Off-topic discussions about regional news, issues and politics. Pretty much everything goes here, but keep it polite: Flaming and spamming aren't welcome.
User

Jo Self

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:54 pm

St. Matthews

by Jo Self » Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:38 pm

And if you do think about St. Matthews, or even a bit more in the east end, I'd like to say that I've really liked the new Urban Active (used to be Gold's Gym, but is now under more local management). Decent monthly rates, a lap pool with classes, a 20 min machine circuit, indoor track, racquetball and basketball courts... There's on in St. Matts, on Taylorsville Rd and Dorsey Ln - all in the areas you've mentioned. Plus, Humana has a deal there so there is actually a great mix of 20s to 70s there. I've never once felt uncomfortable as a 30-something.

Best of luck looking and with your move to the 'ville.
Food is our common ground, a universal experience. - James Beard
Event Savant
Bon Vivant Savant Dining & Events Club
http://bonvivantsavant.com
http://www.bvsevents.com
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

Re: Lets Talk Fitness Clubs

by Ron Johnson » Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:56 am

David O. wrote:
Ron Johnson wrote:Steve: given those parameters you should look hard at St. Matthews. Great neighborhood, very centrally located, homes with big yards available, and amenable to a home-based business.

No matter what the cost. :wink:

I don't get it? Is St. Matthews considered more expensive than Hurstbourne, Prospect or Oldham? I just glanced through listings and saw lots of very reasonably priced houses. I know of a very nice 3 bed, 2 bath on Hillsboro Road with a huge yard that sold for under 200K. I guess I don't get out to the burbs enough to know the real estate market very well.
User

Charles W.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:53 pm

Schnitzelburg

by Charles W. » Sun Feb 03, 2008 12:24 pm

We've looked at houses a couple of times in the past four years and have been surprised that comparable homes outside the Watterson are cheaper than those inside, and the same with the Snyder. I had always thought of "out east" as expensive.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sun Feb 03, 2008 1:12 pm

Charles W. wrote:We've looked at houses a couple of times in the past four years and have been surprised that comparable homes outside the Watterson are cheaper than those inside, and the same with the Snyder. I had always thought of "out east" as expensive.

Maybe the issue is "comparable"? When I think of the 'burbs, I usually visualize large tract mansions, but in fairness, there are a lot of older subdivisions with smaller houses out there that are probably more comparable to city properties in size if not in character. You don't see a lot of Polo Fields-type houses in Crescent Hill.
User

Charles W.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:53 pm

Schnitzelburg

by Charles W. » Sun Feb 03, 2008 1:50 pm

Yes "comparable" is the issue. A four bedroom, 2000 square foot house off Brownsboro, between the Watterson and the Snyder is cheaper than a comparable house in St. Matthews, Crescent Hill, or the Highlands. I was pretty surprised.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:15 pm

Charles W. wrote:Yes "comparable" is the issue. A four bedroom, 2000 square foot house off Brownsboro, between the Watterson and the Snyder is cheaper than a comparable house in St. Matthews, Crescent Hill, or the Highlands. I was pretty surprised.

Actually, now that we've agreed on terms, I'm not that surprised. Supply and demand. It's relatively easy to build more tract mansions in the 'burbs; there's much less room for new and infill construction in the city (although it's certainly happening - they found a way to squeeze in a dozen $300,000 condo townhomes on an "unbuildable" wooded lot not far from us in Crescent Hill.) There's a heck of a demand for houses along Bardstown and Frankfort, and only a finite supply of properties to satisfy it.
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

by Ron Johnson » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:14 pm

no avatar
User

Eliza W

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:24 pm

Indian Hills

by Eliza W » Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:59 am

One caution: Be very careful about allowing an agent to dictate where you look. Our agent lived in the Highlands, and he knew that area well, but he had little, if any, knowledge of other areas.

He showed us a number of properties in the Highlands, and they were pretty good, but we just couldn't find one on our price range with a separate home office and good bathrooms for a family of 4, soon to be 5. I actually found our house from a listing on his company's website, and I had him check out the comps in the area. It turned out to be a relatively good buy, but he would not have found it on his own. We love Indian Hills - it's a beautifully, lush, family-friendly neighborhood close to St. Matthews and Crescent Hill. The schools are in a good cluster, and our kids will attend Ballard High School.

Agents tend to stay in the areas that they know best. I don't suggest any ulterior motives; it's just that they stay where their expertise is.

Do lots of digging on your own; try websites such as semonin.com.
User

Doug W

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:30 pm

LAC - Westport

by Doug W » Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:25 am

I go to LAC Westport, but only early in the morning. It's not too crowded then (5am-7am), but the parking lot is crammed around 5pm. They are expanding and renovating now, so there will be more capacity. They have good equipment, a cardio room, spinning room, yoga room, various other "class" type rooms. No pool though.

The NE YMCA is nice- we used to have a family membership there. They do have A LOT of families there. It's great if you have kids, but not so great if you just want to work out. They tend to be very busy as the usual peak times. Very nice, just too crowded for my tastes.

Good luck in the house search - should be a buyers market!

Regards,

Doug
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

by Steve P » Thu Feb 07, 2008 2:29 pm

Eliza W wrote:One caution: Be very careful about allowing an agent to dictate where you look. Our agent lived in the Highlands, and he knew that area well, but he had little, if any, knowledge of other areas.

He showed us a number of properties in the Highlands, and they were pretty good, but we just couldn't find one on our price range with a separate home office and good bathrooms for a family of 4, soon to be 5. I actually found our house from a listing on his company's website, and I had him check out the comps in the area. It turned out to be a relatively good buy, but he would not have found it on his own. We love Indian Hills - it's a beautifully, lush, family-friendly neighborhood close to St. Matthews and Crescent Hill. The schools are in a good cluster, and our kids will attend Ballard High School.

Agents tend to stay in the areas that they know best. I don't suggest any ulterior motives; it's just that they stay where their expertise is.

Do lots of digging on your own; try websites such as semonin.com.

At the moment we are working with an agent who specializes in Oldham Co. That being said, both Becky and I have reached that age where we've have benefited from a few of lifes experiences...in other words we've learned a few lessons the hard way...So we have no intention of letting him pigeon hole us. I have been keeping a pretty close eye on the MLS (primarily the east side) and it seems like we're getting into that time of year (perhaps a bit earlier than usual) where new properties are appearing on the market daily. I'm sure we'll find something that fits our needs.
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
no avatar
User

Michelle R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed May 30, 2007 1:28 pm

Hikes Point

by Michelle R. » Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:21 pm

I go to Fitness Factory on Taylorsville Road. It's small, but inexpensive, and it's a very friendly, inclusive place.

I also have the phone # for a fantastic personal trainer, if anyone needs one. Since working with him, I've lost 120 lbs the old fashioned way. No surgery involved!
"If you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly!"
no avatar
User

Jenn R

{ RANK }

Just got here

Tue Feb 26, 2008 5:53 pm

Hikes Point

by Jenn R » Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:39 am

I'm with Michelle! Fitness Factory. You just can't beat the price as long as you don't mind it doesnt have any child sitting service or all the bells and whistles. love my gym!
User

Heather Y

{ RANK }

In Time Out Room

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:07 pm

Prospect

by Heather Y » Sun Mar 02, 2008 8:10 pm

Not to mention the St. Matthews proximity to the JCC!

http://www.jccoflouisville.org :D
User

Marsha L.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:56 pm

Louisville, KY

by Marsha L. » Mon Mar 03, 2008 3:51 pm

I have to say, if you are looking at St. Matthews, you should at least avail yourself of a look at Milestone Fitness Center, out behind the Mall St. Matthews. Two pools, giant jacuzzi, indoor track, cardio theater with all the latest machines, every type of weight machine you could ever imagine, classes for days that are free with membership. Hell, there's an actual restaurant IN THE GYM that offers everything from fruit smoothies to tuna salad sandwiches to sugar free desserts to frickin' PIZZA. Really the latest, latest, latest in technology. You just need a pair of headphones...you can actually bring a DVD with you to play on your own personal screen while you do cardio!
Marsha Lynch
LEO columnist, free range cook/food writer/food stylist
User

Heather Y

{ RANK }

In Time Out Room

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:07 pm

Prospect

by Heather Y » Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:27 pm

hey Marsha,
How are ya?

There is a cafe in the Jcc called Cafe "J" and they also offer full service catering (kosher too) if requested!
PreviousNext