Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.

Competition BBQ Cooking ?

User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

Competition BBQ Cooking ?

by Steve P » Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:42 pm

Hi All,

As we've already documented in previous posts Becky and I are in the planning stages of relocating to Louisville (with the move coming in the May/Jun time period). We have been "digesting" much of what is written in this forum and have found it to be a HUGE resource for all things "Loo-ah-vul" :D

To the point of this post. We're curious if any of you have tried your luck on the competition BBQ circuit ? We've cooked in a contest or two over the past couple of years (our best showing was a win in the pork rib catagory in the MN State Championship 2006) and would like to get back into it once we get resettled.

I've checked Kansas City BBQ Society schedule and see there are a couple of contests within an hour or two of "The Ville" this summer. Are any of you aware of any other locally sponsored contests...perhaps something that is tied in with a local fair or event ? On a related note, how about Chili cookoffs ?...Is this something that has managed to creap up from Texas yet ?

Just curious.
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
User

Beth K.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed May 23, 2007 2:18 pm

by Beth K. » Wed Feb 13, 2008 7:05 pm

Paducah holds an annual festival every year "Barbeque on the River" that includes a competition. There's also a statewide "Grillin and Chilin" competition in Owensboro. Lastly, you can also find a few in Tennesee, including a World Championship competition in Memphis, if you're up for the drive.
User

Leann C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:42 pm

Highlands

by Leann C » Wed Feb 13, 2008 7:17 pm

I can't help much with the BBQ info, but I'm sure someone else will have some good info for you.

There is a local chili cook-off every year at The Phoenix Hill Tavern. I believe it's usually held in October. It's a lot of fun! There's live music, samples of the chili...and beer! We've gone every year for at least 15 years. Many (most) of the entrants dress up in costume and decorate their booths to match their theme. There's "Fire-In-The-Hole" chili and "Elvis Chili" etc. I googled and found this entry form, but I believe it may be from a previous year.
http://www.phoenixhill.com/images/event ... 202006.pdf
User

Scott Schamel

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:02 am

Louisville, KY

Re: Competition BBQ Cooking ?

by Scott Schamel » Mon Feb 18, 2008 4:14 am

I know of a BBQ competition in Madison, Indiana held every year, but I have always missed it.
User

Kurt R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:08 am

Louisville, KY

by Kurt R. » Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:24 pm

Scott Schamel wrote:I know of a BBQ competition in Madison, Indiana held every year, but I have always missed it.

The BBQ contest is called Brews, Blues and BBQ or it was

Madison also holds a chili/soup cook off called Ribber Fest

Contact the Madison Indiana Chamber of Commerce for details
Kurt

Character is measured by a series of split second decisions.
no avatar
User

David O.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:52 am

Louisville

by David O. » Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:18 am

David O.
User

Scott Schamel

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:02 am

Louisville, KY

by Scott Schamel » Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:38 pm

OK. Did my first pulled pork BBQ of the season today..

20 LBS sold out in 3 hours.....

Hurry up SPRING!!!!!
If you keep looking back, you will miss what's ahead....