Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

VOLARE!

User

Ed Vermillion

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:32 pm

38 degrees 25' 25' N 85 degrees 36' 2' W

VOLARE!

by Ed Vermillion » Sun Mar 04, 2007 6:57 pm

It had been much too long since a visit to Volare. Last night a group of 6 of us had a sublime evening. I do not know how Chef McGarity and his stellar team manage to raise the bar on every visit but they do.

Majid was his impeccable, generous self. You always feel like you have entered his homefor a casual dinner. the vibe is warm and comfortable with a glow to everything.

The group started with Capsante- Seared, plump scallops over a sweet pea puree. Succulent.

Arancini- Rounds of golden fried risotto balls and

Gnocchi Alla Gorgonzola- Soft potato dumplings about the size of a large marble bathed in a gorgonzola cream sauce. Bits of chewy, smoky pancetta lingered on the tongue like a breathless kiss. My favorite.

My bride had the Della Casa salad pronouncing it excellent. Right on with the house dressing.

We both had the Pappardelle Boscaila for entrees. Wide pappardelle pasta with mushrooms, bacon and a demiglaze cream sauce. This melted in our mouth with the earthiness of the mushrooms and the silken bacon chasing it.

Our friends chose the salmon which looked beautiful but was jealously guarded...alas no sharing with that. :cry:

Service was sublime, the kind where things magically appear and disappear as if hovering on their own. Glasses remain full of your drink, cutlery arrives and departs, just when you thought you might want something it appeared. It has been a long time since everything aligned so perfectly in an evening and I credit that to Majid and staff.

Thank you for having the TOP formal italian restaurant in town. I promise it wont be so long between visits next time.
User

Megan Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:12 pm

scenic Germantown

by Megan Johnson » Sun Mar 04, 2007 7:06 pm

I've been wanting to go there for a VERY long time now.

they were serving up little appetizers at the LEO awards reception last year, and although it was probably made to be a general people-pleaser especially for that event, the stuffed egglplant thing they did pretty much floored me.
User

Ed Vermillion

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:32 pm

38 degrees 25' 25' N 85 degrees 36' 2' W

by Ed Vermillion » Sun Mar 04, 2007 7:19 pm

Go, Megan. Soon. The eggplant dish you speak of I think is called Rotollini Di something (Robin probaly knows) eggplant filled with ricotta cheese and baked. They have them on the menu waiting for you :D
User

Ashley D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 12:24 pm

Louisville

yum!

by Ashley D » Sun Mar 04, 2007 8:45 pm

Volare has become, in my opinion, one of the top restaurants in Louisville. Chefs Dallas and Josh are a great duo, and complement each other so that every dish that leaves the kitchen is absolute perfection.

In addition to the food, though, the whole scene has become very inviting. There is always a great crowd at the bar, but not to where it's loud and unbearable.

I'm friends with everyone there, so maybe I'm biased. But I still have the right to post how I feel! :) Volare can be anything you want it to be, really. And that's what I think is so cool about it.

Oh, and Dallas served the Rotolini at the Readers Choice awards. It's so, so good! Go try it. :)
User

Amy A

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:34 pm

Jeffersonville

by Amy A » Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:54 pm

I love, love, love Volare. Must go soon!
User

Joe C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 12:50 pm

Louisville, KY

Volare

by Joe C » Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:58 pm

I miss the create your own pasta dish. You had 7-8 choices of pasta and an equal number of sauces. I used to get the Gnocchi with the Arrabiata Sauce and a side of their Italian Sausage. I grew up in NJ and don't remember an Arrabiata sauce. We had Diavolo sauce - also spicy and probably very similar. I like food that kicks back.

Salut!
Live to Ride, Ride to Eat!
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Volare

by Robin Garr » Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:06 pm

Joe C wrote:I grew up in NJ and don't remember an Arrabiata sauce. We had Diavolo sauce - also spicy and probably very similar. I like food that kicks back.

My understanding, Joe, is that arrabiata is Roman, although I suspect it historically came down to the city from Abruzzo.

Since most Italian-American cuisine is from the South - Sicilian and Calabrese - chances are the New York/New Jersey style uses the regional moniker rather than the Roman one.

I know diavolo mostly as "Fra Diavolo" ("Brother Devil"), a deliciously spicy sauce normally used with shrimp and other seafood. Does that ring a bell with you?
no avatar
User

DMcGarity

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:55 pm

by DMcGarity » Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:15 pm

Thanks for the great comments everyone.....We have been working very hard at making Volare a great restaurant. I think we have a long way to go but we are very thankful of all the positive feedback.

Chef Dallas McGarity
Volare Ristorante
User

Joe C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 12:50 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: Volare

by Joe C » Sun Mar 04, 2007 11:34 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Joe C wrote:I grew up in NJ and don't remember an Arrabiata sauce. We had Diavolo sauce - also spicy and probably very similar. I like food that kicks back.

My understanding, Joe, is that arrabiata is Roman, although I suspect it historically came down to the city from Abruzzo.

Since most Italian-American cuisine is from the South - Sicilian and Calabrese - chances are the New York/New Jersey style uses the regional moniker rather than the Roman one.

I know diavolo mostly as "Fra Diavolo" ("Brother Devil"), a deliciously spicy sauce normally used with shrimp and other seafood. Does that ring a bell with you?

It was the Fra Diavolo sauce that I remember growing up. It was on plain pasta, shrimp, chicken and even veal.
I am 100% Italian - My Mom's family was from Abruzzi and my dad's father was from Sicily and his mother from Calabria.

You couldn't swing a dead cat up in NJ without hitting a good southern Italian restaurant!

Joe

PS Chef McGarity - keep up the fantastic work!
Live to Ride, Ride to Eat!
User

Suzi Bernert

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:08 pm

Louisville, KY

Stuffed eggplant

by Suzi Bernert » Mon Mar 05, 2007 3:01 pm

I LOVED that at Volare! I Also found some ready-to-heat at the Fresh Market. It is "almost" as good as Volare's. Hubby works there, I can get it when i hace a craving. :wink:
Retired from LMEMS
Co-Founder and House Mother
Berndows Enterprise
"Time to eat?"