Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

looking for suggestions

by Carla G » Sat Aug 27, 2022 6:46 am

My daughter and son in law are coming into town from London and I am looking for dining places that are unique to our area, something not commonly found in the UK. Past successes have been Lyn's Paridise Cafe (when it was around) , Oskar's, River Creek Inn, (when it was around) and almost any kind of good Mexican. I plan on taking them to El Mariachi for authentic Mexican, and maybe Buzz Parsons for their uniqueness. They are not interested in anything formal. One is a pescitarian so there is that to consider. Also suggestions on good sushi. Thank you in advance.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
no avatar
User

Rich S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:07 am

Re: looking for suggestions

by Rich S » Sat Aug 27, 2022 2:49 pm

It's not unique to Louisville, but I've always thought that Mayan Cafe is one of the most unusual restaurants we have. There can't be many places that serve lima beans as an appetizer, and make them tasty.
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Carla G » Sat Aug 27, 2022 3:20 pm

Excellent idea. Thank you.
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Sat Aug 27, 2022 3:58 pm

You could take them to J Grahams at the Brown for lunch so they could have an authentic Hot Brown. Especially at lunchtime it's not formal and is certainly something very original to Louisville. Also just seeing the grander of that hotel is worth the visit.

Another possibility would be Capt.'s Quarters, it's especially nice to sit out on the deck and a nice fall afternoon.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Sat Aug 27, 2022 4:57 pm

For seafood - depending on whether you want "Louisville" or "top food" - suggest Mike Linnig's for traditional Louisville not found in many other places, and either Seviche (latin seafood) or Hiko-a-Mon (Kyoto-style fish plus wonderful sushi) for top food.

Chick-n-Mi has a really nice patio, and unique food with a Laotian twist (and vegetarian options tho not much fish). August Moon has a good patio also, but Malaysian/Indonesian style Asian dishes including good seafood.

For "fancy," romantic, just good traditional Southern food recommend Buck's in Old Louisville, which has a broad (albeit short) menu that should satisfy everyone.
Andrew Mellman
no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:34 pm

by James Natsis » Sat Aug 27, 2022 10:53 pm

If you don't mind driving to Bardstown, there are several distilleries with quality dining, and are unique because no one can match our bourbon digs. Just to mention two--Bardstown Bourbon has a modern, Napa motif, while Willet has a more traditional, antibellum style ambiance. They're cool, hip places.
James J. Natsis
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:26 pm

Lyndon, KY 40222

by JustinHammond » Sun Aug 28, 2022 9:39 am

"The idea is to eat well and not die from it-for the simple reason that that would be the end of your eating." - Jim Harrison

https://www.facebook.com/Louisville-Eat ... 129849554/
no avatar
User

SilvioM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:13 pm

by SilvioM » Sun Aug 28, 2022 1:37 pm

JustinHammond wrote:Barn 8.

I enjoyed watching the first season of The Great American Recipe on PBS, also set in a barn. That alone makes me want to try this place (along with the thoughtful menu). It looks like it would especially be worth the trip on a nice fall day.
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Carla G » Sun Aug 28, 2022 5:11 pm

All wonderful ideas thank you so much!
User

Jay M.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:09 pm

by Jay M. » Sun Aug 28, 2022 9:44 pm

James Natsis wrote:If you don't mind driving to Bardstown, there are several distilleries with quality dining, and are unique because no one can match our bourbon digs. Just to mention two--Bardstown Bourbon has a modern, Napa motif, while Willet has a more traditional, antibellum style ambiance. They're cool, hip places.

These are excellent suggestions.

Also, be on the lookout for Log Still Distillery which has been under construction in Bardstown/ Nelson County. The tasting room is open, and a farm-to-table restaurant was well into construction when we visited in the spring. It could be completed by the time your family arrives. No idea when it might be finished or on pescatarian options there, though.

On the sushi front, I think Sapporo Japanese Grill and Sushi on Bardstown Road (Highlands area) is a good place - very popular.
User

Ray Griffith

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:39 pm

Highlands

by Ray Griffith » Tue Aug 30, 2022 8:17 pm

By all means, Wallace Station in Versailles. The quintessential Kentucky scenery driving there is enough to make it worth the trip…the most beautiful drive in KY, IMO. The menu isn’t necessarily Kentucky, but there are some twists that says Bluegrass (“Inside Out Hot Brown”, a country ham and pimento sandwich to die for, etc..) They have wraps/sandwiches with tuna, salmon and shrimp to satisfy the pescatarian.

The outdoor seating will be perfect for late summer.
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Carla G » Wed Aug 31, 2022 5:25 pm

Excellent idea Ray , thanks!
User

Ed Vermillion

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:32 pm

38 degrees 25' 25' N 85 degrees 36' 2' W

by Ed Vermillion » Wed Aug 31, 2022 9:10 pm

Cannot say enough positive things about the great special dining in Midway, KY. A very short drive to some very good food.

https://www.hollyhillinn.com/

https://www.heirloommidway.com/

Recommend a reservation for either.

Also, concur with Barn 8 at Hermitage Farm

https://www.hermitagefarm.com/food-bour ... estaurant/
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Carla G » Thu Sep 01, 2022 6:35 pm

I love Holly Hill as well. Gee, I've forgotten so many until reminded by all of you. Someone also suggested stopping into Las]Grange just to see how the train transverses the city. (The last in the state to do so I understand.)
Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. I am so excited!
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:26 pm

Lyndon, KY 40222

by JustinHammond » Tue Sep 06, 2022 9:09 am

"The idea is to eat well and not die from it-for the simple reason that that would be the end of your eating." - Jim Harrison

https://www.facebook.com/Louisville-Eat ... 129849554/
Next