Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

We Will Never Buy a Penzeys Spice Again!

by Mark R. » Thu Oct 20, 2022 7:36 pm

We have been behind spices from them for longer than I can remember and were saddened when the local store closed. However that changed completely yesterday. My wife received an email from them since she is on their mailing list but instead of begin and for their spices it was completely political pushing Mr. Penzeys political agenda, one which neither of us agree to!

He is certainly free to have whatever political opinions he wants but he should not be pushing them on his consumers!

Here is some of the text of the email:
Three weeks from today (sooner please if you have the chance) you get to vote. So just a reminder, from women’s rights, to Black lives, to LGBTQ+ rights, to saving democracy, to our grandchildren having an environment where it’s still safe to go outside, voting for Republicans is mean. You’re not mean. Don’t vote Republican.
So free I Will Vote Stickers to all with any purchase. And if you’re doing anything where having a lot of these stickers would help you, please write to us at editor@penzeys.com and let us know what you are doing. With time now growing short it would be helpful to include everything we would need to know: how many, when they're needed by, and the best address to send them to right in your email. Thanks!
I always enjoy your emails, but if you’re going to write to me about the price of gas, border security, and/or crime, just know I already agree that’s what the people funding all the Republican ads want us to think this election is about. But there’s also the reality that those buying these ads have no intention of allowing the Republicans to cut into record oil profits, build a wall, or do anything about crime other than once again pour more fuel on the fire.
And pointing out the last time Republicans were in charge all our cities were in flames isn’t quite the endorsement of Republicans you seem to think it is. With Biden, no flames. Thanks, Joe!
At the heart of cooking is the fundamental understanding that when we take the time to care for others, especially those in need, the world becomes a better place. The Republican Party was founded right here in our home state of Wisconsin on those very same ideals. The party has lost its way. Please help the Republicans to come back to their roots by not voting for them until they clean up their act. Elections matter.
And as a Cook you’ve earned the respect of all those around you. Please use that respect to cut through all the nonsense Republicans are promoting. And please make sure everybody you know has a concrete plan to vote. Thanks.

I know some of you agree with this political stance and that's fine, everybody in America is free to have whatever political position they want but he certainly should not be pushing on his customers if he expects him to remain his customers!
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

Heather L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:12 am

Re: We Will Never Buy a Penzeys Spice Again!

by Heather L » Fri Oct 21, 2022 9:42 am

I'm guessing she normally doesn't open/read their emails? It's definitely not new. They are welcome to say what they think and you are welcome not to shop there. Penzey's has decided (apparently) that speaking on what they believe is important enough to risk losing some customers. However, some folks also support them even more.
....And be faithful to
Local Merchants Too.
Never buy far off
What you can buy near home.....
(Wendell Berry)
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:26 pm

Lyndon, KY 40222

by JustinHammond » Fri Oct 21, 2022 10:39 am

"The idea is to eat well and not die from it-for the simple reason that that would be the end of your eating." - Jim Harrison

https://www.facebook.com/Louisville-Eat ... 129849554/
User

Michele Janosek

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jun 25, 2007 5:08 pm

Douglass Hills

by Michele Janosek » Fri Oct 21, 2022 2:31 pm

They have been quite outspoken like this for as long as I can recall. It is in their social media presence, email & text contacts. This is what made the hubs and I frequently shop there - their passionate stance on issues that matter to us made us Penzeys faithful!
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Fri Oct 21, 2022 4:45 pm

Heather L wrote:I'm guessing she normally doesn't open/read their emails? It's definitely not new. They are welcome to say what they think and you are welcome not to shop there. Penzey's has decided (apparently) that speaking on what they believe is important enough to risk losing some customers. However, some folks also support them even more.

Yes she normally reads their emails but normally they are not as much in your face and even easy to skip over compared to this 1! I don't mind vendor being passionate about causes whether I agree with Internet but don't throw it into my face like this email did!

User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Oct 21, 2022 5:25 pm

Michele Janosek wrote:They have been quite outspoken like this for as long as I can recall. It is in their social media presence, email & text contacts. This is what made the hubs and I frequently shop there - their passionate stance on issues that matter to us made us Penzeys faithful!

Same for us, Michele! I think when the Orange Orangutang took office Bill Penzey just said the hell with it and started speaking out ... and discovered that he gained a lot more business from folks like us than business lost to deplorables.
no avatar
User

SilvioM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:13 pm

by SilvioM » Fri Oct 21, 2022 7:51 pm

Their choice and yours, but I’m disinclined to do any of my shopping based on politics, be it spices or pillows. Many other thoughts. But this is a local food website, so I’ll leave it at that.
no avatar
User

Adrian Baldwin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:29 pm

Louisville, KY

by Adrian Baldwin » Mon Oct 24, 2022 12:18 pm

Deplorables. Lol, wow.

Very nice of you to take a stand and label what's likely a decent sized (conservative) segment of your audience here, Robin - while pouring flames on a political conversation in a forum we frequent to discuss food.

But since you brought it up ---> Things are pretty swell now, eh....never been better! What a difference & Congrats to your team! :lol:

Pretty pathetic & disappointing stuff from the Admin. What else?
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Oct 24, 2022 8:52 pm

Adrian, I'm sorry, but I guess I feel as strongly as Bill Penzey does about the dangers of Trump-style government. I'm pretty reasonable about everything else, though, especially food and drink. 8)
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Mon Oct 24, 2022 9:06 pm

Robin Garr wrote:Adrian, I'm sorry, but I guess I feel as strongly as Bill Penzey does about the dangers of Trump-style government. I'm pretty reasonable about everything else, though, especially food and drink. 8)

Robin, I believe you wer the one that actually brought politics into this thread. My statement with just that I didn't feel that Mr. Penzey's statements were good for business and that I would be no longer buying products from him because of it. I didn't bring up or even come close to mentioning Donald Trump, Joe Biden or any of the other various politicians who have done a great job of ruining our country recently! Mike Drop

User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Oct 25, 2022 8:36 am

Mark R. wrote:Mike Drop

Hey! I paid for that microphone! (Remember who said that?) :lol:
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Tue Oct 25, 2022 11:20 am

SilvioM wrote:Their choice and yours, but I’m disinclined to do any of my shopping based on politics, be it spices or pillows

Cute!

(normally agree . . . only place that draws the line for me is Chik Fil A)
Andrew Mellman
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Oct 25, 2022 12:50 pm

Andrew Mellman wrote:(normally agree . . . only place that draws the line for me is Chik Fil A)

Curious question, Andrew: Chik Fil A but not Hobby Lobby? Don't they bring simmilar political perspectives to their business? Different target audiences, though ... I don't think I'd ever go to a Hobby Lobby anyway. :mrgreen:
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Tue Oct 25, 2022 4:02 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Andrew Mellman wrote:(normally agree . . . only place that draws the line for me is Chik Fil A)

Curious question, Andrew: Chik Fil A but not Hobby Lobby? Don't they bring simmilar political perspectives to their business? Different target audiences, though ... I don't think I'd ever go to a Hobby Lobby anyway. :mrgreen:

Just my opinion, and more emotional than logical.

Hobby Lobby vocally takes a stance against a lot of things I favor, which is their right! I can agree or not, and patronize their stores or not as I choose. They give small amounts of money to a LOT of causes, from very Conservative issue organizations ($1000-3500 on average) to Nancy Pelosi's reelection campaign ($1400) (amounts are approximate from memory). They give generous health insurance to employees, but will not pay for abortions. Again, I agree with a few and disagree with many or most.

Chik owners donate (approximately) 10% of the profits from the chain to fund targeted media campaigns against the gay lifestyle, especially gay marriage. To me this is a major step up from what Hobby Lobby does, plus I happen to totally disagree with their stance on this issue. Additionally, in order to own a Chik franchise you must be a member of a particular branch of Christianity, and must be vetted (a two year process) through your pastor, your church's youth pastor, et al. Since I don't qualify, they don't want me, so I feel no need to do business with them!

Yes, they're on the same wavelength, but if Chik is a 99 in the scale then I see Hobby Lobby as a 63, and if I need something that they carry I'll shop there.
Andrew Mellman
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Oct 25, 2022 6:48 pm

Thanks, Andrew.
Next