Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Vegan options

User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

Vegan options

by Carla G » Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:00 am

I’ve got family coming into town in late June. We will have all be vaccinated by then and we want to dine out for the first time in...I dunno...forever?!
Two members are vegans. They might swing vegetarian for one meal. What restaurant would you suggest? An available bar would be nice as well.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
User

Steve Eslinger

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:42 pm

Highlands

Re: Vegan options

by Steve Eslinger » Sun Mar 14, 2021 1:24 pm

V-Grits would be my recommendation. I'm not vegan, or even vegetarian, but they do the vegan thing very well. Robin has a very positive review from a couple months back. Oh, and they also have a brewery, so they would be a two-for.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sun Mar 14, 2021 1:28 pm

Right, since Morels has gone to occasional pop-ups and Half Peach burned out and went to catering only, V-Grits is the place, and it's pretty remarkable. Chef Kristina makes really delicious dishes that look and taste a lot like chicken, beef, and fish, but she used only fresh veggie, no fake meats, no soy protein isolate. You don't have to be vegan to enjoy V-Grits. Highly recommended.

Roots/Heart & Soy is excellent mostly Asian vegetarian fare, and they make fresh organic tofu in house, but there is some dairy. And both Shreeji and Honest Indian are all-vegetarian Indian fare. Really, all Indian restaurants have a ton of meatless options, with many dishes that also happen to be vegan, but watch out for paneer (cheese).
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Sun Mar 14, 2021 4:43 pm

Most Thai places also do vegetarian and vegan well and have menu sections for them, and if I remember Jasmine also has a lot of both vegetarian & vegan options.

If it's not a weekend (when places might be slammed) virtually every local place in the city can do a vegan or vegetarian dinner option if they don't already - just call a day or two in advance, say you'd like to come in but need a vegan option, and you should be fine!
Andrew Mellman
User

Alexis Rich

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:24 pm

by Alexis Rich » Sun Mar 14, 2021 6:39 pm

Last time I shared a meal with a vegan we went to Mayan Cafe. She was delighted with the options and made some dishes vegan by omitting the cheese. Honestly, not sure how you go wrong at a place where they’re famous for lima beans.

At Mayan Cafe, meat eaters will be really happy too.
User

Leah S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:31 pm

Old Louisville

by Leah S » Mon Mar 15, 2021 3:17 pm

Another vote for Roots/Heart & Soy. Also, pretty much any restaurant can alter a dish to be vegan/vegetarian. Vegetarian is easier, sure.
no avatar
User

Nora Boyle

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:24 pm

Clifton

by Nora Boyle » Tue Mar 16, 2021 2:21 pm

El Mundo has some great options. And the new Highlands location is very spacious. The vegan queso is free of gluten, oil, soy, and nuts. The mole and green chile sauces are vegan as well, and they are making their own vegan chorizo which is pea protein based that can be used as a filling for anything.
Also, highly recommend Naive. Everything there is so beautiful and tasty. And they are definitely vegetarian/vegan forward.
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Wed Mar 17, 2021 6:21 am

Oh my gosh! So many great suggestions! Thank you thank you. This is a tremendous help.
I knew you folks would have the answers! :D
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson