Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Mary Anne

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:31 am

Louisville: Highlands

Lucky's Market Closing

by Mary Anne » Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:14 pm

Tomorrow starts Lucky's Market Closing sale, 25% off everything in-store, increasing to 50%, then 75% until the store is empty or Feb 12th, whichever comes first. I am surprised/not surprised they are closing.
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

Re: Lucky's Market Closing

by Andrew Mellman » Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:42 pm

Kroger had a big stake in them, and divested in December. Evidently they didn't have the cash flow to survive on their own.
Andrew Mellman
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:41 am

So now more than ever we are stuck with Kroger :oops: :oops: The city needs another good grocery store to come into town, one that actually thinks the customers need to be treated fairly as well as one that stocks national brand products! We keep losing grocery stores and Kroger gift becomes more and more independent and tries even less to provide what the customers want.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
User

Ron H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:10 pm

by Ron H » Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:30 am

First my tub drain cracks and starts leaking, and now this. Lucky's Market has had the best meat and produce in town. Plus you could get a beer while you shop. Now we're stuck with Kroger's mediocrity or Whole Foods price gouging. Great.
"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2000 of something." - Mitch Hedberg
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:58 am

Valu Market is decent, if you have one convenient to you. I still miss Doll's.The St. Matthew's Kroger on Hubbards Lane is pretty good, though.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:31 am

WLKY had a report from Biz First with a little more info ...
https://www.bizjournals.com/louisville/ ... l?ana=wlky
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:43 am

Admittedly there are only two stores, but Meijer is a full-size grocery plus store with good meat and produce departments and as wide a selection (at lower prices) as Kroger!

Also, keep on trying Target. When they first opened they were very high priced with limited offerings, but as time has gone by they are offering a broader selection while prices are going down.

And, while Walmart does not have an open butcher department their meats aren't bad, and their groceries are cheaper than anyone (except maybe when Target has a big sale).
Andrew Mellman
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:26 pm

Lyndon, KY 40222

by JustinHammond » Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:20 pm

Don't sleep on The Fresh Market for meat, some of the best steaks in the area.
"The idea is to eat well and not die from it-for the simple reason that that would be the end of your eating." - Jim Harrison

https://www.facebook.com/Louisville-Eat ... 129849554/
User

Jeff Cavanaugh

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:49 am

by Jeff Cavanaugh » Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:54 pm

Mark R. wrote:So now more than ever we are stuck with Kroger :oops: :oops: The city needs another good grocery store to come into town, one that actually thinks the customers need to be treated fairly as well as one that stocks national brand products! We keep losing grocery stores and Kroger gift becomes more and more independent and tries even less to provide what the customers want.

I would love for Wegman's to come here.
User

Gary Guss

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:18 pm

Van down by the River

by Gary Guss » Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:05 pm

Went by there today and the stuff is going fast.. dont think they will last another week
no avatar
User

bruce.pierce

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:07 pm

by bruce.pierce » Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:09 pm

Don’t forget Aldi’s and Trader Joe’s. Kingsley for steak.
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:53 pm

Jeff Cavanaugh wrote:
I would love for Wegman's to come here.

When Kroger bought Mariano's (a Chicago chain in the mold of a Wegman's) we were hoping it might become Kroger's upscale division and expand nationally. Instead, many reviews are saying Kroger "dumbed down" Mariano's to Kroger's level.
Andrew Mellman
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:20 pm

Jeff Cavanaugh wrote:I would love for Wegman's to come here.

Wouldn't we all! I grew up in Rochester New York where they are headquartered, It's the biggest thing I miss about Rochester of course I also miss "White Hots"

User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:27 pm

Andrew Mellman wrote:Admittedly there are only two stores, but Meijer is a full-size grocery plus store with good meat and produce departments and as wide a selection (at lower prices) as Kroger!

Also, keep on trying Target. When they first opened they were very high priced with limited offerings, but as time has gone by they are offering a broader selection while prices are going down.

And, while Walmart does not have an open butcher department their meats aren't bad, and their groceries are cheaper than anyone (except maybe when Target has a big sale).

We've never liked the meat or produce departments At Meijers. I do have good prices on other items however. Target pricing is competitive on many items but it's a pain to have to plow thru the rest of the store to get to the grocery section. Walmart has some good items but again without a butcher department or seafood department.

Actually, this area on the east and is almost becoming as much of "Food Desert" as many other parts of town. In the last couple years we have lost Valu Mart, Earth Fare, Fresh Market, Walmart Neighborhood Store (especially nice place to run into for a few items) and now Lucky's. That's 5 shopping choices we lost in about 2 years.

Aldi have a few nice items but certainly isn't a place you can do your full weekly shopping trip at. Whole foods and TJs are fine again for some items but having to go to the mall area to go to them it's really a pain, especially in November and December.

I know many of its keep hoping that another major national chain will come to the area. As mentioned earlier in this thread, Wegmans would be great but I really don't think that will happen in any of our lifetimes. I think a better hope is Publix which is now in Tennessee so that's not too much of a jump. Hopefully something happens soon to improve the shopping choices.

User

Leah S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:31 pm

Old Louisville

by Leah S » Thu Jan 23, 2020 4:39 pm

"Aldi have a few nice items but certainly isn't a place you can do your full weekly shopping trip at."

Aldi has MANY nice items, and we've been doing our entire weekly shopping (except for admittedly unusual items and spices) there for over 10 years. They've also committed to going fully organic. If you haven't been lately, try them again.
Next