Drive, in the style of Dr. Seuss:

I'm the
Hip-hop-opotamus
My lyrics are bottomless
My rhymes raise the temperature
Your tracks are preposterous

Pavilion Vermillion
Crashed the cotillion
and made 'bout a million peeps want a gazillion
containers of chimichurri to slurp
And after they slurped, they started to burp

Andrea E stole the show with a trifle
She actually didn't have need of a rifle
She even made clear that Sunday was a good day
And that she was pleased not to have to use her AK

Suzi B busted her butt to feed ours
She made fabulous tea, and shrimp salad - for hours!
Robin and Mary brought the Brisket of Love
Which I admit that I wish that I had some more of

Cindy brought flowers and loaned us her guy
Who rented the club yesterday on the fly
And Carol and Bob brought some beer and some pork
while Pierce showed up late with his gold-plated fork
and some beer and some beer and some more beer, good Lord
my boyfriend brought home beer we couldn't afford!
Then Dave also brought a fat chocolate/beer cake
How much more of this nonsense does he think I can take?

Carla, I hope your cover's not blown
From witness protection, I hope you can phone
To ask for a cab to whisk you away
to join us again on some other fine day

Jessica read us a story and then
We snarfed down her 'tater casserole - WIN!
Her mom was so nice,
There was plenty of ice,
and Miles the Magnificent stole my heart. Twice!
Marsha Lynch
no avatar
User

GaryF

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:05 am

by GaryF » Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:02 am

I tremble at your many talents, Marsha.
I'm am kowtowing even now.