Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Simply Thai makes takeout delicious and easy

by Robin Garr » Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:54 am

Simply Thai makes takeout delicious and easy

Simply Thai's green curry is just as green as the name implies, filling a gentle greenish broth with fresh green beans.

Now that I’ve resumed dining in with last week’s Monnik Beer Co. review, it’s back to sitting down at a restaurant table every week, right?

Well, no, not necessarily. This week, for instance, I got takeout from Simply Thai. Before I tell you about the food, let’s talk about this.

Our dining habits, it seems, may have changed after a year of pandemic isolation. Now that we’re getting a peek at the new normal, it appears that some of the things we learned during this strange year are going to stick with us. Such as the way we do restaurant dining.

B.C. (Before Covid), I never did takeout or delivery. I like dining in the restaurant’s environment. I generally shunned alfresco dining, and I wasn’t wild about takeout.

But when the pandemic shut down indoor dining just over a year ago, suddenly takeout – ideally with the curbside pickup option – started looking a lot more attractive.

I’ll confess, even after Dr. Fauci said you couldn’t get Covid from eating stuff, I was a bit wary. But after a month without a restaurant dish, I couldn’t take it any more. I got my first curbside meal in April from MozzaPi, and it made me happy. Then just like that we were eating restaurant fare every week, and it worked really well for me.

Sure, I missed the restaurant experience, but plating an excellent meal that I didn’t have to cook made up for a lot of that. It was thrifty, too: It was easier to stretch takeout leftovers over a couple of days than to get and use a restaurant doggie bag.

So now that I’m in the habit of easy takeout, I don’t want to quit, and I imagine a lot of you don’t, either. Just keep in mind that to support our still struggling local restaurants we want to order often and tip as generously as we would in the restaurant.

I chose Simply Thai for lunch this week because it's a favorite. As I hoped, we got a good quality meal for a fair price in startlingly generous portions. My box of pad Thai weighed almost three pounds on the kitchen scale. Not only was it good, but it took me three or four days to finish it all. ...

Read the complete article on LouisvilleHotBytes,
http://www.louisvillehotbytes.com/simply-thai-delicious

You'll also find this review in LEO Weekly's Food & Drink section today.
http://www.leoweekly.com/category/food-drink/

Simply Thai
323 Wallace Ave.,
899-9670
http://simplythaiky.com
https://facebook.com/SimplyThaiSaintMatthews
Another location: 12003 Shelbyville Road, 690-8344
no avatar
User

Nathaniel C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:50 pm

Re: Simply Thai makes takeout delicious and easy

by Nathaniel C » Wed Mar 31, 2021 12:08 pm

Nice writeup, Robin!

I actually got take out there Monday. Their online ordering system estimated my order would be ready in 30-35 minutes and quoted me a pickup time of 40 minutes from the time I submitted and paid my order. I got there right at the quoted time and had to wait a considerable amount of time for my order. The hostess handed me my order and I had to ask her to get the two beers I had ordered. After another long wait, she came out with one beer and said they were out of the other. She offered me my choice of a replacement and came back with it fairly quickly.

The food was excellent, as always. I had not tried the curry puff appetizer, and was very impressed with the taste, although they seemed to be a little heavy on the "puff" part and light on the delicious filling. The pad kee mow with chicken was outstanding. I ordered it with a 4/5 spice level and may try a 5 next time. I also ordered bourbon salmon and veggie sushi, which was good, as well, but I'm not a sushi connoisseur and can't eat most varieties of sushi anyway, so take my opinion on that with a grain of salt. Like you, I have several meals worth of leftovers.

I love the food and have been going there for years, but the service has always been kind of a letdown for me.
User

Jeff Cavanaugh

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:49 am

by Jeff Cavanaugh » Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:23 pm

Nathaniel, the variability of actual to estimated wait times for takeout has been my biggest gripe during Covid. You place your order, get an estimated ready time and...who knows? You might have to wait 20 minutes longer after arriving at the stated time, or you arrive at the estimated time and you might find your food has been ready for 20 minutes, getting soggy under a heat lamp.

Taco Luchador gets props in this area. They're the one shop that always has my order ready *precisely* when the system says it'll be ready.
User

Steve Eslinger

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:42 pm

Highlands

by Steve Eslinger » Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:24 pm

Jeff Cavanaugh wrote:Taco Luchador gets props in this area. They're the one shop that always has my order ready *precisely* when the system says it'll be ready.

El Mundo in the Highlands is another one that is typically spot-on, time wise.