Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

BurgerIm adds delicious Indian flavor burgers

by Robin Garr » Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:44 am

BurgerIm adds delicious Indian flavor burgers

BurgerIM's new chili chicken burger is actually a whole piece of roasted boneless chicken loaded with fiery Indian spices.

I don't normally go back to a place I've reviewed only a year or so ago, but I’m making an exception for BurgerIM. Why? Grace under pressure merits applause. Also, Indian food!

Here’s what I’m talking about: The owners, the husband-and-wife team of Nermal Raj and Veronica Michel, opened their doors in mid-March last year, just a few days before the pandemic shut down in-restaurant dining.

That was a palpable hit, but it wasn’t the only one. Around the same time, BurgerIM’s California-based parent corporation, Burgerim Group USA, spectacularly collapsed, its bankrupt owner fleeing the country.

Nevertheless, Michel and Raj persevered, promoting the place on social media and turning out burgers of excellent quality that drew consumer raves. Like the Timex watch of yore, they took a lickin’ and kept on tickin’.

Then I learned that they’ve added new menu items as they approach their first birthday April 17. Not just any burgers, either, but creative inventions infused with flavorful Indian spices.

That did it! Off we went, planning to enjoy the sunny but chilly spring day dining in the Vogue Center’s promenade. Then I noticed that it was sunny and chilly and extremely breezy too. Never mind! Indoors we went, and felt quite safe with the tables correctly spaced a little more than the required six feet. A table in a far corner made it even better. If I was in a higher-risk category and hadn't been vaccinated, though, I’d still choose takeout for now. ...

Read the complete article on LouisvilleHotBytes,
http://www.louisvillehotbytes.com/burge ... us-burgers

You'll also find this review in LEO Weekly's Food & Drink section today.
http://www.leoweekly.com/category/food-drink/

BurgerIM
3733 Lexington Road
The Vogue Center
901-1101
http://burgerimlouisvilleky.com
https://facebook.com/BurgerimLouisvilleKY
no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:34 pm

Re: BurgerIm adds delicious Indian flavor burgers

by James Natsis » Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:30 am

Places like this that dare to experiment creatively with various food cultures enrich a given local lifestyle. It makes eating an adventure more than just a simple duty. These folks took a safe and familiar food concept and put it on a path that allows for all sorts of twists and turns---no telling what they'll have in store 6 months from now. This is cool stuff!
James J. Natsis
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:04 pm

jThat's what I love about it, James! Of course, the fact that one of the co-owners is Indian made this an easy approach for them. :)
no avatar
User

Will Terry

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon May 04, 2009 4:00 pm

by Will Terry » Fri Apr 09, 2021 7:41 am

I went after the first opened and the food was decent but it felt like a chain burger where they weren’t sourcing their own ingredients...

Did that change with the corporate going under? I’m happy to give them another try.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:40 am

That's hard to answer, Will, since I didn't get that impression initially. I'm sure they aren't getting beef direct from the farm, but they're advertising halal meat now, so it's definitely not CAFO stuff. Or is that what you're asking?
no avatar
User

Nathaniel C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:50 pm

by Nathaniel C » Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:47 pm

I tried the Mirchi burger tonight, and it was delicious and spicy! Definitely plan to come back. (Also, since I have no originality, Lonnie's is probably next on my list! :lol: )
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:59 am

:lol:
no avatar
User

SilvioM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:13 pm

by SilvioM » Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:00 am

They also got the hotbytes-bump from me. I had the same burger, very good, also the fries with garlic topping. Only issue... for the first time in my life, I said the words "That's too much aioli!" The fries were drenched, will get it on the side next time. The burger was also oversauced, went through about ten napkins total. Taste was great though, will certainly return but will be more specific with my order next time.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:51 am

That sounds entirely fair, Silvio. I did not have those issues with saucing, but a charming inconsistency is part of the fun of independent locally owned businesses, I guess. :) I'm glad you still liked it. They seem to be good people who did the work of surviving and growing after starting on Day 0 minus 1 of the pandemic. :shock:
no avatar
User

Nathaniel C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:50 pm

by Nathaniel C » Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:33 pm

SilvioM, my burger was definitely dripping with beef juices plus sauce, however I didn't go through that many napkins (although I didn't try the fries). It was one of those affairs where you cut the burger in half and don't set it back down on the tray until you've finished. But, messy isn't always a bad thing, and it's much preferable to being overly dry--I've definitely done the latter on my grill a few times!
no avatar
User

SilvioM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:13 pm

by SilvioM » Sat Apr 17, 2021 5:45 pm

Yes, I agree with both comments. The moisture was from the extra sauce on the burger, but I'm not above using a fork on them when needed. And given some of the not-so-charming inconsistencies that I've dealt with in this pandemic/under-staffing/carryout-heavy era, I'll take this anytime. It was also nice to see that IM and the Coal's next to it were doing pretty well on my weekday visit.