Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Carbon Steel Frying pans

User

Gary Guss

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:18 pm

Van down by the River

Carbon Steel Frying pans

by Gary Guss » Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:54 pm

Looking to buy a 12" one with my Christmas money... anyone have opinions on a good one. I have unfortunately a glass top electric stove and need something that stays flat.

Thanks in advance,

GG
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Carbon Steel Frying pans

by Robin Garr » Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:05 pm

Gary, have you ruled out something as basic and simple as a Lodge black iron skillet? They're affordable, they get the job done, and they last for a lifetime.
no avatar
User

bob.durbin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:20 am

by bob.durbin » Mon Jan 06, 2020 5:52 pm

Robin Garr wrote:Gary, have you ruled out something as basic and simple as a Lodge black iron skillet? They're affordable, they get the job done, and they last for a lifetime.

Lodge also makes a good line of carbon steel saute pans. I've had one for the last 6 years or so and it's never let me down. I think I got mine, which is 10", for around $30-$35 when I bought it. If you're near one of the bigger Kroger stores they have them in the housewares department.
User

Steve Eslinger

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:42 pm

Highlands

by Steve Eslinger » Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:34 pm

I love my DeBuyer carbon steel pan. While I also love my Lodge, Le Creuset and Staub cast iron pans, the lighter weight of the carbon steel is easier on the wrists, especially when you are talking about a 12" pan.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:47 pm

Steve Eslinger wrote:... the lighter weight of the carbon steel is easier on the wrists, especially when you are talking about a 12" pan.

That is a very good point that I hadn't considered, Steve. Wrangling a 12-inch black iron pan might be good for arm muscle development, but ... :mrgreen:
User

Gary Guss

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:18 pm

Van down by the River

by Gary Guss » Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:01 pm

I have a 12" cast iron skillet at our lake house..Here in Louisville I want to replace my 12" Teflon coated Thermolloy Aluminum pan with a carbon steel one mostly as its time to replace the Teflon one and I don't want the weight of the 12" Cast Iron, I'm looking at a Vollrath 58920 Carbon Steel Fry Pan which is 16 gauge steel which weighs less than the Lodge Carbon steel one which is 12 gauge. For $24 I'm going for it, weighs 2.7 lbs. I'll let you know how it works out. I'm mostly wanting to see how flat the pan bottom stays with heat, I need a flat bottom to transfer heat with a glass top stove. Also maybe going to try out an induction hotplate at some point. Back in the stone age, I had a carbon steel Wok and that seemed to work pretty well. Don't know where that thing went but don't have it anymore. Cooking is fun!

GG.
User

Steve Eslinger

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:42 pm

Highlands

by Steve Eslinger » Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:54 am

Careful about that induction hot plate, Gary. It may lead to an insurmountable urge to buy the full range. I know, I speak from experience. Of course, that’s a purchase I’ll never regret. Induction rocks!
Good luck with the pan. Vollrath makes good commercial stuff. I first tried a Lodge carbon steel pan but I replaced it with the DeBuyer precisely because it warped and wouldn’t sit flat.
ETA: If you absolutely cannot get a gas range, I cannot emphasize how much better induction is than a standard electric cooktop. Your statement that "cooking is fun" leads me to believe that you would certainly appreciate the difference. No more scalding, low enough steady heat to melt chocolate without a double-bolier, yet boiling times that shame the best electric range. I could go on...