Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.

Heirloom/Organic Seeds

no avatar
User

NicoleC

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jan 02, 2008 8:09 pm

Cherokee Triangle

Heirloom/Organic Seeds

by NicoleC » Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:05 pm

Any recommendations for places near/in the Highlands that I can buy organic and/or heirloom seeds? We have a small yard so this year I will probably stick to mainly herbs and tomatoes in pots. I just want to get the seeds started on my window ledges.

Thanks in advance!
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

Re: Heirloom/Organic Seeds

by Deb Hall » Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:29 pm

I buy my organic and Heirloom seeds via mailorder from John Scheepers Kitchen Garden Seeds. Great catalog, incredible variety, great service, knowledgeable staff.

http://www.kitchengardenseeds.com

Deb
User

John Hagan

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:38 pm

SPENCER CO. Lake Wazzapamani

by John Hagan » Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:27 am

Even though I always promote going to a local business first, in this case I would reccomend going online or a specialty catalog. A nice company that offers both standard and organics, plus heirlooms, is Johnnys seeds. johnnyseeds.com. I grow plants for a living and have found them to be a good reliable source for some varied stuff. I go thru alot of different sources for my seed, but have found most of them online. Every now and then I have got some on Ebay. If you cant find something in particular PM me and I'll see if I can find it. Also, by planting time there will be heirlooom tomato plants and a nice selection of herb plants at the Bardstown rd. farmer market.
The tall one wants white toast, dry, with nothin' on it.
And the short one wants four whole fried chickens, and a Coke.
User

Beth K.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed May 23, 2007 2:18 pm

by Beth K. » Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:31 am

I've been happy with Seeds of Change. They do online and catalogue orders. If you don't want to start everything from seed, they have a nice program where you can order your plants now and they'll send them when it's the appropriate time to be planted in your region. This is especially nice for heirlooms which, in my experience, can be finicky. Good luck!