Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

how restaurants can survive in cold/inclement weather

by Andrew Mellman » Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:57 am

The City of Chicago partnered with an Innovation company to solicit ideas for how restaurants can survive as the weather gets too cold for outdoor/patio dining. While the "winners" will be announced soon, the various ideas themselves are on this site:

https://challenges.openideo.com/challen ... ution-list

The entrees (entries) are shown in order of how many "likes" each has received from the public. Some are practical, some wild, some jokes, but there may be usable nuggets in there for finding.
Andrew Mellman
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: how restaurants can survive in cold/inclement weather

by Robin Garr » Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:26 am

Thanks, Andrew! That's fascinating, and very timely. As morning dropped to a chilly 58º under smoke-hazed skies, I've been wondering how the industry is going to face an Ohio Valley winter with its unpredictable Polar Vortex weeks. :(
no avatar
User

Mike L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:58 am

by Mike L » Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:30 pm

My limited understanding of the restaurant industry, as a customer, is that restaurants packed to the gills can barely make a small profit.

Now you add Covid. No matter how "safe" they make things or say they are, a significant percentage of the population is not going out to eat until there's a vaccine. Take that percentage away, plus Government mandated capacity limitations in some states, plus we're in a recession/depression where disposable income is at a premium.

Packed to the gills is now practically empty.

Then add cold weather.

I hope I'm wrong, and I hope someone inside the industry posts after me with a long list of how I've got it wrong. but I don't see many current restaurants that rely on sit down dining surviving past 2020.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:45 am

I want to believe you're wrong somehow, Mike, but I can't find any flaw in your reasoning. :(