Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Alanna H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:11 pm

Colorado Springs

Re: Portage House temporarily closing - reason, staffing

by Alanna H » Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:04 pm

JustinHammond wrote:I'm 6 weeks in trying to hire someone at $16/hr with a full benefits package. 50%+ of those that apply don't reply to contact, those that I offer the job can't pass a drug test. It's not just the restaurant industry. And I'm guessing most restaurants are not running a background check or drug testing.

Justin, just out of curiosity, what are you drug testing for? Colorado resident here, with a medical MJ card. I don't bother looking at federal or military contract jobs because they still test for weed, but everything else is fine since nobody cares about MJ. But cocaine can show up in blood or saliva for up to 2 days and urine for up to 3. Looks like meth is 3-5 days in urine and 2-10 days in blood. I have no desire to partake in either of those, had to google that info. Seems like it would be easy for a hard core drug user to pass a test, they just need to be clean for several days prior to testing. Weed users are the ones who get busted, yet that's not even considered a drug where I live (and hopefully the entire nation will follow suit soon).
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:26 pm

Lyndon, KY 40222

by JustinHammond » Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:24 pm

Alanna H wrote:
JustinHammond wrote:I'm 6 weeks in trying to hire someone at $16/hr with a full benefits package. 50%+ of those that apply don't reply to contact, those that I offer the job can't pass a drug test. It's not just the restaurant industry. And I'm guessing most restaurants are not running a background check or drug testing.

Justin, just out of curiosity, what are you drug testing for? Colorado resident here, with a medical MJ card. I don't bother looking at federal or military contract jobs because they still test for weed, but everything else is fine since nobody cares about MJ. But cocaine can show up in blood or saliva for up to 2 days and urine for up to 3. Looks like meth is 3-5 days in urine and 2-10 days in blood. I have no desire to partake in either of those, had to google that info. Seems like it would be easy for a hard core drug user to pass a test, they just need to be clean for several days prior to testing. Weed users are the ones who get busted, yet that's not even considered a drug where I live (and hopefully the entire nation will follow suit soon).

Every illegal drug. I’ve be fighting HR on the weed testing to no avail. I’ve even told applicants that if they needed time to study they could take it. Job listing details background check and drug screen. And yes you’re better off being a crack head than a weed smoker when it comes to drug testing.
"The idea is to eat well and not die from it-for the simple reason that that would be the end of your eating." - Jim Harrison

https://www.facebook.com/Louisville-Eat ... 129849554/
User

Steve Eslinger

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:42 pm

Highlands

by Steve Eslinger » Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:23 pm

There's the temptation to look back at the absurdity of prohibition and think that, wow, it's great that we've advanced. And then there's weed...
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:38 pm

Well, that’s certainly true enough. But there’s also the very sad story of our own, local Kent Taylor. He contracted Covid and even with his millions Covid made his life unbearable. I won’t take that chance. And, like you said, there’s a bunch of people out there and all are not vacinated yet and many refuse to be. For those that were limping by on $10 a hour a couple of stimulus checks won’t pull them out of the fire anyway.
Last edited by Carla G on Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
no avatar
User

Anthony G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Sep 09, 2016 5:08 pm

by Anthony G » Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:04 pm

Frisch's on Poplar Level road was closed today due to staffing issues. At least the drive-thru was. :(
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Carla G » Tue May 04, 2021 7:03 am

User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue May 04, 2021 7:06 am

There's a lot of truth in that story, Carla, but I wonder to what extent it applies to Portage House. From all I know, Dallas McGarity is one of the most fair restaurant employers around.
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Carla G » Tue May 04, 2021 7:09 am

I didn’t mean to imply he wasn’t. I apologize if that’s how it came off. I was mostly replying to some that might criticize the relief plan insinuating that it’s making some lazy.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue May 04, 2021 8:52 am

Oh, no, you're fine, Carla! :) I was just ruminating as a generality that even chefs who treat their staff very well are still struggling. It's a strange time, and the best we can do is give them our support and accept the reality that staff shortages may force us to smile and accept service lapses that we'd normally be angry about. Preaching to the choir here I know.
Previous