Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.

Mozzarella

User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

Mozzarella

by Carla G » Thu Jun 03, 2021 11:46 am

I’ve never been a big pizza fan (there, I said it.Out loud.) and I was wondering if it was because I’ve been using cheapie mozzarella. I started buying more traditional forms of it like the varieties packaged in water, but it’s all still so mehhh. Am I missing something? Is it a thing like cilantro tasting like soap to some people because honestly, no matter what brand I get it always takes like soft, squishy vinyl. I love parmigiana and provolone but mozzarella seems like the wonderbread of cheeses to me. Have anyone had any that they could recommend that they genuinely enjoyed?
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Mozzarella

by Robin Garr » Thu Jun 03, 2021 12:43 pm

I like the fresh mozzarella balls that Lotsa Pasta makes on premises. They taste like the real deal from Italy to me. Lotsa will also usually have Italian bufalo mozz and sometimes burrata in water in sealed containers. All good, although the freshness of their own product usually makes the deal for me. We were spoiled from living in the land of Italian and Greek delis in NYC in the early '90s, but Lotsa Pasta's quality keeps me from missing them too much.
User

Gary Guss

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:18 pm

Van down by the River

Re: Mozzarella

by Gary Guss » Fri Jun 04, 2021 11:08 am

I'm with you Carla, Mozzarella is okay but to me kind of bland, it does melt easily so thats a plus. I much prefer sharper cheeses.

GG