Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Do you support the Maker's Mark boycott? Pick as many answers as apply.

Yes, it's a great cause.
No votes
No.
29%
Don't care.
16%
Never heard of it.
28%
I will not patronize (boycott) any establishment that boycotts Maker's Mark
11%
I have, in the past, on at least one occasion, chose another bar/eatery solely because Makers Mark was boycotted
5%
I have pitched a fit in public and embarassed myself and my party because I wanted a Maker's Mark and couldn't get one
2%
I would be interested in signing a petition to have Maker's brought back to the "blue zone" (wouldn't your mom be proud that you took a stand on such an important cause)
5%
I always copy my post on this forum before hitting "submit" because sometimes I hit submit and my post disappears because my log-in timed out.
3%

Total votes : 99
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 am

Shelby County

Re: POLL: This really chaps my hide....

by TP Lowe » Sun Apr 13, 2008 2:30 pm

"In other news, I was one of the first people to become a "Maker's Mark Ambassador" (I know, just more good marketing) years ago. They put your name (among a few others) on a plaque on barrel and invite you to come to its opening when it has aged correctly. I just got notice that mine is being born this spring!"

Hey, same for me! I get to go dip and label mine sometime between now and June. Pretty cool!
no avatar
User

Greg R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:15 am

Crescent Hill

by Greg R. » Sun Apr 13, 2008 2:39 pm

TP Lowe wrote:"In other news, I was one of the first people to become a "Maker's Mark Ambassador" (I know, just more good marketing) years ago. They put your name (among a few others) on a plaque on barrel and invite you to come to its opening when it has aged correctly. I just got notice that mine is being born this spring!"

Hey, same for me! I get to go dip and label mine sometime between now and June. Pretty cool!

They've got us right where they want us don't they!
User

Marsha L.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:56 pm

Louisville, KY

by Marsha L. » Sun Apr 13, 2008 2:43 pm

TP Lowe wrote:"In other news, I was one of the first people to become a "Maker's Mark Ambassador" (I know, just more good marketing) years ago. They put your name (among a few others) on a plaque on barrel and invite you to come to its opening when it has aged correctly. I just got notice that mine is being born this spring!"

I just met a person the other day that has the same June date as a deadline that you and I do.

We should all go together and make it a forum offline (AFTER Derby). Who's in?
Marsha Lynch
LEO columnist, free range cook/food writer/food stylist
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 am

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Sun Apr 13, 2008 3:05 pm

That would be cool - I'm afraid if I don't make it a "formal" event (i.e., on my calendar) I won't get it done. Anyone else have the June deadline?
User

Marsha L.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville, KY

by Marsha L. » Sun Apr 13, 2008 3:07 pm

*Ahem*: my birthday is Friday, June 20 - could we try to plan it for Saturday, June 21?
Marsha Lynch
User

Tony D.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Apr 24, 2007 2:29 am

by Tony D. » Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:03 pm

On a food forum the host uses the phrase: '(or maybe even displaying "round heels")', and no one ventures further off topic to explain this to me? Thank god for the rest of the internet. :)

On topic, I voted that I never heard of the boycott. I have always said that if I had not been born in Kentucky I would not have bothered to develop a taste for bourbon. But I am a Kentuckian, and I am proud to drink a local product, regardless of the corporations involved. And if anyone thinks this ridiculous boycott by some Louisville bars will have the desired economic effect of a boycott, then they should certainly participate in the boycott of said bars: Brendan's will go out of business shortly after Maker's.
User

Kurt R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:08 am

Louisville, KY

by Kurt R. » Mon Apr 14, 2008 4:18 pm

I think the boycott is crazy!
Maker's Mark lounge is just a tourist attraction. In town winery changed their name to Riverbend and opened a place that serves food and wine. Are they boycotting them too? They are entitled to boycott whatever they like, but it sounds like sour grapes. BBC is sold in most establishments that serve micro brew, Huber's wine is sold all around the region and I already spoke of Riverbend. It seems to me that you would carry what the customer wants. Maker's Mark lounge doesn't get it cheaper. Seems to me they should focus on providing the best food, drink and service rather than worrying about a conspiracy.

I guess I should get rid of my Weber Grill, they sell spices at Sam's and have restaurants in some major metro markets. I had a great steak there in Chicago, but I still think it is better at home.
Kurt

Character is measured by a series of split second decisions.
User

Joel Halblieb

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Oct 30, 2007 8:59 pm

Metaphysicalcenteroftheuniverse

by Joel Halblieb » Mon Apr 14, 2008 7:29 pm

You just can not compare Maker's to Evan Williams..Very different recipes. If you are comparing I think Van Winkles is a better match to Maker's. Both use wheat in the mash. Also there are sooooooo many bourbon labels out there that are made by very few distilleries it is silly. Maker's is one nice exception.
no avatar
User

Bill Samuels Jr

{ RANK }

Just got here

Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:25 pm

by Bill Samuels Jr » Wed Apr 16, 2008 4:30 pm

I appreciate Greg R’s offer to boycott Brendan’s as a result of their longtime boycott of Maker’s Mark. But, it is just not the right thing to do. Owners of these establishments have their right of free speech in our free society and I respect that. I even respect the fact they are excellent restaurateurs by any measure.

Now let me take a moment & explain what caused what some might say was an overreaction on their part.

It goes back 5 or 6 years ago when former Louisville Mayor Dave Armstrong was trying to entice the Baltimore based urban development group, Cordish, to accept the challenge of helping him revitalize the downtown area by developing an entertainment district along 4th Street. The Mayor reached out to the business community – particularly those of us with strong local brands – to help by lending our brand name to an establishment within the district. Maker’s was chosen since it has a reputation as a premium Kentucky bourbon around the world. As an active member of our local Chamber of Commerce (having recently completed a term as Chairman), I jumped at the chance to help our community.

Cordish wanted to name one of the venues …”the Maker’s Mark Bourbon House & Lounge”. We said fine so long as 1. the lounge would be the finest bourbon bar in the country (we thought it ought to be in KY) and 2. all other fine bourbons produced in the commonwealth would be equally represented and that their respective master distillers would always feel welcome at the Lounge. It is also important to know that no money changed hands between ourselves & Cordish as a result of our allowing them to use the Maker’s name on the door. The Maker’s Lounge is totally owned by the Cordish Company & has been so successful that its twin sister will be opening next week in Kansas City.

That is the story of why we got involved with the development of downtown Louisville thru lending our name of one of the venue’s in 4th Street Live.

To all the Maker’s fans out there who are inconvenienced when visiting one of these establishments, I ask that you not take any spiteful actions. These men are outstanding citizens of our community, tremendous at employing their craft and possibly someday we may be able to sit down & have a good laugh over the whole thing. That is until they find out my ancestors were followers of William of Orange.

Take care & thanks for listening.

Bill Samuels, Jr.
User

Marsha L.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville, KY

by Marsha L. » Wed Apr 16, 2008 4:37 pm

Well, there you go. Classiest response possible.

Thanks so much for your explanation/input, Mr. Samuels. I will be at the distillery this spring to tap my personal barrel!

/bourbon groupie extraordinaire
Marsha Lynch
User

Jeremy J

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:30 am

Louisville, KY

by Jeremy J » Wed Apr 16, 2008 4:51 pm

color me totally impressed! I'll have to give maker's another shot.
User

Tom Holstein

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:55 am

Derby City :)

by Tom Holstein » Wed Apr 16, 2008 5:19 pm

Marsha L. wrote:Well, there you go. Classiest response possible.

Thanks so much for your explanation/input, Mr. Samuels. I will be at the distillery this spring to tap my personal barrel!

/bourbon groupie extraordinaire

I concur.......the cream always rises to the TOP....
no avatar
User

Greg R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:15 am

Crescent Hill

by Greg R. » Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:47 pm

Bill Samuels Jr wrote:I appreciate Greg R’s offer to boycott Brendan’s as a result of their longtime boycott of Maker’s Mark. But, it is just not the right thing to do. Owners of these establishments have their right of free speech in our free society and I respect that. I even respect the fact they are excellent restaurateurs by any measure.

Well said. And this exactly why I have not boycotted these bars nor do I intend for anyone else to. I did, however, toss the idea around of a petition to try to convince them to "get over it".
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:57 pm

Bill Samuels Jr wrote:I appreciate Greg R’s offer to boycott Brendan’s as a result of their longtime boycott of Maker’s Mark. But, it is just not the right thing to do. Owners of these establishments have their right of free speech in our free society and I respect that. I even respect the fact they are excellent restaurateurs by any measure.

While I agree with Bill's comments, everyone also needs to recognize the fact that we as consumers have the right to frequent whatever establishments we want, if we choose not to visit one (ie. boycott it) it is also our right.

The restaurants and bars that are participating in the boycott just need to realize how silly it really is! :P
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
User

Doogy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:15 pm

The purlieus of Louisville, KY

by Doogy R » Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:03 pm

Go Kentucky. Go Maker's. RE: Bill Samuels Jr. One of the best posts ever. I love KY bourbon.

BTW Mr. Samuels, I am of Scottish descent myself. I wonder if we are somehow related in the distant past. My folks are from the Renfrewshire area not far from Glasgow.
Great food along with great company is truly one of lifes best treasures.
Previous