Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Living Sober In An Industry Steeped In Addiction

by Robin Garr » Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:50 am

A thought-provoking article from Forbes, offers insight into what friends in the business tell me is a deep-seated problem that doesn't get talked about much.

Forbes wrote:Living Sober In An Industry Steeped In Addiction
Paul Spiegelman

In the industry that initially enabled his addiction, Steve Palmer is living sober. The hospitality industry has higher rates of substance abuse than any other, and as a young man, Palmer was swept up in the drugs-and-alcohol culture of the restaurant business.

“The industry enabled my addiction so readily and completely that I nearly drank myself to death on the job,” says Palmer.

Full article in Forbes:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/paulspiege ... 7ff9f12c3b
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

Re: Living Sober In An Industry Steeped In Addiction

by Robin Garr » Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:55 am

There is a Bens Friends group in Louisville if you or someone you know needs support. It meets on Sundays at 11 a.m. at Monnik Beer Co, 1036 E. Burnett Ave., Louisville 40217.
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:48 pm

Robin Garr wrote:There is a Bens Friends group in Louisville if you or someone you know needs support. It meets on Sundays at 11 a.m. at Monnik Beer Co, 1036 E. Burnett Ave., Louisville 40217.

I had to laugh when I saw where the group had their meetings, doesn't sound like the kind of place you would want to hold a meeting for people with an addiction.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

Brooke B

{ RANK }

Just got here

Tue Jun 07, 2016 2:49 am

by Brooke B » Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:05 am

I’m sure that it seems laughable to hold a sober meeting in a boozy spot, but I’d have to counter that Monnik, or another restaurant/bar location is perfect for some folks that have decided to choose sobriety: bars and restaurants are “home” and safe to many industry folk!! Especially with like minded people in attendance!! I know SO many restaurant employees that are sober and still work in their field.... feeling comfortable and welcome in old haunts without liquor seems like a good plan. Strength in numbers!!
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:16 am

Thanks, Brooke. I had missed Mark's response, but it needed a good push back, and you did it. It's really demeaning to industry people trying to fight addiction to tell them they don't belong in, well, a hospitality setting. That's kind of the whole point of Ben's Friends, isn't it?