Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Jade Palace’s dim sum makes great takeout

by Robin Garr » Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:39 am

Jade Palace’s dim sum makes great takeout

Chinese broccoli and black mushroom noodle soup comes with the broth separate for you to mix at serving time.

I’ve been a big fan of Jade Palace’s dim sum ever since the late 1980s, when this popular eatery in what is now Westport Village introduced Louisville to these tasty, bite-size Chinese snacks.

But the other day I had a pandemic-related revelation: In these days when many of us are wary about dining indoors at a crowded restaurant: Dim sum makes a great takeout alternative. In fact, Jade Palace is closed to dining in during the pandemic, but it does offer takeout, curbside pickup, and delivery.

So we came, we saw, we carried out, and I was as happy as could be to spread an array of favorite Chinese small plates across our dining-room table.

Jade Palace’s online menu covers a vast range of about 300 familiar Chinese and Chinese-American dishes; the “Chef’s Specialities” section offers an extensive list of Hong Kong cuisine, with most entrees ranging in price from $9.99 to $16.99.

I recommend the dim sum, though. That’s where Jade Palace really shines. You’ll have to scroll down to the second page of the online menu to find it, just past the chow mein and chop suey.

Once you’re there, you’ll find some 75 of these bite-size delights, organized under small, medium, and large and priced to fit: Small items are mostly $3.99. Medium-size dim sum are mostly $4.99, while the large and extra-large items range from around $8 to $12.

It’s customary to conclude a leisurely dim sum lunch with a larger rice or noodle dish or main-course soup, and Jade Palace’s menu offers plenty of these options, too, most priced from $10 to $16.

There’s no way I can describe all 75 different dim sum in this space, so let’s just talk about the goodies that we brought home. Our order came out to curbside right on time and stayed hot in their white plastic-foam packages. ...

Read the complete article on LouisvilleHotBytes,
http://www.louisvillehotbytes.com/jade-palace-dim-sum

You'll also find this review in LEO Weekly's Food & Drink section today.
http://www.leoweekly.com/category/food-drink/

Jade Palace
1109 Herr Lane
Westport Village
425-9878
http://jadepalacelouisvilleky.com
https://facebook.com/jadepalacelouisville
no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:34 pm

Re: Jade Palace’s dim sum makes great takeout

by James Natsis » Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:09 pm

Nice choice of review, Robin.

Based on your experience around town, how many places do you estimate offer dim sum?
James J. Natsis
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:50 pm

James Natsis wrote:Nice choice of review, Robin.

Based on your experience around town, how many places do you estimate offer dim sum?

Two. Jade Palace and Oriental House. I'm not aware of any other, although it's crossing my mind that Jasmine Bistro in Holiday Manor may have some dim sum items on the menu. (Nope, just checked the website, and they don't. So just the two that I know of. If anyone wants to enlighten me about another, I'll gladly check it out!)
no avatar
User

Nathaniel C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:50 pm

by Nathaniel C » Sat Mar 13, 2021 7:26 pm

I finally got around to trying this one. Ordered several items for delivery.

From the regular menu - Chicken lo mein - this was excellent, on par with any other I've had.

From the dim sum menu:
Spare Ribs with Black Bean Sauce - didn't care for this, only ate a couple of bites. Not much flavor, and the ribmeat seemed to have a lot of tendons.
Roast Pork Rice Roll - these were okay, but nothing special.
Pan-Fried Turnip Cake - I really enjoyed these. They kind of look like a square of fish or tofu. Very good flavor.
Pan Fried Onion Cake - these were good as well, seemed to be coated in some sort of sweet flavored sauce.

I'll probably eat here again, but may focus more the "Americanized" menu instead of the dim sum.