Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Dining in at Monnik feels safe and comfortable

by Robin Garr » Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:33 am

Dining in at Monnik feels safe and comfortable

All but two of Monnik's 16 beer taps are devoted to its own excellent brews. Hauck's American Pilsner, a crisp, flavorful lager in the old style, is a favorite.

Last week, almost exactly one long year since my last venture inside a restaurant, I decided it was time to go back in. Masked up and fully vaccinated, we pulled open the front door of Monnik Beer Co., chose a table, sat down, and you know what? It felt great!

I felt ready. You may not. Let me emphasize at the top of this review that everyone must make their own decision about when indoor restaurant dining feels safe for you. Covid-19 is still a dangerous disease, particularly for your older friends, relatives, and neighbors. Be careful out there!

But the good news is that vaccines are rolling out at last. More and more of my friends have received the jab, or two. The metro's Covid-19 positivity rate is declining, and we're not a red zone any more. I hope spring break and the mobs that hit local bars for St. Patrick’s Day last week won’t change that.

Feeling comfortable with that second Pfizer dose established in our systems, Mary and I did our due diligence and identified several local eateries that seem to be doing a good job of keeping diners safe. Monnik clearly passed that test, with its carefully masked staff and tables that appear to even more distanced than the rules require.

I had a great time and didn't worry at all. Mary worried just a little. And we had a delicious lunch that reopened my eyes to what we're missing when we do takeout: Crisp, sizzling fries, frothy, fresh craft beer, dishes that come to the table warm, and beef and lamb still juicy and pink at the center the way they should be.

I'll continue to do takeout mostly until the nation hits herd immunity, but now that I've broken the spell, I'll be less wary about dining in when the opportunity beckons, and much less fearful of well distanced patio dining.

Monnik was a great place to start. Its portfolio of a dozen-plus craft brews is impressive, and its eclectic bill of fare offers elevated, appetizing dishes that go far beyond everyday pub grub.

Only a hectic work day limited me to a single tasting sample of its popular Hauck's American Pilsner, a crisp, golden flavorful lager in the old style. ...

Read the complete article on LouisvilleHotBytes,
http://www.louisvillehotbytes.com/monni ... omfortable

You'll also find this review in LEO Weekly's Food & Drink section today.
http://www.leoweekly.com/category/food-drink/

Monnik Beer Co.
1036 E. Burnett Ave.
742-6564
http://monnikbeer.com
https://facebook.com/Monnikbeer
https://instagram.com/Monnikbeer
Another location: 415 Bank St., New Albany, Ind., (812) 913-4259
User

Steve Eslinger

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:42 pm

Highlands

Re: Dining in at Monnik feels safe and comfortable

by Steve Eslinger » Wed Mar 24, 2021 12:07 pm

Monnik's patio/sidewalk has been one of our staples when the weather cooperates. I get my second jab Friday and since my wife has been fully vaccinated since February, we may be tempting an indoor experience soon and Monnik will be a candidate. I love their War fries, and when available, their Donder fries as well. The latter is certainly a meal in itself. The Bitterballen are also delicious. Monnik is one of those rare places that nailed it from day one and have never suffered a decline, IMO. I'll admit, most of my favorite beer styles are either Belgian or British, so I've always been biased toward them as a brewer.
User

Ray Griffith

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:39 pm

Highlands

by Ray Griffith » Wed Mar 24, 2021 1:24 pm

Their Reuben is the best I’ve had in Louisville.
no avatar
User

Mike D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:29 pm

by Mike D » Wed Mar 24, 2021 4:47 pm

We don't eat meat so, alas, the Brussels Sprouts (which I love) are out. The Kimchi dish probably won't work for me. We have been there previously with friends who live in the neighborhood and we liked the beer and the vibe, so we may stop by when/if we get back to indoor dining. We could at least stop by for a beer.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:09 pm

Different strokes, Mike. The kimchi dish was really good, though! Yes, the beer is excellent, but be aware that there are several other meatless dishes on the menu including at least one more main.