Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Bavarian-inspired Common Haus Hall, a great new arrival

by Robin Garr » Wed Jun 08, 2022 8:47 am

Bavarian-inspired Common Haus Hall, a great new arrival

Pork schnitzel, a classic German dish, comes in a variety of styles at Common Haus. It's available as a full course or, pictured, a Jäger Schnitzel sandwich with a side of seasonal white asparagus.

The beloved German restaurant Gasthaus closed last month after nearly 30 years of delighting us with delicious schnitzel sauerbraten and more. So what are we going to go now, when we’re hankering for wurst or some flammenkueche or even a giant German pretzel?

Good news! A quick trip across the Ohio will bring you to Common Haus Hall, an outstanding recent arrival on the local dining scene.

Common Haus Hall is a sibling to New Albany’s Pints & Union, and it’s easy to see the family resemblance between both eateries in concept and style. But where Pints & Union brings the vibe of a British pub and curry house to the table, Common Haus Hall, as the name suggests, evokes a Bavarian bierstube.

Be aware, though, that while Common Haus will absolutely satisfy a German-food crave in the space left by Gasthaus, there are significant differences.

Gasthaus was authentic German, run by a German immigrant family. Common Haus is a German-style eatery and pub run by a couple of Hoosier gents who love food and drink. Both Common Haus and Pints & Union spring from the creative mind of restaurateur Joe C. Phillips with Roger Baylor as beer consultant.

“We don’t claim to be German or traditional at all,” Phillips said. “We are influenced by Bavarian range foods. We want to bring our version of Bavarian classics along with modern, approachable Indiana-based items as well. We’re focused on old and new, the past and present. Hence, schnitzel sandwiches!

Be that as it may, Common Haus feels an awful lot like a Bavarian bierstube to me. The old three-story brick building just north of the Ohio offers three floors and a stack of decks with views of the Louisville skyline.

Pick your floor, settle in with a good German beer and a Bavarian-inspired bite, and you will immediately feel a sense of Gemütlichkeit, the barely translatable German word that encompasses coziness, contentment and warmth, and well-being. ...

Read the complete article on LouisvilleHotBytes,
http://www.louisvillehotbytes.com/common-haus-hall

You'll also find this review in LEO Weekly's Food & Drink section later today:
http://www.leoweekly.com/category/food-drink/

Common Haus Hall
134 Spring St.
Jeffersonville, Ind.
(812) 590-1243
https://commonhaushall.com
Facebook: https://bit.ly/CommonHausHall
https://instagram.com/commonhaushall

Noise Level: Noise Level: The sound ebbed and flowed, but the noise in the long, narrow, brick-walled space can get ear-shattering when the room is full.

Accessibility: The front entrance is accessible to wheelchair users, but access inside is limited. The main room is down a short step, the upper floors and decks are served by stairs.
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

Re: Bavarian-inspired Common Haus Hall, a great new arrival

by Carla G » Thu Jun 09, 2022 7:15 am

We were just there last week. We ate on the outside deck and had a wonderful time there. Everything was just clicking along perfectly- great beers, good food and fine fine service. I hope they are there a long long time. :D
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
no avatar
User

Iggy C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:33 am

by Iggy C » Sat Feb 11, 2023 11:52 am

User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Sat Feb 11, 2023 7:57 pm

Iggy C wrote:Common Haus is closing, sadly.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CogPi1mtFL4 ... JmNzVkMjY=

I just saw that on Business 1st, sad to see it. We haven't even been over there yet and I doubt we will make it this week.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:34 pm

by James Natsis » Sat Feb 11, 2023 8:28 pm

Probably spent more time building than running the place, a unique and much needed concept in the area, just a few months before the warm months and ensuing foot traffic along that street, well suited to absorb the heavy summer traffic----I don't know. It doesn't make much sense to me. One would think that with that level of investment and creativity, that they had a financial plan to withstand a slow start in year one.

Whatever the case, this is indeed sad news. And to compound the sadness, its eventual replacement will likely be a facsimile of the typical burger/pizza/burrito places that are all too familiar. What a loss!
James J. Natsis
no avatar
User

Rich S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:07 am

by Rich S » Sun Feb 11, 2024 11:25 am

It looks like Common Haus Hall may be making a comeback, this time in Louisville. The Common Haus Facebook page says “German Beer Hall coming to NULU @ Akashabrewery.” The address listed is 909 E. Market St. in Louisville, which is where Akasha Brewing is. I wonder if this will be more beer-oriented than the original Common Haus.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sun Feb 11, 2024 4:42 pm

Interesting! I liked Common Haus quite a bit and thought it hit a nice balance between German food and German beer, but you're right, a reincarnation with a brewery at its core would probably be more beer-focused. I'd happily give it a try!