Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Sonal masters Indian vegetarian cuisine

by Robin Garr » Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:03 am

Sonal masters Indian vegetarian cuisine

What's a thali? It's a sampler platter that includes small portions of a variety of Indian dishes. Sonal's Kitchen offers a choice of four regional thalis. This one represents North India.

Louisville has three all-vegetarian Indian restaurants, and to tell you the truth, the question isn’t why there are so many, but why it took them so long to arrive.

We have about 15 Indian restaurants now, and I’m happy to pull up to a table at every single one.

But all-vegetarian Indian? That’s new. Shreeji Indian Vegetarian Street Food opened in November 2018. Honest Indian Restaurant opened just about a year later, at the end of 2019. And somewhere in that same brief window of time – “three years ago,” the guy behind the counter told me – Sonals Kitchen Homemade Authentic Indian Vegetarian Restaurant popped up in a former Moby Dick shop on Chamberlain just north of Westport Road.

Now, wait, you may be thinking. Isn’t vegetarian food a serious option at every Indian restaurant? Well, yes. Primarily for religious reasons, nearly 81 percent of Indians limit meat in their diets, and 39 percent consider themselves full vegetarians, according to a Pew Research Center study published in Nature.

In light of those numbers, you might ask why there aren’t more vegetarian Indian restaurants.

That’s probably because it hasn’t really been necessary. Virtually every Indian restaurant offers a variety of vegetarian items on its omnivorous menu. If you’re vegetarian or vegan, every Indian restaurant has options for you.

But the new arrivals open up a wider choice of vegetarian options, including not only main dishes but the deliciously tempting street-food snacks called chaat. ...

Read the complete article on LouisvilleHotBytes,
http://www.louisvillehotbytes.com/sonal ... vegetarian

You'll also find this review in LEO Weekly's Food & Drink section today.
http://www.leoweekly.com/category/food-drink/

Sonals Kitchen
3741 Pamela Rae Drive
407-1361
http://sonalskitchenky.square.site
https://facebook.com/sonalskitchen001

Noise Level: High-back booths provide quiet space; dB levels actually ranged a bit below the range of normal conversation.

Accessibility: The entrance and rest rooms are accessible to wheelchair users, but most of the seating is in booths or on tall chairs.
no avatar
User

Rich S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:07 am

Re: Sonal masters Indian vegetarian cuisine

by Rich S » Mon May 02, 2022 1:15 pm

Sonals Kitchen closed recently and has already been replaced by a Mediterranean restaurant called JJ Grill. It’s a shame that Sonals didn’t make it. I assume it was another casualty of the pandemic.

The JJ Grill website doesn’t seem to be working, but according to Google the menu includes things like beef and lamb kofta, shish kebab, chicken kofta, shish tawook, gyros, Mediterranean salads, taboola and falafel. It sounds interesting.
no avatar
User

Iggy C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:33 am

by Iggy C » Mon May 02, 2022 3:38 pm

Aw, that’s a shame. I only went there a few times but enjoyed it a lot when I did.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon May 02, 2022 9:08 pm

Iggy C wrote:Aw, that’s a shame. I only went there a few times but enjoyed it a lot when I did.

Same. I just don't get out to that quadrant of the East End that much unless I have a specific destination.