Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Xmas openings

no avatar
User

SilvioM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:13 pm

Xmas openings

by SilvioM » Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:54 pm

Does anyone know of some 12/25 options, preferably regular menu? I looked up an old thread and Jasmine and Vietnam Kitchen were mentioned. The former is indeed open, but VK is closed the 24th and 25th. Any others? Thanks.
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

Re: Xmas openings

by Mark R. » Mon Dec 09, 2019 6:54 pm

The restaurants in many of the hotels are open on Christmas as a service to their guests. You may want to call around to be sure anyone's that you like will be. I know that J Graham's in the Brown is.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:04 pm

I don't have specifics, but Asian restaurants in general may be open - as you've already learned, that varies, so calling around is the best bet. Or watching this thread grow! :)

Also, here's a short list from Open Table, but it's uninspiring (in my opinion):
https://www.opentable.com/promo.aspx?m=43&pid=6
User

Ron H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:10 pm

by Ron H » Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:42 am

China One on Eastern Parkway will be open regular hours, and it's probably my favorite American Chinese food in the city.
"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2000 of something." - Mitch Hedberg
no avatar
User

neal.johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:13 pm

Beechmont

by neal.johnson » Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:12 am

Ron H wrote:China One on Eastern Parkway will be open regular hours, and it's probably my favorite American Chinese food in the city.

Yup. We just had carry out Saturday night. I'm not even vegetarian but their tofu is some of the best.
no avatar
User

Nora Boyle

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:24 pm

Clifton

by Nora Boyle » Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:13 am

Saw on FB that Joy Luck is taking reservations for the 25th
User

Michele Janosek

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jun 25, 2007 5:08 pm

Douglass Hills

by Michele Janosek » Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:54 pm

I just received an email from Mitchell's Fish Market and they are open from 12-8 on Christmas Day. It mentioned some Holiday Specialty items, but did not indicate a limited menu.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Dec 11, 2019 1:28 pm

Both J. Graham's and the English Grill at the Brown Hotel will have Christmas Day feasts, according to a news release. Here's the gist of it:

Brown Hotel celebrates the season with a Christmas feast
The Brown Hotel’s restaurants, the English Grill and J. Graham’s Café, will both offer a festive menu. For more information or to make a reservation, visit http://brownhotel.com or call 583-1234.

J. Graham’s Café will celebrate the “The Magic of Christmas on 4th Street” with a holiday buffet full of festive favorites. Southern sides like charred asparagus and shrimp jambalaya can be paired with hearty entrées including roasted turkey with cornbread dressing or hand-carved teres major steak. For guests wanting breakfast, hand-crafted Belgian waffles will be available with mushroom crepes and breakfast casserole. Enjoy assorted holiday sweets and fine patisserie creations from pastry chef Kimberly Maxey. The cost is $56 per person, plus tax and tip. $29 for children ages 4 to 10; and complimentary for children under age 4. Seating times are 11 a.m., 1 p.m. and 3 p.m.

At the English Grill, a classic Christmas meal will be served from 11 a.m. t0 4 p.m. Guests can start their feast with the seafood bar of poached shrimp and Jonah crab claws, oyster baked Rockefeller, smoked salmon and mini Hot Brown canapes. Pair entrée choices at various carving stations of roasted turkey breast, blackened beef tenderloin, slow-roasted leg of lamb or salmon en croute. Diners can enjoy a variety of seasonal sides like poached spiced pears, German potato salad, lobster bisque soup and cavatappi pasta salad. Finish the meal with holiday cookies or bread pudding. The cost is $71 per person, plus tax and tip; $29 for children ages 4 to 10; and complimentary for children under age 4. Live holiday music will be provided by the hotel pianist, Brad Tomlinson.
no avatar
User

SilvioM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:13 pm

by SilvioM » Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:26 pm

Good tips, I also learned that Sapporo is open. At this, point, that and Joy Luck are the favorites, will continue to explore (and post) other options.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:15 pm

Thanks, Silvio!
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Thu Dec 19, 2019 4:30 pm

We did Jasmine last year on Christmas Day and I guess they assumed they wouldn’t be that busy because of the holiday. Unfortunately they were way understaffed (ridiculously so) and it ruined the entire day. The surrounding chatter was primarily people apologizing to their guests for the woefully long wait. I was stunned since I’d had so many delicious meals there previously.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
no avatar
User

RichardM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:18 am

Louisville, KY

Re: Xmas openings & Christmas Eve

by RichardM » Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:25 am

With VNK being closed on x-mas and eve we've looked at places. Not really interested in Chinese buffet, so....

We're gonna go to Alhamra buffet at Mid-City Mall on Christmas Eve. They are open till 10 PM with all that Mediterranean goodness. We'll be there at 6:30 pm, so if you are looking for a nice place on Christmas Eve. Please do come out and break bread with us.

Richard
Richard Lord Meadows, Earl of Vienna, Marquess of Morgantown and Westover, Baronet of Parkersburg, and West Virginia’s Ambassador to the Portland Neighborhood.
User

Mary Anne

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:31 am

Louisville: Highlands

by Mary Anne » Fri Dec 20, 2019 4:23 pm

Honest Indian, the all vegetarian Indian restaurant in the strip mall in front of the Krogers at Hurstbourne and Taylorsville Road will be open 11:30 am - 10 pm on Christmas day, as well as New Years Day.
no avatar
User

Margie L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:47 pm

by Margie L » Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:25 pm

I got an email that Sea Hag will be open with a limited menu starting at 3:00 Christmas day.