Like to cook? In this forum, both amateur and pro chefs can share recipes, procedures and cooking tips and talk about local restaurant recipes.
User

Kim H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:07 pm

Louisville

What foods are you craving during this quarantine?

by Kim H » Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:46 pm

OK, after 9/11, I started craving comfort food, some of it weird. Like, I wanted grilled cheese and tomato soup like my Grandma Moore used to give us for lunch. Campbell Classic Tomato mixed with milk, and plain white bread with Kraft American cheese (<- so they said) grilled in butter (with Goldfish Crackers!). With this pandemic/quarantine, I find myself again craving comfort food. Partly for the comfort, partly for economical reasons (what will stretch out?). But what's different is that I'm craving heat, like Scoville units. That's probably partly psychological, but it feels Real (I also love hot and connect that with me and my dad eating chips and hot salsa in the kitchen at night. And him telling me I was, "out of shape!" if I found it to hot. Miss you, Daddy!). What are you all eating and/or craving? How are you feeling, emotionally? Do certain foods bring you comfort?
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: What foods are you craving during this quarantine?

by Robin Garr » Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:18 am

Aw, what a sweet story, Kim!

Oddly, what I'm craving right now is a fairly pedestrian yet beloved dish: Pizza! And I don't want it out of a box delivered at home, I want it at a good old Italian-American pizzeria. What we can't have is what we want, I guess. :)

I hope this post gains some traction, but this forum section isn't too heavily traveled. If you don't get many responses, feel free to repost in the main forum.
User

Kim H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:07 pm

Louisville

by Kim H » Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:37 am

A good pizzeria pizza sounds wonderful! And yes, I know this forum doesn't get a lot of traffic, but the topic seemed most suited to this section. I'll move it if it doesn't seem to be getting many responses, thanks. Just thought I'd be a fun thing to share. :)
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:00 am

I agree, Kim. I liked it here, and I liked it on Teh Face Book. 8)
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:26 pm

Lyndon, KY 40222

by JustinHammond » Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:11 am

Anything I'm not comfortable making at home - sushi, ceviche, Thai food. Getting Coal's pizza tonight.
"The idea is to eat well and not die from it-for the simple reason that that would be the end of your eating." - Jim Harrison

https://www.facebook.com/Louisville-Eat ... 129849554/
no avatar
User

Nathaniel C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:50 pm

by Nathaniel C » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:58 pm

I'm sure I sound like a broken record, but I'm craving anything from Mojito in Havana and its sister restaurants, although I understand and respect their decision to remain closed. I've managed to lose a couple of pounds, probably from not being able to indulge in their delicious margaritas.

Robin and Justin, it's not an old-fashioned pizzeria, but Coal's is my favorite "nice" pizza place in the area. For something more mainstream, I also really like Jet's with the cajun crust. It has the Pizza Hut greasiness I sometimes crave with much better ingredients and flavor.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:19 am

Nathaniel, I absolutely love Coals. It's one of my top favorites. I've got to reserve a space in my heart for Mozzapi, though. Far out in the East End, past Anchorage, but worth the trip for wood ovens, intense focus, and dough made with flour that the guy mills himself from artisanal grains. :shock:
User

Ed Vermillion

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:32 pm

38 degrees 25' 25' N 85 degrees 36' 2' W

by Ed Vermillion » Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:44 am

Just like going back and rummaging through your old album collection (yes, we had vinyl before vinyl was cool) I've found myself cooking "old school" dishes. Last night was a version of Hungarian goulash only I did it with all veg. Lots of onions, garlic, tomato, sweet and smoked paprika with mushrooms for the meat and then served it over plain old elbow macaroni.

Beans and cornbread have always been a comfort staple in our house. Fried cabbage. Green beans. Roasted cauliflower. Roasted carrots, potatoes, mushrooms, and onions.

Tonight will be mac & cheese.

Stay safe, everyone!
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Sun Apr 19, 2020 4:25 pm

I’m craving yeast.
Donuts or dinner rolls, fresh bread. Or donuts. Maybe donuts. I could go for some donuts. :cry:
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson