Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

St Paddy's specials this year?

User

Kim H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:07 pm

Louisville

St Paddy's specials this year?

by Kim H » Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:37 am

I had been thinking about making a corned beef or something for St Paddy's day, but wow, is brisket expensive. So I was wondering if anyone knew of some local Irish specials? We're true fans of the Rover, but was wondering what the other restaurants might be running specials cuz I'm sure they'll be slammed. TIA! :mrgreen:
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: St Paddy's specials this year?

by Robin Garr » Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:04 am

Good question, Kim. I'm wondering how pandemic restrictions are going to affect that. Didn't the restaurant closings clamp down last year right around St. Patrick's Day? Thinking about the mobs around the Rover on March 17 in the past, I'm not sure I'd want to be in a mob like that right now! :shock:
no avatar
User

Heather L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:12 am

by Heather L » Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:39 am

Wiltshire Pantry is doing a special St Patty's Day pickup menu for the 17th. Deadline to order is this Friday, the 12th by 5pm.

https://wiltshirepantry.com/shop/product-category/happenings/st-patty/
....And be faithful to
Local Merchants Too.
Never buy far off
What you can buy near home.....
(Wendell Berry)
no avatar
User

Lora S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:51 am

by Lora S » Wed Mar 10, 2021 1:39 pm

Kim,

Today's Kroger Ad has brisket at $1.99lb. Less expensive than ground beef! I plan on purchasing a few to try my hand at pastrami and to have my brother smoke some at Easter.

Lora
User

Gary Guss

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:18 pm

Van down by the River

by Gary Guss » Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:24 pm

I got a smallish one from Aldi's pretty cheap, I've been baking them low and slow for like 3hours, slicing them thin and making corned beef on rye sandwiches and using the remains to make corned beef hash with eggs a few days later. My wife never liked Corned beef, but she likes it made this way.

GG
User

Kim H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville

by Kim H » Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:32 pm

Robin Garr wrote:Good question, Kim. I'm wondering how pandemic restrictions are going to affect that. Didn't the restaurant closings clamp down last year right around St. Patrick's Day? Thinking about the mobs around the Rover on March 17 in the past, I'm not sure I'd want to be in a mob like that right now! :shock:

Having watched how cautious they've been throughout this entire pandemic, I doubt the Rover would allow that. But if anyone is, I definitely don't want to be a part of a mob either!
User

Kim H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville

by Kim H » Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:33 pm

Heather L wrote:Wiltshire Pantry is doing a special St Patty's Day pickup menu for the 17th. Deadline to order is this Friday, the 12th by 5pm.

https://wiltshirepantry.com/shop/product-category/happenings/st-patty/

Thank you, Heather!
User

Kim H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville

by Kim H » Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:37 pm

Lora S wrote:Kim,

Today's Kroger Ad has brisket at $1.99lb. Less expensive than ground beef! I plan on purchasing a few to try my hand at pastrami and to have my brother smoke some at Easter.

Lora

Oh, that's awesome! Very inexpensive, thanks for the heads up!
User

Kim H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville

by Kim H » Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:42 pm

Gary Guss wrote:I got a smallish one from Aldi's pretty cheap, I've been baking them low and slow for like 3hours, slicing them thin and making corned beef on rye sandwiches and using the remains to make corned beef hash with eggs a few days later. My wife never liked Corned beef, but she likes it made this way.

GG

I didn't think to check Aldi's - good call, thanks! Between either here or the Kroger sale, I think I'm back to plan A! :D
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:57 am

Like Gary, I got a small one and put it in the crock pot with onions and some beer. Set it on low in the morning and when I came home 8 hours later it was done. Quite tasty with some horseradish sauce. Making Ruebens with the rest.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
User

Jay M.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:09 pm

by Jay M. » Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:17 pm

Kim H wrote:Having watched how cautious they've been throughout this entire pandemic...

That has been our experience, too, Kim, a couple times we’ve been to the Rover since all of this. Once outside and once for takeout, we noted they were as strict with COVID protocols as any place we’ve seen. I doubt that would change for St. Pat’s.