Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

Re: open on Thanksgiving day/evening?

by Mark R. » Fri Nov 25, 2022 9:28 pm

I wonder what the attitude would have been if you had tried to make a reservation for 2 on the cruise or in the restaurant? You can show up and just say that the other person could make it because of illness.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
User

Jay M.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:09 pm

by Jay M. » Fri Nov 25, 2022 10:28 pm

Carla G wrote:...And from there on out everything was fine. Great service, very good Bloody Mary and, for the price point, I thought the buffet was very good.

You should not have had to deal with all that, especially considering how accommodating and agreeable you were in your booking. Considering CQ’s longevity, can only speculate it was a lapse in training of a staff member in the finer points of the hospitality business. Glad it (mostly) worked out and Happy Thanksgiving - a little late!
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Sat Nov 26, 2022 8:25 am

Mark R. wrote:I wonder what the attitude would have been if you had tried to make a reservation for 2 on the cruise or in the restaurant? You can show up and just say that the other person could make it because of illness.

I wondered that myself. I definitely got the feeling I was denied booking because I was a single because she was checking her bookings before I said "1".
Jay M. wrote:
Carla G wrote:...And from there on out everything was fine. Great service, very good Bloody Mary and, for the price point, I thought the buffet was very good.

You should not have had to deal with all that, especially considering how accommodating and agreeable you were in your booking. Considering CQ’s longevity, can only speculate it was a lapse in training of a staff member in the finer points of the hospitality business. Glad it (mostly) worked out and Happy Thanksgiving - a little late!

That's how I feel Jay. I think it was a training snafu but also think that it's one restaurants might want to be aware of. Like I said, all the other aspects of my dining experience were spot on and when I left Many employees warmly thanked me for dining with them. I'll happily return but , in the future, I may book for two as Mark R. suggested.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
no avatar
User

Willie Myers

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:53 pm

by Willie Myers » Sun Dec 04, 2022 10:13 am

forgot to leave a note (oops!) but we went to Repeal at the Hotel Distil. It was EXCELLENT - both food and service. They couldn't have been nicer, the meals were delicious (I saved a turkey and had Dover Sole!). I had forgotten that years ago in Atlanta, we - who didn't cook - would make a regular thing of going to hotel restaurants for holiday meals. It can be a great "ace in your hip pocket" when you're caught out for a holiday meal!
Highly recommend Repeal!
no avatar
User

Willie Myers

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:53 pm

by Willie Myers » Sun Dec 04, 2022 12:05 pm

Carla G wrote:
Mark R. wrote:I wonder what the attitude would have been if you had tried to make a reservation for 2 on the cruise or in the restaurant? You can show up and just say that the other person couldn't make it because of illness.

Carla, what Mark said... I've made it a policy to always "round up" to an even number booking, i.e. 1 person - book for 2, five folks - book for 6, etc.
i do it in part because *some* restaurants will "round down" and, if you book for 5, they'll take a four-top and squeeze in that fifth setting. And that almost never works out to the benefit of the diners. Better to book for 6 and have that 6th person not show up!
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Tue Dec 06, 2022 11:30 am

Willie Myers wrote:
Carla G wrote:
Mark R. wrote:I wonder what the attitude would have been if you had tried to make a reservation for 2 on the cruise or in the restaurant? You can show up and just say that the other person couldn't make it because of illness.

Carla, what Mark said... I've made it a policy to always "round up" to an even number booking, i.e. 1 person - book for 2, five folks - book for 6, etc.
i do it in part because *some* restaurants will "round down" and, if you book for 5, they'll take a four-top and squeeze in that fifth setting. And that almost never works out to the benefit of the diners. Better to book for 6 and have that 6th person not show up!

I think this is excellent advice. I will impliment it from now on. I'll also check out Repeal as per your suggestion. Thanks!
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
Previous