Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Rich S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:07 am

Bandido is coming to St. Matthews

by Rich S » Tue Oct 04, 2022 11:51 am

Bubbakoo’s Burritos closed at 4214 Shelbyville Road sometime in the past month, and there are already signs saying that Bandido Taqueria Mexicana is moving in. This will be Bandido’s third Louisville location, along with one in Lexington.

I’ve seen people say online that the location is cursed, because the last two restaurants there have closed fairly quickly. But I suspect the problems were with the restaurants: I didn’t think there was much demand for a place like Top Round Roast Beef, and Bubbakoo’s was a national chain that just served average food, as far as I could tell.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Bandido is coming to St. Matthews

by Robin Garr » Tue Oct 04, 2022 2:11 pm

Sounds promising, Rich! Have you tried any of the other Bandidos? I love taquerias, the more authentic the better, but cutesy names like Bandido's make me wary. Am I off base?
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Tue Oct 04, 2022 2:25 pm

I looked up 4214 Shelbyville Rd to get an idea where we are talking about and it comes up Tossem Wing Factory. Is it that little freestanding place that was once a Long John"s?
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
no avatar
User

Rich S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:07 am

by Rich S » Tue Oct 04, 2022 3:03 pm

Robin Garr wrote:Sounds promising, Rich! Have you tried any of the other Bandidos? I love taquerias, the more authentic the better, but cutesy names like Bandido's make me wary. Am I off base?

I haven't tried Bandido, but I plan to check out the new location when it opens. Bandido seems to have a lot of fans at U of L; its first location opened near the campus in 2016. Supposedly Bandido is unusual for this area because it serves "California-style" Mexican food (no, I don't know what that is).

Carla G wrote:I looked up 4214 Shelbyville Rd to get an idea where we are talking about and it comes up Tossem Wing Factory. Is it that little freestanding place that was once a Long John's?

Yes, the St. Matthews building used to be a Long John Silver's. Oddly, the Bandido restaurant that opened this summer on Goose Creek Road is also in a former Long John Silver's.
User

Steve Eslinger

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:42 pm

Highlands

by Steve Eslinger » Fri Oct 07, 2022 8:56 am

Rich S wrote:Yes, the St. Matthews building used to be a Long John Silver's. Oddly, the Bandido restaurant that opened this summer on Goose Creek Road is also in a former Long John Silver's.

Makes sense, pirates and bandits are kindred spirits.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Oct 07, 2022 10:55 am

Steve Eslinger wrote:Makes sense, pirates and bandits are kindred spirits.

:lol: :lol: :lol: