Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.

Anybody cooking ?

User

Jay M.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:09 pm

Anybody cooking ?

by Jay M. » Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:44 pm

The “What’s Cooking“ thread has been dead for a year and a half. Anybody cooking anything interesting during the Covid times? With the disappearance of flour and yeast from store shelves surely someone is making bread or pastry - anybody?
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Anybody cooking ?

by Robin Garr » Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:21 pm

We were able to stock up on flour and yeast from Valu Market early on, Jay, and Mary has had some luck with Kroger by getting in early in the day. I keep thinking about artisan bread, but Mary has been using up most of it with a steady stream of biscuits. :mrgreen:
User

Jay M.

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Jay M. » Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:37 pm

I want to do artisan bread, too. I’ve been looking at “The Bread Bible” for inspiration and am fascinated with all of the starter methods she describes. Want to do bagels and croissants for the challenge. I have been making pasta and am getting better at it.
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:26 pm

Lyndon, KY 40222

by JustinHammond » Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:16 am

We have fallen in love with Feijoada. It's super easy, as healthy as you want it to be, and you can throw pretty much anything you want in it. We have swapped out the meat for sweet potatoes to make it vegetarian. Also another excuse to throw back a few caipirinhas.
"The idea is to eat well and not die from it-for the simple reason that that would be the end of your eating." - Jim Harrison

https://www.facebook.com/Louisville-Eat ... 129849554/
User

Jay M.

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Jay M. » Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:22 pm

Justin, I remember that used to be on Seviche’s menu. I really liked the dish but have never tried to make it at home. Great idea to pair the cocktail with it.
User

Gary Guss

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:18 pm

Van down by the River

by Gary Guss » Fri Jun 19, 2020 4:41 pm

Just made a big batch of Paula Deens Ham Salad and subbed Peppadew peppers in there instead of pimento, turned out great!
Making Baked Corned Beef tomorrow for sandwiches.. Previously made a batch of sourdough starter and made pancakes, and Cranberry bread from excess..
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:02 am

I’ve been cooking stuff I’ve been meaning to try to do for years and simply hadn’t gotten around to it.
I made home made bourbon caramels (really good), nut brittle (needed more baking soda) tried some new egg roll and wonton ideas (meh, waste of wrappers). An orange flourless tangerine cake (a keeper for sure) and next I’m going to try making chili rellenos. I expect a big mess with those!
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson