Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Highlands Taproom

no avatar
User

Nathaniel C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:50 pm

Highlands Taproom

by Nathaniel C » Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:44 pm

Ordered delivery from Grubhub on Friday night. The short story is that it was a swing and a miss. The long story:

Pulled pork nachos - I ordered this only because they stated upfront that they would be delivered disassembled. As we all probably know by now, assembled nachos get soggy and don't travel well. They were delivered as promised. However, the pulled pork, while moist, was excessively sweetened by the sauce they had put on it. Salsa, fresh jalapenos, cheddar cheese, sour cream, and melted queso provided a decent amount of flavor. The freshly fried tortilla chips were mediocre.

Captain Carl's Balls (yuk, yuk) - very bland mac and cheese crusted in panko and deep fried. I ended up dousing them in BBQ sauce because it's the only thing I could think of.

Jumbo Naked Wing - I ordered a single traditional buffalo wing to try for $1.49, because, why not? This was actually pretty good.

Whiskey sour - this was inoffensive, and they included cherries and orange slices to garnish the drinks you poured out of the bag.

Overall, this is typical bar food--not awful, but not something I'd seek out, given other options. If someone drug me there, I'd probably stick to the wings. I am told that their beer is good, but that's not an option for Grubhub delivery.
User

Steve Eslinger

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:42 pm

Highlands

Re: Highlands Taproom

by Steve Eslinger » Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:28 am

I've only ordered from there once, but I was actually quite pleased with their cheeseburger because they did the old McDLT thing and packaged the toppings separately from the burger and cheese. So I guess it was partially deconstructed, like the nachos. I thought it was a nice touch and kept the toppings fresher/crisper.