Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Willie Myers

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:53 pm

CURBSIDE NIGHTMARE @ Redlands/J Alexanders

by Willie Myers » Mon Feb 15, 2021 6:09 pm

We decided some weeks back that we would take our Valentine’s Dinner at a place we’ve always loved over the years, J Alexanders/Redwood Grill. We anticipated it would be quite busy, so we decided to do curbside pickup and enjoy it at home.
Again, assuming that they would be busy on the day, I put our order in online, eight days ahead (Feb. 9) at their website, using the “ChowNow” app from their website. I prepaid the entire order, including a generous tip. Later that day, I got an email with an itemized confirmation of my order, along with confirmation of the curbside pickup date/time and acknowledgment of payment. Deed done….or so I thought.

Yesterday evening, I arrived at J Alexanders/Redwood Grill at 6:00p as arranged. I took a numbered curbside p.u. slot and phoned them to let them know I was there. The young lady (F.O.H. hostess) thanked my and said that my order would be right out.

Time passed and I noticed that the car next to me was having big difficulties getting their order straight. After waiting for a half hour, her two salads, two prime ribs and two desserts turned out to be just the two prime ribs - - forget the salads and desserts! But eventually she got something she was satisfied with and left, leaving me to note that; (a.) I had been sitting there for 40 minutes and was the lone car left in the curbside/p.u. lot and (b.) had not been contacted by any staff to let me know what was up with my order? I flagged down the curbside/p.u. server and inquired and gave her the printed out confirmation email noted above. I was , of course, assured that “they would look in to it right away…”.
Right….

15 minutes later, someone pulled in next to me and a couple of minutes later, had their order brought out. As soon as the young woman gave them their food, she turned to me….”Sir, we ran out of Ahi Tuna and “they” tried to call you, but they had a wrong number……so would you like a piece of carrot cake?”
really?……
seriously?….
I was fuming…..
“You don’t have half of my order? You’ve made a half-assed effort to let me know? And, as I put my order in *EIGHT DAYS* in advance, just WHEN did you realize that you would not have what was required to fill my order? An item that you had already CHARGED me for?”….
And *WHEN* were you going to let me know all of this - - or just let me sit out there in the cold in your parking lot? And now you’re offering me a piece of carrot cake in recompense?”

I hurriedly backed out of the slot and headed for home. My wife and I wound up doing the “Christmas Story “emergency meal thing - - a hot meal at a trusted, nearby Chinese.

And as for J Alexanders/Redwood Grill? Hard to say because the food is *soooo* good there! But their version of the whole curbside/pickup thing is a disaster and amateurish….
My recommendation? Do “dine-in” only with them……at least you can get up and walk out, if the wheels come off.
((and there’s a pretty good Chinese, nearby!!))
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: CURBSIDE NIGHTMARE @ Redlands/J Alexanders

by Robin Garr » Mon Feb 15, 2021 6:48 pm

I feel your pain, Willie, but thanks for a story well told!
no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:34 pm

by James Natsis » Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:28 pm

Willie,
A betting man would have thrown the house at this one. I mean, what could have gone wrong?

You "put our order in online, eight days ahead (Feb. 9) at their website, using the “ChowNow” app from their website. I prepaid the entire order, including a generous tip. Later that day, I got an email with an itemized confirmation of my order, along with confirmation of the curbside pickup date/time and acknowledgment of payment."

That in itself is quite reassuring. But wait. ChowNow app takes no chances in your reassurance. They emphasize their commitment in that:

Our people are your people.
We love hearing from the hardworking people who keep restaurants running. From ordering support to marketing to restaurant development, we’re always free to chat and problem-solve.

Support At All Hours
Dedicated Experts On-Hand
Menu Maestros At The Ready

My gosh, your dinner is in the best of hands! All angles are covered and reassurances have been checked over more times than a pre-launch of the Thunder over Louisville fireworks show. Now all that's left is for the human beings behind the click.......uh, ..... to ..... oh Lordy, hold on a second............ show up...... and perform the service.
James J. Natsis
no avatar
User

Willie Myers

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Willie Myers » Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:06 pm

brilliant, James!!
no avatar
User

Alanna H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:11 pm

Colorado Springs

by Alanna H » Tue Feb 16, 2021 5:12 pm

I'm fuming just reading that! I can't believe the manager didn't come out to address this with you. Did they try to contact you to apologize afterward???
no avatar
User

Willie Myers

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Willie Myers » Tue Feb 16, 2021 5:24 pm

Alanna H wrote: Did they try to contact you to apologize afterward???
not a chance.... I'm now trying to deal with MasterCard, just to get my original payment back!
As for them trying to contact me, if they've tried, I'm sure they're still using that "incorrect number" that they laid all of the blame on last weekend!
no avatar
User

Willie Myers

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Willie Myers » Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:17 pm

update: The "ChowNow" company - the mugs that make the online ordering app that Redlands is using - have just sent me an email, dated 2/17/21, stating that my order has been "declined" by Redlands Grill and that they "apologize for any inconvenience"...
And that my money is being refunded....eventually
So, here's the chronology:
2/9/21 - I place the order via ChowNow. Redlands accepts the order, responds and takes full payment.
2/14/21 - I show up on time to collect the order and get stiffed...
2/17/21 - ChowNow notifies me that Redlands has "declined" my order and the payment will eventually be refunded.....

"this is a helluva way to run a railroad!"......
Leonor Loree, 1906
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:21 pm

The lawyers probably made them do that: "Admit nothing." :P
no avatar
User

Alanna H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:11 pm

Colorado Springs

by Alanna H » Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:40 pm

Willie Myers wrote:
Alanna H wrote: Did they try to contact you to apologize afterward???
not a chance.... I'm now trying to deal with MasterCard, just to get my original payment back!
As for them trying to contact me, if they've tried, I'm sure they're still using that "incorrect number" that they laid all of the blame on last weekend!

I bet that is a wrong number that is magically displayed correctly on your email confirmation.