Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.

Lamb Tenderloins

User

Ken Wilson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:50 pm

Louisville

Lamb Tenderloins

by Ken Wilson » Tue Mar 11, 2008 5:39 pm

I raised this question on the 'Lamb Burgers' thread, but I'd like to throw it open to the general forum. When I lived in Rochester NY I would buy lamb tenderloins on a regular basis. Wegman's (the best supermarket in the country. Look it up) sold them packaged right out there with burger and chops:https://www.wegmans.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10052&productId=377941&catalogId=10002&krypto=QJrbAudPd0vzXUGByeatog%3D%3D&ddkey=http:ProductDisplay.

They cost about $12 to $15 a pound as I remember. Marinated and grilled rare they were perfect summer fare. I have checked Whole Foods, Burgers, and Kingsley. No dice. The guy at Kingsley said, well, when they get in a lamb, they have two, and he'd sell them at about $39 a pound...

Wegman's was almost a monopoly, and it's about the only thing I miss from Rochester. Back home here in the Ville I enjoy running around and supporting all the great small businesses. Still, I think about that lamb. It came from New Zealand - lots of food-miles, but, as marketed by Weg's, 'Food You Feel Good About': no antibiotics, etc.

I'm just wondering if this is just an entree I have to take off my menu....
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 am

Shelby County

Re: Lamb Tenderloins

by TP Lowe » Wed Mar 12, 2008 2:29 pm

I have bought lamb online from Igourmet (although not tenderloin, but here's a link to what they have).

http://www.igourmet.com/shoppe/shoppe.a ... 4323393521
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:31 pm

Try calling Lelia Gentile about her Dreamcatcher Farms lamb. Locally, naturally & humanely raised- Robin has highly recommended it in the past. She and her husband are very customer-focused and if she's got them I know she'd be happy to set them aside upon request. You can buy her lamb at the St. Matthews Farmers market (and several others), but during the off-season, you can also buy it direct from her at her restaurant: they own Stan's Fish Sandwich in St. Matthews.

You can call her at Stan's: 502-896-6600.

Deb Hall
User

Ken Wilson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville

by Ken Wilson » Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:23 pm

Thnks TP and Deb... I live in St Matthews, walking distance from the Farmer's Market in the summer. I was hoping for such a thing - a way to get some tenderloin and not offend my 'buy local first' sensibility.

I haven't seen lamb tenderloin on local menus - I wonder if anybody does it...?
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:26 pm

Ken,

If you want tenderloins at the St. Matthews market, make sure to call Lelia ahead to arrange: they don't usually bring them to the market. I'm assuming that they have them though,... If you call ahead of time , they will definitely bring special orders to the market. Her lamb is wonderful! (Unfortunately, lamb is one of the very few things my husband doesn't particularly care for, or I'd be fighting you for some of those tenderloins). :lol:

Deb
User

Gayle DeM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:42 pm

by Gayle DeM » Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:53 am

I was so busy eating this past weekend. Fresh Market started carrying lamb tenderloins about three weeks ago. This marketing week (through Tuesday) they are on sale at $12.99 /lb. which is $2.00 off the regular price. The tenderloins are imported from Australia and packed in Cryovac with 8-10 tenderloins in each pack that is usually a little over two pounds. I grilled some on Saturday and again on Sunday. Heaven!

I have so missed having lamb tenderloins. I had them regularly when I lived in Canada seventeen years ago. When I moved to Louisville I originally found them at the meat counter in the Haymarket, but alas that is no more. One time I found them at Doll's., but only once. I am so happy to have access to them once again.

As far as I am concerned, Fresh Market scored a home run this week. The Wild Alaskan Salmon Salad (smoked salmon, mayo, parsley & green onion) was also on sale at $5.99/ as opposed to the regular price of $9.99/lb. Additionally, their individual hamburg patties were on sale at $2.49/pattie, down from the regular $2.99/ patty. I think these are the best ready-made hamburgs in town. I am especially partial to the bacon, mozzarella and tomato patties. They are only available ready made on weekends, but they will make them upon request at other times.
"I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian" -Erma Bombeck
User

Ken Wilson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville

by Ken Wilson » Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:25 am

Wow! Thanks for the heads-up... great news! The lamb I got in Rochester at Wegman's was also from Australia (or maybe New Zealand) - long food miles, but I'll swallow my scrupples for some tenderloin now and again. Amazing price - I was just looking on-line for them yesterday, and they go for about 35 bucks a pound, at least.

The salmon sounds too good to be true. There are shortfalls of Alaskan and the price around the world has shot up on what is my favorite protein. I'm definitely headed for Fresh Market. Is it the one way out Shelbyville Road (I'm in St Matthews)?
User

Stephen D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:41 am

Lyndon, Ky

by Stephen D » Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:40 pm

More than likely, it was from New Zealand, and is my personal fave (although Colorado is a close second.) There's something to be said about getting lamb from a place where sheep outnumber people! :lol:
User

Gayle DeM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:42 pm

by Gayle DeM » Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:08 pm

Stephen, I’m confused. Why would you write, "More than likely, it was from New Zealand," when I said it was imported from Australia? I am once again looking at the label "All Natural Free Range Lamb Product of Australia."

Australia is profiting from decreased lamb production in the US and decreased New Zealand lamb exports. In 2005 (The last year for which I could find statistics.) Australian lamb exportation to the US was up 71% over the previous year.
"I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian" -Erma Bombeck
User

Stephen D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:41 am

Lyndon, Ky

by Stephen D » Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:42 pm

I'm sorry, I was responding to Ken's post. The post before mine.