Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.
User

Kim H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:07 pm

Louisville

Grilled pineapple dessert ideas?

by Kim H » Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:18 pm

I am planning a pickynic for some folks at work. I want to offer a dessert, but something light and that would go with the theme (Asian).
My idea is to grill pineapple slices, and mix up some ricotta cheese with some mint and a touch of lime to serve in the center. I may top with a sweet lime/mint drizzle, but not sure I want to go there yet. Don't want it to be too sweet. I really don't know tho, I'm not big on desserts, I'm trying to keep it interesting but light, and it's a picnic, so ice cream or sorbet is out. Any thoughts/ideas/opinions would be much appreciated!
no avatar
User

Sonja W

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:00 pm

Grilled pineapple dessert dessert ideas

by Sonja W » Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:16 am

Your idea so far sounds delish. Although ricotta is not Asian, it would be a nice offset to the concentrated sweetness of grilled pineapple. Maybe add some grilled bananas and toasted coconut? You could brown some coconut flakes ahead of time, maybe glaze them with muscovado or turbinado sugar. The mint/lime drizzle would also work with that.

Let us know what you do!
User

Kim H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville

by Kim H » Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:45 am

Oh, I love the ideas of adding toasted coconut and bananas! Hmmm, should I lightly grill the bananas? Don't have to, just thinking outloud. I had been thinking about putting some brown sugar on the pineapples before grilling. Have to be honest - I had to look up muscovado! Whole Foods? Does it taste different than brown sugar? Also, I thought perhaps marscapone instead of ricotta. I know neither are 'Asian', but thought it sounded kind of interesting and simple. Thanks for the ideas!!! :)
no avatar
User

Sonja W

{ RANK }

Foodie

dessert

by Sonja W » Thu Apr 12, 2007 4:37 pm

Grilled bananas are fantastic and would be a nice complement to the tangy pineapple. Yes, you can find muscovado (and other specialty sugars) at WF. White sugar is made by taking the molasses out of it; supermarket brown sugar is white sugar with some molasses added back in. Muscovado sugar, etc. is a less-processed sugar that retains some of its original elements. In my opinion, it has a richer flavor than white or brown. I've been experimenting with these sugars, even putting them in my morning coffee. I think you would enjoy using them, and they could add something to your dessert.
User

Kim H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville

Sugars

by Kim H » Thu Apr 12, 2007 9:09 pm

I think I'll try them! Is there a difference in baking? I don't bake much, but hubby is into baking bread, and I got him a Wondermill for Christmas. (I've postponed my picnic, but am very excited about the menu I designed. Just going to be too cool next week, and we'll be out of town the week after.) Thanks for the information, Sonja!
User

TanyaD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:31 am

Louisville

Muscovado

by TanyaD » Fri Apr 13, 2007 9:02 am

Sonja,

Is Muscovado the same thing as Sugar in the Raw?
no avatar
User

Sonja W

{ RANK }

Foodie

grilled dessert

by Sonja W » Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:35 pm

Tanya, I'm no expert on this, but if you mean those little packets at good coffee shops, I would say yes. I think it's also referred to as Turbinado sugar. It has a larger crystal than white sugar and is medium brown in color.

Kim, you could marinate fresh pineapple rings and banana (sliced the long way for easier grilling) in sugar and chopped mint. That would release some of the juices, which you could use for basting so the fruit doesn't dry out. You could run some fresh coconut through the shredder disk of a food processor, toast it in a dry skillet (stir frequently to avoid burning) and use it for a garnish. I think the marscapone is a great idea.

I've grilled many fruits before (grilled peaches are fantastic with vanilla ice cream), but not this combination. Now I'm excited to make this dish for my family when we rent a cottage this summer. Thanks for the inspiration!