Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

J. Gumbo warning

User

Lonnie Turner

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:34 am

Highlands

J. Gumbo warning

by Lonnie Turner » Sat Mar 27, 2021 8:13 pm

We placed an order on the J. Gumbo website for curbside pickup at the Frankfort Avenue location about 6:45 today (90 minutes ago). My card was charged & we got the email confirming our order saying another would follow with the pickup time. Half an hour later nothing. So I drive over & there is a sign on the door saying that location is closed till further notice. It would be so cool if the order website didn’t say “Open Now” or if it at least would take orders & charge your card. :(
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: J. Gumbo warning

by Robin Garr » Sat Mar 27, 2021 8:17 pm

:shock:
User

Lonnie Turner

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands

by Lonnie Turner » Sat Mar 27, 2021 8:23 pm

Well, no sooner do I get off the forum than I get a voicemail from the ChowNow order site that J. Gumbo was unresponsive so they are canceling the order & will refund my charge within 24 hours.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Mar 27, 2021 8:57 pm

That's a relief! I was hoping there was a procedure for that. It makes me wonder, though, if J. Gumbo closed abruptly. :(
User

Lonnie Turner

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands

by Lonnie Turner » Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:03 pm

I checked the FB pages. Frankfort location doesn't mention a closure. The Grinstead FB says they are open now but when I drove by on the way back home it was dark. I was going to order from the Grinstead one but the online order page indicated Grinstead is closed Saturdays & open the other six days a week so I tried the Frankfort one. We try to support local eateries by carry out during the pandemic. Website says there's a location at Stony Brook. I wonder if that one is open.
User

Jeff Cavanaugh

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:49 am

by Jeff Cavanaugh » Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:26 am

JG is a strange operation. The different locations around town are operated very differently. The Stonybrook owners are great and generally run things very well. The Frankfort Ave location is very hit-and-miss. It's not infrequent for them to unexpectedly be closed during posted hours of operation.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:56 am

I believe the chain collapsed and left the remaining operations as independents with separate owners, although I could certainly be wrong about that. Frankfort Avenue, of course, was the original, with founder Billy Fox and his wife in charge. No telling what the pandemic did to that, of course.
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 am

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:39 am

Heretic though it may be, I've never been a fan. Not sure why JG has never caught on for me.
User

Ray Griffith

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:39 pm

Highlands

by Ray Griffith » Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:49 pm

TP Lowe wrote:Heretic though it may be, I've never been a fan. Not sure why JG has never caught on for me.

Agreed. Most of the dishes taste similar enough to say they’re the same. Additionally, there are not enough identifying elements in their Po Boy to justly call them Po Boys.
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:26 pm

Lyndon, KY 40222

by JustinHammond » Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:44 pm

Even in it's hayday, they struggled with consistency at the Lyndon location. Closed during posted hours, ect. We loved the voodoo and drunken chicken and bumblebee stew. We quit going after multiple trips with them being closed during posted hours.
"The idea is to eat well and not die from it-for the simple reason that that would be the end of your eating." - Jim Harrison

https://www.facebook.com/Louisville-Eat ... 129849554/
no avatar
User

MarieP

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:56 pm

St. Matthews

by MarieP » Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:45 pm

I miss Joe's OK Bayou!!!

J. Gumbo's was the "well, where else is there fairly cheap Cajun food in town?" spot. Roux was good-- but it only lasted 2 years! You would think, in a city named after King Louis XVI and filled with Fleur-de-lis, we could keep some good Cajun cooking!

The Bumblebee stew was the best part...
User

Jerry C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:33 am

Buechel

by Jerry C » Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:57 pm

I've always enjoyed mixing drunken chicken (1/3) with bumblebee stew (2/3).

The Stony Brook location has been fairly consistent for me.