Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Corbett's: Give it FIVE stars!

by Robin Garr » Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:27 am

It's too late, and I'm too full, to go into much more detail now, but more will be forthcoming soon, I'm sure, from me and a few other forumites who snagged seats at tonight's soft opening at Corbett's - An American Place.

I'll say this, though: For food, mood, service, innovation and extreme attention to every detail, there is nothing else like this in Louisville and darn little like this anywhere. It's truly remarkable, and I strongly recommend that you get there and try it as soon as you can. (Opening night is Saturday, but they're booked full; should have availability next week, though, at least until the buzz turns into a roar. It will also be open for lunch starting the day after Christmas. (Open sooner, but on a limited basis and fully booked.)

Unbelievable ... I'm still glowing just thinking of the food, the service, the wine program, the atmosphere ... the old Von Allmen mansion has been beautifully, lovingly restored into a spectacular, comfortable dining venue. Silverware from Italy ... Schott Zwiesel titanium-crystal wine glasses - gold-rim china chase plates and white linen ... just go. You won't regret it. Trust me on this.
no avatar
User

Rob_DeLessio

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:25 pm

by Rob_DeLessio » Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:37 am

I would expect nothing less from Dean, Chris, and Kevin....that said, Robin, you were dining where my friends and I played football, war, tag, etc...as kids...I grew up a stone's throw from there....my how times have changed.

That said, we are due to dine there in the very near future, I am going with a blind eye and pallet, and know that I will be in awe.
User

Amy A

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:34 pm

Jeffersonville

by Amy A » Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:46 am

I am not surprised one bit. I can't wait to dine there.
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

Wow!!!

by Deb Hall » Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:53 am

More details later as I got 4 hours sleep last night but WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was priviledged to be one of first folks to eat at Corbett's tonight. The ambience is incredible and the food was exceptional. There really is nothing else like this in Louisville. Kudos to Dean, Chris, Nick and the rest of the staff: You've really created something special!

Note to Forumites:They also have several really classy private rooms, so if you are looking for something special for an office party or special occasion, Corbett's would be really special.

Deb
User

Todd Pharris

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:59 pm

by Todd Pharris » Fri Dec 14, 2007 2:14 am

Congratulations, Dean! Despite the accolades that will undoubtedly come your way, please refrain from referring to yourself in the third person. :D

I worked at Equus YEARS ago, and I haven't been able to enjoy a crabcake since; they all pale in comparison to Dean's. And the mushroom fume and artichoke bisque? Perfect.
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

by Ron Johnson » Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:50 am

This is a special restaurant. Louisville has never seen anything like this. This is a destination restaurant of the highest order. No expense has been spared and no detail overlooked. The restaurant reminds me of a Michelin 3 star in the countryside of France where every aspect of your evening revolves around your meal and every minute of your stay has been anticipated and planned. The renovation of the historic home is stunning. The attention to detail shows up in the careful thought that went into the custom made furniture, including the ergonomically correct banquette benches. The basement houses some of the coolest rooms in the house, and the massive porch is climate controlled and beautifully finished. Then there is the food. It's an ambitious menu. I expected nothing less from Chef Deano and Chef Howerton. The appetizers are just right, ranging from peekytoe crab to frog legs to veal cheek ravioli. It's the kind of list that you can anguish over for hours. We had the frisee salad with lardons and a quail egg and the frog legs two ways (confit and crispy cornmeal fried). Both were excellent. They were preceded by an arctic char amuse bouche that set the palate humming. The bread is made in house, and while it is not Blue Dog it is well-made. The butter is the excellent product from the Vermont Butter & Cheese Company. Water is filtered, purified and served chilled without ice in large, squat tumblers. Wine glasses are correct to the wine being served. The main courses are notable for two things: vegetarian options are not an afterthought, and a wide assortment of carefully prepared vegetables play more than a mere supporting role in the meat dishes. Veal loin is paired with smoked sweet potato slices. Elk loin is draped over a medley of roasted winter root vegetables, including golden beets, and cod is served with artichokes and wrapped in a potato crust. The elk loin was superb, deeply meaty in flavor with just enough mineral tang of gaminess to remind you that it's not beef. Main courses are followed by a worthy cheese program that will soon be served from a proper trolley, and a list of fine desserts. The chocolate beignets with a molten chocolate center are devilishly good.
The wine program was not yet in place last night, but Troy Ritchie is in charge of it, so I know it will be damn good.

I predict that soon this will be the most difficult reservation in town every night of the week. Book now.
User

Jay M.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:09 pm

by Jay M. » Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:26 am

Ron, great review! In addition to the stellar dishes from the kitchen, we’ve always thought the hallmark of Chef Corbett’s Equus is the impeccable service, and that tradition has carried on nicely to Corbett’s. There is an art to such fine service and management obviously takes it very seriously.

He has indeed overlooked no detail – Chef Corbett described the ice he’s selected and the size of the springs in the upholstered banquettes (8-inch) – all intended to make the diners’ experience more enjoyable.

Here’s the cool thing: a room near the front of the restaurant that used to be part of the mansion’s porch includes the “chef’s table”, which comfortably seated 8. There is a large, flat-panel, high-def monitor mounted on one wall. Video and audio feeds from the kitchen will allow diners to witness their meals being prepared, allow the chefs to explain what they’re doing, and let customers ask questions while observing and dining. We Food Network junkies will love it. And, as an added bonus, the chef's table participants receive a DVD at the end of the evening documenting the event.
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Ron Johnson » Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:31 am

The interactive video component of the chef's tasting room is very cool. It would be ideal for someone celebrating a special occassion. As Jay points out, the service was top-notch just as we all came to expect at Equus.
User

Steve Magruder

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Apr 08, 2007 10:57 am

Louisville, KY - Iroquois/Auburndale area

by Steve Magruder » Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:36 am

Will Corbett's menu be posted online somewhere, such as at LouisvilleDiner.com? I am intrigued.
Steve Magruder
Metro Foodist
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Ron Johnson » Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:39 am

There's a link to the online version of the menu in the Louisville Business Journal story that is linked in the other thread about Corbetts.
User

Steve Magruder

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Steve Magruder » Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:50 am

Ron Johnson wrote:There's a link to the online version of the menu in the Louisville Business Journal story that is linked in the other thread about Corbetts.

Thanks, and wow! what a menu! Yes, I don't believe Louisville has ever seen anything like this.

I have a slight concern though, in that it requires something of a highbrow palate, which isn't a bad thing, but what if someone who can handle a menu like this brings a date who is the "I just wanna hamburger" type? Might there be an off-the-page menu for such folk?
Steve Magruder
Metro Foodist
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Ron Johnson » Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:53 am

Steve Magruder wrote:
Ron Johnson wrote:There's a link to the online version of the menu in the Louisville Business Journal story that is linked in the other thread about Corbetts.

Thanks, and wow! what a menu! Yes, I don't believe Louisville has ever seen anything like this.

I have a slight concern though, in that it requires something of a highbrow palate, which isn't a bad thing, but what if someone who can handle a menu like this brings a date who is the "I just wanna hamburger" type? Might there be an off-the-page menu for such folk?

The Chef mentioned a bar menu full of items like that. Not sure if it will be offered in the dining room, but shuld be available in the lounge or climate controlled patio.
User

Steve Magruder

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Steve Magruder » Fri Dec 14, 2007 11:01 am

Ron Johnson wrote:The Chef mentioned a bar menu full of items like that. Not sure if it will be offered in the dining room, but shuld be available in the lounge or climate controlled patio.

Sounds good... thanks for the info.
Steve Magruder
Metro Foodist
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Ron Johnson » Fri Dec 14, 2007 4:43 pm

If anyone finds link to online version of the winelist, which should be in place by tomorrow, please post it. I am really interested in seeing what they get.
User

David Clancy

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:09 pm

A couch in Andy's house.

Re: Corbett's: Give it FIVE stars!

by David Clancy » Fri Dec 14, 2007 11:19 pm

Robin Garr wrote:It's too late, and I'm too full, to go into much more detail now, but more will be forthcoming soon, I'm sure, from me and a few other forumites who snagged seats at tonight's soft opening at Corbett's - An American Place.

I'll say this, though: For food, mood, service, innovation and extreme attention to every detail, there is nothing else like this in Louisville and darn little like this anywhere. It's truly remarkable, and I strongly recommend that you get there and try it as soon as you can. (Opening night is Saturday, but they're booked full; should have availability next week, though, at least until the buzz turns into a roar. It will also be open for lunch starting the day after Christmas. (Open sooner, but on a limited basis and fully booked.)

Unbelievable ... I'm still glowing just thinking of the food, the service, the wine program, the atmosphere ... the old Von Allmen mansion has been beautifully, lovingly restored into a spectacular, comfortable dining venue. Silverware from Italy ... Schott Zwiesel titanium-crystal wine glasses - gold-rim china chase plates and white linen ... just go. You won't regret it. Trust me on this.
I have to go change my undies! Congratulations Deano on what will be the new measure of fine dining in this town!!
David Clancy
Fabulous Old Louisville
(Is this your homework Larry?)
Next