Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.

Pomegranates

no avatar
User

Dan L.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:52 pm

Pomegranates

by Dan L. » Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:34 pm

I needed a pomegranate or two for a salad recipe which called for the seeds. I had a difficult time finding them yesterday, but I found some at a Valu Market. The problem is that they sold me a bag full of them for $.79 as they were a little past their prime. I probably seeded 6-8 of them last night and still have another 8 left. Anyone have any suggestions?? Of the few recipes I have tried which included the seeds, I have only found that my wife has liked them in salad so far. Looking for something that will change her mind. Thanks!
no avatar
User

Kimberly W

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Nov 02, 2007 1:22 pm

by Kimberly W » Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:09 pm

Try this easy recipe.... It is very tasty!

1/2 cup toasted walnuts
2 teaspoons flour
pinch of salt
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1/2 cup pomegranate juice
Pomegranate seeds
1/2 cup fruity red wine
1/2 cup chicken or beef stock
1 tablespoon butter
Salt and pepper to taste
Minced thyme
olive oil

In a medium sauce pan, combine the pomegranate juice, seeds from half the fruit, red wine and broth. Simmer on medium for about 15 minutes, or until reduced by a third. Swirl in the butter, taste and add a pinch of sugar if you think it is too sour, also season with salt and pepper and add the minced thyme. Continue to simmer on low, while you make the chicken.

In a small chopper, combine the walnuts and flour until finely chopped (but not turned to walnut butter!) pour onto a wide plate and dredge the chicken (both sides) in the nut mixture then saute in a large skillet over medium high heat for about 4 minutes (each side) until throughly cooked. Remove from heat, garnish with the remaining seeds and serve with the sauce.

Serves four
no avatar
User

Dan L.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:52 pm

Thanks, Kimberly W.

by Dan L. » Wed Feb 13, 2008 6:12 pm

I will give that a try, maybe served with some cous cous or basmati rice.
User

Stephen D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:41 am

Lyndon, Ky

Re: Pomegranates

by Stephen D » Sat Apr 05, 2008 2:13 pm

A nice way to use pomegranate is to infuse vodka with it. You basically want to place all the seeds in a container, then fill that container with just enough vodka to cover them. Refridgerate for 2- 4 weeks and then discard the seeds. You can now use it however you want- in a cocktail, a flambe, or an interesting take on penne a la vodka. The options are endless. :D
no avatar
User

robert szappanos

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:17 pm

louisville, ky

by robert szappanos » Sat Apr 05, 2008 3:25 pm

You will only find the fruit around here from around the mid part of Oct to the end of Nov....If they still had any left now they were bad and probably very bitter inside....
no avatar
User

Leah A

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Dec 25, 2007 1:00 pm

Elizabethtown

by Leah A » Sat Apr 05, 2008 3:42 pm

Alton Brown had an episode earlier this week making pomegranete syrup and molasses for marinades, sauces, and cocktails.
Here's a link to the recipes:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/show_ea ... 04,00.html
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

by RonnieD » Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:20 am

yeah, extra pomegranates always mean fresh grenadine!
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY