Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.
no avatar
User

Alanna H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:11 pm

Colorado Springs

Need some new cookware and knives

by Alanna H » Mon Mar 14, 2022 12:27 pm

My old FarberWare pots and pans and FarberWare knife set are pretty much worn out and I want to replace them with something nicer. I'm not a chef or even a home chef- I'm a home cook, lol, so I don't need anything fancy. I have a gas stove, so something that will work well with that. Only a small dishwasher, so I'll probably be washing it by hand as opposed to needing something dishwasher safe.
I loved my big Red Copper pan I had, but it started warping after just two years so I bought a new one as well as a smaller Red Copper skillet, but they just don't seem the same. I've had issues with them from day one.
I don't live in Louisville anymore, but have access to all the big box stores and, of course, online sellers. I don't have the budget for anything expensive, no matter how 'worth it' it is, but would like something nicer than the cheapest set Walmart has. Thanks for any suggestions you have!
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Need some new cookware and knives

by Robin Garr » Mon Mar 14, 2022 12:48 pm

Alanna, I'm not sure I'm a good source because I got very good kitchenware in the '80s and have kept it in good shape. My knives are Chicago Cutlery, but that once-great firm got sold in the dot-com bubble and now produce mediocre stuff. And a sturdy stainless steel saucier and heavy soup pot that's usually high-price but that I got as swag from Calphalon because their editors liked a free-lance piece that I did for them. :oops:

Sorry, that's not an answer!

Barring the advice about good, pricey brands like Wusthof or high-end Japanese blades, I'd suggest a look at Misen for quality, moderately priced cookware and knives. I have one of their nonstick (not teflon) saute pans that's a winner, and if I didn't already have that original Chicago Cutlery chef's knife that I dearly love, I wouldn't hesitate to get their knife.
User

Gary Guss

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:18 pm

Van down by the River

by Gary Guss » Mon Mar 14, 2022 1:52 pm

Go down to Dine on Preston and buy a nice 10" Chef knife with a white handle like a Dexter or Russell, also pickup a nice serrated bread knife and maybe a boning knife and a paring knife..
I have some carbon steel skillets that I really like, they are Matfer Bourgeat, I have a 10" and a 12", the larger one I use all the time (usually cooking for 3), dont know if I would buy the small one again. They are great because they can go right into the oven and are pretty non stick without teflon. I'd get a couple of nice knockoff cast iron 5 qt. enameled dutch ovens from Lodge and a maybe a couple of decent sized pots for pasta (stainless steel). Dont need to be fancy about it. Also get a nice big cutting board, I have two large plastic ones from IKEA. I would try to see what you can get at restaurant supply store first.

GG
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Mar 14, 2022 8:59 pm

Oh, yeah, cast iron skillet! Basic Lodge is just as good as any other. I still have a deep skillet (technically a chicken-fryer, but I use it for all purposes) and a dutch oven that my mom gave me in the '70s, and she'd had them quite a while before that.
User

Gary Guss

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:18 pm

Van down by the River

by Gary Guss » Tue Mar 15, 2022 12:30 pm

We have a large dutch oven that we got from Lindas Aunt who got it from her mother, so at least around turn of the century sometime. Very thin compared to what they make now and also finely grained. That thing is great for soups and stews and even baked beans.

GG
no avatar
User

Alanna H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:11 pm

Colorado Springs

by Alanna H » Tue Mar 15, 2022 12:59 pm

I do have a dutch oven that I use for soups and stews. I love it, but it's so heavy! After years of talking about how much I wanted a cast iron skillet, my son finally gifted me two for Christmas 2019. A REALLY REALLY big one and a small one. I rarely use them. First, I don't eat much fried food. Second, because I have three big dogs- two of whom are long hair- there is always some pieces of dog hair stuck to it (same with my cast-iron oven grates....someone invent fur-repellant cast iron!!!!) and I get frustrated cleaning it. Thirdly, I have no yet mastered cooking with them- probably because I rarely use them, lol. But the heat distribution gets the best of me. I'll overcook the outside and have a raw inside, even though I don't turn the heat up too high.

I'm going to look up everything mentioned here and see what I can find in a price that works for me. When I win the lottery I'm going to have a chef come stock my kitchen so I'll have everything I need, and money won't matter. I really do love cooking, and I cook a lot!
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Mar 15, 2022 2:37 pm

Good luck, Alanna. Check in if you have questions or issues, and we'll sure try to help!
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Tue Apr 05, 2022 5:15 am

I'm a big cast iron fan too. I would suggest going to the flea market and seeing if you can get a 9" cast iron. I see them on facebook Marketplace all the time. The thing about cast iron is it never warps so you can buy the old stuff and be fine with it's usability. In fact, I think, the older the cast iron the better. No need for the bigger size, they're too heavy anyway. I've got my great grandmothers iron dutch oven (they used to give them away free with the purchase of cast iron stoves!) that still serves me very well. I bet I've pitched 1/2 dozen non- stick assorted skillets and pans because they just don't seem to hold up. Since you are OK with hand washing you may want to look into some carbon steel from a restaurant supply house. Carbon steel has many of the great qualities of cast iron but they are much lighter. Restaurants use them regularly and you know the wear and tear commercial cooking has on cookware. Macy's does have their own line of stainless steel called Belgique (sp) that (once upon a time) was way cheaper then Revereware and has held up nicely. I use it for high acid content cooking like tomato sauces or soups. Tuesday Morning, TJ Maxx, The Home Store are wonderful places to get top of the line odds and ends like Calphalon, Allclad or Viking. My theory is fewer pieces (one iron skillet, one cast iron dutch oven and one (maybe two) good pans (saucier) but good stuff and you wont need to buy anything again for years. Have fun looking!
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Wed May 25, 2022 7:09 am

Alanna - Do you mind me asking what kind of cookware you settled on and how it's working for you? I'm always anxious to try something new.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson