Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Sadly, adding Ole Restaurant Group to our "nope" list

by Robin Garr » Mon Nov 07, 2022 5:39 am

Whoa! I had no idea.

Burrito Al Carbon … $29
Certified Angus Beef skirt steak, flour tortilla, queso, crema, roasted tomatoes, pico de gallo, onions, rajas, lettuce, avocado, refried black beans, rice
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Mon Nov 07, 2022 9:02 am

I'm going to agree with Silvio on this point. Some years ago ( while working for a restaurant supply house) as a newby salesperson for them, we were always asking, "How do we set our prices?" The answer was always the same. "Whatever the market will bear."

While recently in a beach town in South Carolina (where seafood is plentiful) I noticed that the pricing for raw oysters was very close to what's being charged by restaurants in Louisville. I found this odd since trucking/shipping wasn't the issue for them as the Louisville market. When I was asked I was told it was because the demand was so high they could easily get it. (shrugs,)

As long as the public will pay for it, they will charge for it. What a maddening fine line it must be for restaurants to know when to pull the plug on a food item after it's been priced out of their budgetarty lines.

SilvioM wrote:I don't blame him specifically for the prices, but the increase seems higher than other places. And (a bit of a tangent here....), I more I read about the economy and the record profits that some companies are earning, the more I think that as long as we keep buying things at the same rate, the more likely it is that prices will stay high or get higher. In a capitalist system, if businesses and/or suppliers can charge more, they will. And whether it is oil companies or big businesses that supply restaurants, I think that is taking place.

Case in point: Chipotle menu price increases in 2022: +15% Profits compared to this quarter last year: +26%. I can't square the circle on that one.

Unfortunately, I think that some small/midsized business will have to go under for any change to take place. (end tangent ;-))
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
User

Steve Shade

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:53 am

by Steve Shade » Sun Nov 13, 2022 6:51 pm

Agree. No problem with anyones beliefs .. go to chick fill-a and don't agree with theirs
a lot different than preaching hate.
"Don't accept your dog's admiration as
conclusive evidence that you are wonderful."
-- Ann Landers
Previous