Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.

weird eats

User

Jo Self

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:54 pm

St. Matthews

by Jo Self » Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:49 pm

Mmmm, peanut butter and maple syrup - especially on waffles, it was the only way I would eat them as a kid. But some other favorites were:

- Peanut butter, Miracle Whip (and sometimes banana too) sandwiches
- Wendy's french fries dipped in the Frosty
- Milk Duds or Bunchacrunch in popcorn
- my babysitters and I would always make up shakes as well and take anything that sounded good, from Fresh Fruit (the freshening agent) to jelley's food colorings, soda, etc... never knew what we'd get.
- and my all time favorite Sunday morning sandwich - peanut butter, jelly, runny fried egg, bacon, mayo and a slice of Velveeta. I still do this when I go to waffle House and use the waffle as the bread.

Great topic...
Food is our common ground, a universal experience. - James Beard
Event Savant
Bon Vivant Savant Dining & Events Club
http://bonvivantsavant.com
http://www.bvsevents.com
User

carla griffin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:32 pm

by carla griffin » Mon Feb 04, 2008 7:44 am

I find treads like this fascinating. What receptors in our brain fire up to create the sensation of pleasure? (Or I guess, more importantly, what stimulates those receptors?) After reading the entries it's obvious it's not just taste that goes into play - it's texture, heat, smell and it would seem, most importantly, memory. Association. A definite feeling of nostalgia.
Perhaps that's why discussions on what tastes good and what's 'worthy' to eat can get so ...ummm... extensive?
Carla
There is one thing more exasperating than a wife who can cook and won't, and that's a wife who can't cook and will. ~Robert Frost
User

Tom Holstein

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:55 am

Derby City :)

by Tom Holstein » Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:38 pm

Small pineapple chunks wrapped with anchovy filet then skewered with a small chunk of buffalo mozzarella.........great with Riesling.
Creamy, salty and sweet...........I'm Nuts!
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:46 pm

One of my all time favorite sandwich is PB (crunchy Peter Pan thank you) with four strips of bacon on toast. Gotta love the salt of the bacon with the sweetness of the PB!

Another favorite sandwich is the toasty cheese sandwich is a big slab of Vidalia onion in the middle.

For dessert I love a nice piece of sharp cheddar cheese with apple pie instead of ice cream. This may be a northern thing since I was brought up in New York and that's the way every one ate apple pie.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

GaryF

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:05 am

by GaryF » Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:13 am

Mark R. wrote:One of my all time favorite sandwich is PB (crunchy Peter Pan thank you) with four strips of bacon on toast. Gotta love the salt of the bacon with the sweetness of the PB!

Another favorite sandwich is the toasty cheese sandwich is a big slab of Vidalia onion in the middle.

For dessert I love a nice piece of sharp cheddar cheese with apple pie instead of ice cream. This may be a northern thing since I was brought up in New York and that's the way every one ate apple pie.

I always thought PB and Bacon was a classic- I never considered it weird.
Somewhere I have a reciepe for apple pie with a cheddar crust- almost as good as a hunk of cheese with the pie.
User

Kim H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:07 pm

Louisville

Re: weird eats

by Kim H » Sun Mar 02, 2008 5:03 pm

I haven't posted much in a while, and tend to forget about the Kitchen board, but what a great topic! A few that I grew up with:

Cofffe Biscuits for breakfast - Leftover stale biscuits soaked with fresh coffee, milk, and brown sugar. Probably how I learned to love coffee (and Oreos dipped in Mom's coffee after lunch!) But boy, did that sit like a brick all morning!

Sliced Bananas topped with mayo or Miracle Whip (not sure which), and chopped peanuts. That is surprisingly good!

This is actually kind of a good idea - one of my best friends and I would make marshmellow sandwiches for a snack after school. Take a slice of bread, place mini marshmellows on it, and put it in the toaster oven under the broiler. It's like having roasted marshmellows right in the kitchen! For peanut butter lovers, spread that on first. That was another thing we ate at my house, peanut butter and marshmellow cream sandwiches. I don't have much of a sweet tooth these days, so neither is that appealing, but they sure were good then!
User

Jessica Devine

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:29 pm

Germantown

by Jessica Devine » Sun Mar 02, 2008 5:11 pm

Kim H wrote:Sliced Bananas topped with mayo or Miracle Whip (not sure which), and chopped peanuts. That is surprisingly good!

I had something similar at a baby shower. They sliced bananas (banana split style), spread homemade mayonaise on them, and rolled them in crunched up Saltines and peanuts. I don't like mayo and probably wouldn't have tried a bite had I known what it was, but I'm glad I did. It almost tastes like peanut butter.

This one is probably not so weird. After a New Year's party, I had some leftover champagne. I drink strawberry-banana V8 Fusion religiously so I decided to mix the two together. It was better than any Mimosa I've ever had!
User

Carolyne Davis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 24, 2007 11:22 am

by Carolyne Davis » Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:21 am

That was another thing we ate at my house, peanut butter and marshmellow cream sandwiches. I don't have much of a sweet tooth these days, so neither is that appealing, but they sure were good then![/quote]

FLUFFERNUTTERS!!!!!
User

Kim H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:07 pm

Louisville

by Kim H » Sat Mar 08, 2008 2:24 pm

Carolyne Davis wrote:That was another thing we ate at my house, peanut butter and marshmellow cream sandwiches. I don't have much of a sweet tooth these days, so neither is that appealing, but they sure were good then!

FLUFFERNUTTERS!!!!![/quote]

What a great name for them!!
Previous