Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Danny Mac's Cheesesteak....

User

Marsha L.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:56 pm

Louisville, KY

Danny Mac's Cheesesteak....

by Marsha L. » Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:17 pm

ROCKS!!!!!

On the old forum, there's a long thread with many recent posts about Danny Mac's Pizza on Clarks Lane over by St. X. So many posts, in fact, that I think there was some suspicion on the part of forum regulars that it was a spam/guerrilla marketing campaign.

Aside from the comments about the pizza, there were a lot of endorsements for their philly cheesesteak sandwich. Now, my boyfriend is an official cheesesteak connoisseur/aficionado, and had yet to find a worthy cheesesteak in Louisville. (caveat: we have yet to try Spinelli's)

This morning, I visited Danny Mac's and had a chat with Danny himself while he was making my philly to go. I told him my bf was the "Cheesesteak Ninja", and I'd be reporting back on his opinion of the sandwich.

I rushed the precious cargo home and presented it as breakfast in bed. Bun perfectly toasted, shaved steak, onions, peppers and provolone melded together in a symphony of flavor, served with a side of jus... John sleepily mumbled "oh my god, officially the best cheesesteak I've had in this city!" while holding it out of my reach.

I spent the next few minutes begging for "just one more bite" . We can't wait to try the pizza, and their extended hours (open until 11 or 1 every night) will make it possible even with our cramped schedules. I'd also like to add that after talking with Danny I'm convinced he had no hand in the avalanche of endorsements on the old forum thread and is just pleased and amazed to finally be "discovered" by the foodie contingent in Louisville. Nice guy, nice place. I told him he needs to get some t-shirts printed that say "DANNY MAC'S PIZZA ROCKS!!!!!!" Heh.

Danny Mac's website
no avatar
User

Brian Curl

by Brian Curl » Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:21 pm

I have posted on this site for a while, probably at least a year or so. I found out about Danny's on mojo. I've tried his pizza twice and I think it is very good. I saw Robin mention Papa John's or one of the chains in the same post regarding DM's. I don't see them as in the same league, I think DM's is far superior.

However, I had the cheesesteak yesterday for the first time. It is very, very good. The pizza and especially the cheesesteak are worth the drive from Fern Creek to me.

My co-worker and I went and he loved it also.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:40 pm

Brian Curl wrote:I saw Robin mention Papa John's or one of the chains in the same post regarding DM's. I don't see them as in the same league, I think DM's is far superior.

Must be some misunderstanding ... I'm sure I never said anything like that. I've enjoyed Danny Mac's pizza and absolutely think it's much better than PJ's. I'm not sure I'd rank it as the city's best as yet, but it's certainly well above the median.
User

Danny Mac

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 5:46 pm

1567 South Shelby Street

What Ronin Said was....

by Danny Mac » Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:51 pm

I had to jump in on this....All Robin said was That Danny Mac's Pizza has got Papa John's beat by far. I think that is what he said.lol....Also he said....Danny Mac's shouldn't be crowned Pizza king...He knows his stuff and I don't think he has tried everything from here yet.

I like this new format...way to go whoever did it.....

Thank you everyone for all the talk...good or bad. That is what will make me stronger.

Carry on guys.lol 8)
no avatar
User

Brian Curl

by Brian Curl » Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:59 pm

I thought it was pretty good, far better than Papa John's. I'm not sure it's ready to claim the king's throne just yet, but I do respect the effort they're making.

Here is the actual quote. I guess I just usually don't see you comparing indies to chains, that is why I thought it unusual.

Make sure you are hungry if you get to try the cheesesteak. I struggled to eat it all but it is one of those things you have to finish, very good.

I am tracking my nutrition in a program that you put in your food and it tracks calories. With something like this you have to put in the ingredients seperately. I asked how much meat was on the cheesesteak and was told 8oz. Although, this program would be an estimate I'd say the cheesesteak is somewhere in the neighborhood of between 600-700 calories or so :shock: , but well worth it for a treat. I ate light for dinner that night :lol:
no avatar
User

Matt B

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:13 pm

Louisville, KY

Had to Try it

by Matt B » Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:25 am

I had to get out and try this cheese steak last night after all I've read and I really enjoyed it. The toasted bun was a nice touch and the thing was loaded and very cheesy. I live in the Germantown area and its great to find one more little eatery that I don't have to drive a long distance to get to.
User

Marsha L.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:56 pm

Louisville, KY

by Marsha L. » Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:06 pm

I went back after work on the way home last night because I wanted MY OWN cheesesteak, heh. Took a meatball sub home to the bf - it also met favorably with his exacting sandwich standards. Next thing we will try will be the pizza. I saw a loaded one going down the conveyor belt while I was waiting for my sandwiches; it looked great!!
User

Danny Mac

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 5:46 pm

1567 South Shelby Street

You all inspire me.lol

by Danny Mac » Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:38 pm

After seeing all of the great comments and jokes about my place, I decided to be creative last night and I made a site using some of your ideas. You guys are really inspiring me to be better.lol

Now Danny Mac's ROCKS!!!. 8)

Thanks Yal!!![/url]

http://www.dannymacspizza.com
Last edited by Danny Mac on Mon Aug 13, 2007 2:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
User

barry.g

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:50 am

philly

by barry.g » Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:47 pm

just tried their philly friday,loved it verry good
tried the pizza also ,and it was also verry good i prefer my crust a little thicker but all was well put together and tastes great together :P
as the ship sink's I will be partying with the band
User

TanyaD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:31 am

Louisville

Yay!

by TanyaD » Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:55 pm

I got quoted!! :D