Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Gogi Korean BBQ

no avatar
User

Dan E

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:35 am

Re: Gogi Korean BBQ

by Dan E » Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:59 pm

anybody have any updates?
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:31 pm

Nothing much ... Google pulled up a Kevin Gibson piece in Insider from July 22 with some nuggets about ownership, but he wasn't able to get anyone to say much ...

From wings to barbecue, Korean-style

Buffalo Wild Wings was a staple in the Highlands for a decade and a half at 1055 Bardstown Road, serving as a gathering point for college basketball games and drawing NFL fans on Sundays, but the business suddenly closed last November.

We reported in January that Sapporo’s owners would open a second location in the spot, which confused many, given the original location is just 1.2 miles down Bardstown Road. But owners U Kim and Mi Kim recently applied for a liquor license for the location, and now we have a better idea of what to expect: Asian barbecue.

The name of the restaurant, according to the application, will be Gogi 1055 Korean BBQ. While it was initially reported that sushi would be on the menu, the name suggests barbecue will be the focal point.

A message sent to U Kim asking for more details was not immediately answered. The license was requested for no later than July 30, so perhaps we’ll know more in the coming weeks.
no avatar
User

Rich S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:07 am

by Rich S » Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:55 am

I took a look through the front door about a week ago. There was a lot of construction going on, but it didn't look like they were anywhere close to opening.
no avatar
User

Dan E

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:35 am

by Dan E » Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:46 am

appreciate you sharing what you know, Rich
no avatar
User

Madeline Peters

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:15 pm

St Matthews

by Madeline Peters » Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:55 pm

Any updates on this restaurant opening?
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:03 pm

At some point you have to wonder if they've given it up. :( . On the other hand, people were saying the same thing about Noche when it took so long, but they seem to be going great now!
no avatar
User

Rich S

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Rich S » Sat Jan 11, 2020 3:37 pm

Madeline Peters wrote:Any updates on this restaurant opening?

They've got their sign up, and there's furniture inside -- including the tables with grills -- so I assume they're getting close to opening. I haven't been able to find a website or Facebook page for Gogi yet.
no avatar
User

Rich S

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Rich S » Thu Mar 05, 2020 12:57 am

Gogi is open now. I still don't see a website or Facebook page, but Yelp has a few reviews and plenty of pictures, including photos of the menu.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/gogi-1055-louisville
User

Steve Eslinger

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:42 pm

Highlands

by Steve Eslinger » Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:44 pm

Looking good. The pictures suggest a somewhat more artistic flair to the presentation than the other regional Korean spots. I'm excited to walk down and try it.
no avatar
User

SilvioM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:13 pm

by SilvioM » Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:51 pm

Was by there tonight but did not go in, was clearly crowded and looks pretty stylish hope to check it out this weekend. I can’t recall a place opening without a website or even an FB page, hope this isn’t a new trend.
no avatar
User

neal.johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:13 pm

Beechmont

by neal.johnson » Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:12 am

MichaelBolen wrote:Louisville is finally growing up and becoming a true "big city."

:lol:
User

Chris M

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:10 pm

The Ville

by Chris M » Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:10 am

Other than most of the Yelp reviews being paid advertising, I'm interested to try it.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Mar 06, 2020 12:47 pm

You Might Also Consider
Sponsored

Frisch’s Big Boy

Seriously, Yelp? "I'm not in the mood for Korean tonight. Let's go to Big Boy!" :twisted:
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Sat Mar 07, 2020 4:20 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
You Might Also Consider
Sponsored

Frisch’s Big Boy

Seriously, Yelp? "I'm not in the mood for Korean tonight. Let's go to Big Boy!" :twisted:

:D :D :D :D :D :D
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
User

Clay Cundiff

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:54 am

by Clay Cundiff » Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:15 pm

Had dinner there with the wife and kid last night. Still clearly in soft open mode. Waited about 40 minutes for a table despite there being a number of open tables, but totally understand them not wanting to go all out at this early stage and risk swamping the staff. Crowd was about 50/50 between Korean families and folks much younger and hipper than me. The space is very pretty, and the music skews more hip hop than the techno the owners favor for the playlist at Sapporo.

We went all in on the beef and pork combo grill for $99. Started off with a nice simple greens salad and an array of banchan: kim chi, chilled steamed broccoli, a fried noodle salad in a mayo dressing, fish cake, bean sprouts and a spicy jalapeno dipping sauce. Really liked the kim chi and the noodle salad, the fish cake was not at all my jam, and the broccoli and sprouts didn't have a whole lot of flavor. The grill came with pork belly, beef brisket, bulgogi and a couple of different short rib preparations- 1 on the bone and one off. All were tasty, especially the the boneless short ribs. The grilled meats were accompanied by a a skillet of cheesy corn with peppers and onions and a very good egg souffle, as well as a trio of sauces: garlic, chimmichuri and a salty- spicy miso paste. A small gripe: charging an additional $3 for a cup and a half portion of cooked rice (that costs maybe 20 cents to produce) on top of a hundred dollar meal seems a bit greedy to me.

Service was not bad for a soft opening. The staff was obviously slammed and still figuring things out as is to be expected. We were handed off from one server to another at the start of the meal, but still felt we felt well taken care of through out the meal. Our friendly server was very good about explaining the various items and the cooking process for each and we never wanted for drinks.

Overall, I thought it was a pretty good experience, but perhaps a bit overpriced. I would certainly go back, but probably wouldn't splurge on the big combo meal again. There was a $14 hot stone bibimbap on the ala carte menu that has caught my attention for my next visit, so there are certainly more reasonable options available.
PreviousNext